AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Consequential Apathy: Destroy Rebuild Until Greatness Shows

Posted by - 12:47 AM on 04/05/12
Last week blogs went buzzing about the departure of two members from Chiodos. Speculation also spread like wildfire about a possible return to the group from former frontman Craig Owens. This week I've been jotting down some thoughts on why an original line-up of any band is so important to us. What makes one person's addition or subtraction so crucial to any band? Do we sometimes hold onto the past so much, that we constantly base our future expectations on one album or song written years earlier? Give the piece a read, and let us know your thoughts on it in the replies. I'm very interested in the examples you guys come up with on this one.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 43
12:52 AM on 04/05/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I just know that Bone Pallace Ballet is far better than Illuminaudio and DRUGS s/t. That is my stance here.
01:12 AM on 04/05/12
Zamilton Nerfy
is goin to Bear Prom
User Info.
Wrong. Craig Owens is quitting DRUGS to continue Cinematic Sunrise full time. Duh.
01:15 AM on 04/05/12
Zamilton Nerfy
is goin to Bear Prom
User Info.
Great piece though. It is wierd how people follow frontmen around through different bands and expect them to produce the same sound in each, as if the rest of the band has no songwriting and lyrical input at all. Im down for whatever Craig Owens does or doesnt do.
01:24 AM on 04/05/12
Prae Omnia
User Info.
Stop making me love you Adam.
02:14 AM on 04/05/12
RXBandit34
User Info.
Anthony Green. Saosin. Translating The Name.
02:26 AM on 04/05/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I commented on the actual piece, but I'm curious to see if people share or reject my views on this, so I'll throw it here as well.

"Where does the subjective fault lie, in the band or in our degree of never letting go of a moment that many of us have sort of grown out of, but some will never admit and others will forever deny."

In many cases, I blame the fans. Far too often fans succumb to their nostalgia, begging for a "return to form" or an original line-up when the bands have far surpassed their beginnings. When As Cities Burn played SILYAYD recently, Lunsford laughed and talked about how the hardest part was teaching himself to "be a bad drummer" again. So many of the bands we cling to were so raw when the started, a quality I can appreciate, but don't care to hear more than once per band - so why ask bands to emulate their pasts?

However, there are times when the band is at fault, with Taking Back Sunday and Dance Gavin Dance as the prime examples.

We all love Tell All Your Friends, but it seems we've all forgotten what the Fred-era did for the band. There was clear and obvious growth on WYWTB and Louder Now, especially in the composition. In the TBS Oral History from AltPress, their manager mentioned how Fred played such a huge roll in the songwriting and that no band member could refute his ideas, because Fred always had musical theory backing his suggestions. I attribute a huge part of the musical growth to Fred, and it's safe to assume Rubano played an important role as well. It was the height of TBS' popularity, and I don't believe that to be a coincidence.

Though I'm a huge fan of him as a musician, obviously something didn't click during the Fazzi-era. So the band opted to go back to the original line-up. The result was, in my opinion, a step backwards. The band went the safe route, and created an album I rarely play. There's nothing innovative about it.

No need for the lengthy explanation of DGD's missteps. They had a good thing going with Kurt and Garren, experimenting their asses off on Happiness, yet decided to pick up the snake known as Jonny. Now the guy has left them in the lurch for the millionth time, effectively ending what was a fairly popular band.

And yeah, I think Illuminaudio is easily Chiodos' best.
05:17 AM on 04/05/12
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just want more music from chiodos. Its been too long.
05:51 AM on 04/05/12
JordanKTM
Right Back At It Again
User Info.
I just know that Bone Pallace Ballet is far better than Illuminaudio and DRUGS s/t. That is my stance here.

I back this hard; sales prove it too (even if it was sceney weenies buying the record)
06:03 AM on 04/05/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
I commented on the actual piece, but I'm curious to see if people share or reject my views on this, so I'll throw it here as well.

"Where does the subjective fault lie, in the band or in our degree of never letting go of a moment that many of us have sort of grown out of, but some will never admit and others will forever deny."

In many cases, I blame the fans. Far too often fans succumb to their nostalgia, begging for a "return to form" or an original line-up when the bands have far surpassed their beginnings. When As Cities Burn played SILYAYD recently, Lunsford laughed and talked about how the hardest part was teaching himself to "be a bad drummer" again. So many of the bands we cling to were so raw when the started, a quality I can appreciate, but don't care to hear more than once per band - so why ask bands to emulate their pasts?

However, there are times when the band is at fault, with Taking Back Sunday and Dance Gavin Dance as the prime examples.

We all love Tell All Your Friends, but it seems we've all forgotten what the Fred-era did for the band. There was clear and obvious growth on WYWTB and Louder Now, especially in the composition. In the TBS Oral History from AltPress, their manager mentioned how Fred played such a huge roll in the songwriting and that no band member could refute his ideas, because Fred always had musical theory backing his suggestions. I attribute a huge part of the musical growth to Fred, and it's safe to assume Rubano played an important role as well. It was the height of TBS' popularity, and I don't believe that to be a coincidence.

Though I'm a huge fan of him as a musician, obviously something didn't click during the Fazzi-era. So the band opted to go back to the original line-up. The result was, in my opinion, a step backwards. The band went the safe route, and created an album I rarely play. There's nothing innovative about it.

No need for the lengthy explanation of DGD's missteps. They had a good thing going with Kurt and Garren, experimenting their asses of on Happiness, yet decided to pick up the snake known as Jonny. Now the guy has left them in the lurch for the millionth time, effectively ending what was a fairly popular band.

And yeah, I think Illuminaudio is easily Chiodos' best.

Lots of great points that most I agree with but I would love for someone to point out to me why people find Happiness to be DGD's "most experimental" CD. To me it clearly stands out as their most stripped down album with the least amount going on.

As well, I think people need to consider outside this site/similar mediums. If you went to a DGD show I guarantee that the majority of the audience would want to hear things off the the first DBM and songs with Jonny rather than any of Kurt's stuff. This logic applies to many other bands as well. The 'underdogs' are often praised here but the truth is the crowd just doesn't give a shit.
06:08 AM on 04/05/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Lots of great points that most I agree with but I would love for someone to point out to me why people find Happiness to be DGD's "most experimental" CD. To me it clearly stands out as their most stripped down album with the least amount going on.
DBM1 and Deathstar are pretty much straight post-hardcore records. On Happiness, there was a lot more funk and other influences, especially through the guitars. Even by your own definition of "stripped down," that would make it far different than the other albums, no?
06:12 AM on 04/05/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
DBM1 and Deathstar are pretty much straight post-hardcore records. On Happiness, there was a lot more funk and other influences, especially through the guitars. Even by your own definition of "stripped down," that would make it far different than the other albums, no?

True, I guess I typically associate experimental with more complex instrumentation which is shown on the other albums.
06:39 AM on 04/05/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
True, I guess I typically associate experimental with more complex instrumentation which is shown on the other albums.
Yeah, I hear ya. They just really tried some new things on Happiness, then got back the original crew and totally phoned in DBM2.
06:57 AM on 04/05/12
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just took the time to read this and i just wanted to say it was a really good read.
07:28 AM on 04/05/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Yeah, I hear ya. They just really tried some new things on Happiness, then got back the original crew and totally phoned in DBM2.
This exactly, I think Death Star might be better, but Happiness is there most different, and I like it about as much. Most risky is a good thing.

I just think it has a lot to do with people putting too much emphasis in a frontman or a line-up that made an album they love. I think Chiodos was much better off without Craig, but a lot of theirs fans were fans just cause they liked him, and probably didn't even give their new stuff a chance. Bands like TBS who kind of lose relevance and then go 'back to their roots' with an old line-up really aren't going to necessarily put out a better record, just give their old fans who gave up on them a reason to check out this new stuff. Its lame.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos