AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Press, The - Milk and the Times that Never Were Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

Press, The - Milk and the Times that Never Were

Reviewed by: 12:46AM (09/28/07)
The PressMilk and the Times that Never Were
Record Label: Goodnight Records
Release Date: September 18, 2007

I think I’ve made it abundantly clear in previous reviews I am not a fan of cliché, overdone, yawntastic music. So when The Press’ new EP, Milk and Times that Never Were, found its way into my rotation, I was paying attention. You know when you were in elementary school and there was always that weird kid who ate his boogers, sniffed whiteboard markers, and ran around screaming at recess without his clothes on? Yeah, that kid. Remember how teachers and parents would always tell the other children, “Billy’s not weird… he’s just… unique”? Well then, let’s just say that The Press is unique.

The five-song EP features not one, not two, not three, but four vocalists. They’ve got some pretty weird organ riffs and two vocal intros. One of which (“I Still Make”) reminds me of the “I Like to Move It” song in that Madagascar movie, but with less lemurs - always a good thing. With so many different vocalists, the sound is very varied, especially for such a small selection of songs. “Krab Teeth” has clear Modest Mouse influences, with the frantic yelps sounding like Isaac Brock and the music sounding like his band. “Yosemite Sam Morning”, with its anxious beat, odd vocals, and “whoop whoop!’s”, reminds me a bit of the, now defunct, Bear vs. Shark circa Terrorhawk.

With Milk and the Times that Never Were, it seems like The Press are still struggling to find their sound. I wouldn’t be surprised if people were turned off by the numerous vocalists, lack of traditional song structure, and the variety in the songs on the EP. But, like the kid eating his boogers, I don’t think The Press care a whole lot about what anyone else thinks.

The Gooduns: “Bruised Male Ego”, “Yosemite Sam Morning”

Listen to The Press if you enjoy:Modest Mouse, Bear vs. Shark, streaking

Track Listing01. The Kindly Woodcutter
02. Krab Teeth
03. I Still Make
04. Bruised Male Ego
05. Yosemite Same Morning

Don’t Take My Word For ItMySpace, Official Site

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
04:42 PM on 09/30/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
Funny and informative. Another great review. I'll be checking these guys out.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums