Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Technology Round-Up: April 6th, 2012

Posted by: Jason Tate (04/06/12)
We've got this week's technology round-up in the replies. Lots of cool shit this week ... including those glasses from Google that I hope do not become the new bluetooth headsets.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
05:20 PM on 04/06/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
The best Android phone in the world is revealed
Whereas the One X utilizes a plastic frame, the Evo 4G LTE is aluminum - and yes, the Evo kickstand has returned. This time, you'll be able to charge your phone while kick-standing. The One X's awful battery has also gotten a bit of a boost, from 1800 mAh to 2000 mAh.
Google Goggles are for real
Sure, Google's new augmented reality glasses are nothing but prototypes, but that doesn't make us any less excited (nervous, ambivalent?) about what could be the next major breakthrough in AR tech. Today, Google gave the rumors a name, "Google Glass," and showed off a GG prototype, which looks 50% like the future, and 50% like an alloy unibrow.
Apple Share prices top Google's
Read MG Siegler's op on this achievement here.
Next Gen Kindles will sport glowing screens
Back in November, I speculated that the new Kindles and Nooks and what have yous might have glowing screens, the likes of which we’ve seen occasionally but were never fully implemented. It turns out Amazon was thinking the same thing, and actually bought a company that was, I am told, the world leader in light-guide technology.
AT&T (finally) unlocking off-contract iPhones
We've just received word of a spicy strategy change, to be enacted this Sunday, that's sure to please the AT&T iPhone-loving masses. On Easter, select Ma' Bell customers with iPhones -- those off-contract with accounts in good standing -- will be able to request a carrier unlock for their device.
HTC Profits down a whopping 70%
What’s more, HTC took an even bigger hit when it came to net income after taxes — in Q1, they only raked in NT$4.4 billion ($149 million), compared to the NT$14.8 billion ($501 million) in profits earned this time last year. Ouch.

The secret dangers of Amazon Prime
With an hour left in the day, I've already picked 800 items. Despite moving fast enough to get sloppy, my scanner tells me that means I'm fulfilling only 52 percent of my goal.
Videogame journalist super team Vox Games gets a new name: Polygon
"For the last three months we've operated under the "Vox Games" banner (a temporary and admittedly generic placeholder) while we worked on identifying, obtaining, and ultimately creating the brand that we'll operate under for much longer than a quarter year. Polygon."
Canon 5D Mark III reviews start to pour in
They love it.
RIM confirms departures of two top BlackBerry, BBM execs
Word of a big exec shakeup at RIM leaked out just ahead of the company's quarterly earnings late last month -- something that was then quickly confirmed in said earnings report.
Is Apple working on a 7.85-inch iPad?
We've heard a number of rumors suggesting that Apple is looking to launch a smaller, more wallet-friendly version of its popular iPad brand and John Gruber, a well-connected tech blogger, confirms these reports.

Here's Gruber's exact words.
Flashback Trojan Reportedly Controls Half a Million Macs and Counting
The weird thing to me is that if true, this sounds like the worst malware problem Mac OS X has ever seen — yet there doesn’t seem to be any hysterical media coverage about it. Hypothetical Mac security problems often get hysterical coverage; now we apparently have an actual security problem and it’s no big deal?
Yahoo to Lay Off 2,000 Employees
How the once mighty have fallen.
Instagram hits Android
Follow me: jasontate
The Pirate Bay Offers Advertisements on the Home Page
What’s a 21st Century company to do when they need to raise money and don’t have a legal shoulder to stand on? Hell, what’s a 21st Century company to do when they want to make money period? Sell ads, obviously. That’s what The Pirate Bay has done, offering a large ad on the front page of their notorious website.
Samsung Reports First Quarter Earning
The company reported revenue of 45 trillion won ($39.8 billion), with operating profit of 5.8 trillion won ($5.1 billion).
Spotify User Growth Disappointing
Spotify’s user growth in the United States following its launch last year has been disappointing, according to a report on The New York Post. According to the report, there are not as many paying subscribers as Spotify had hoped, though that is in large part due to the restrictions that the music labels placed upon Spotify. Moving forward, the music labels should probably learn that they can’t limit their product and then expect it to break all expectations. It’s one or the other.
Facebook Chooses Stock Exchange, Ticker Symbol
Facebook has reportedly chosen the NASDAQ as the exchange upon which its shares would sell. There has been some public disagreement among those in the know about whether or not Facebook would choose NASDAQ or NYSE, but that’s apparently been settled. In addition, Facebook has also decided that it will be trading under the ticker symbol “FB”, which is, well, obvious.
Wait a CEO Said That?
Google’s CEO Larry Page released a rather boring letter, but there are some sentences in this long letter that really make you scratch your head. Actually they make you wonder: a CEO said that?
Facebook’s Yahoo Smackdown: This Is Why Consultants Shouldn’t Run Tech Companies
Facebook has the court of Valley public opinion squarely behind it on this one on the eve of its IPO–and that’s not always the case with Facebook. Tech blogs don’t agree on much, but nearly everyone is united in thinking the move by Yahoo was tantamount to giving up and switching teams from “innovator” to “hedge fund bitch.”
Twitter’s New PR Chief Never Used Twitter
I think Twitter’s new PR Chief Gabriel Stricker is a great PR exec from my past interactions with him. But the man went through the entire interview process without ever actually having sent a tweet?
Please Stop Hauling Out Steve Jobs’ Ghost

Editor's Note
: Feel free to add any stories in the replies you thought were big this week. The relevant threads from around the website are: Official Apple Thread, Official Google Thread, Microsoft, Windows, Zune, XBox (Official Thread), Facebook (Official Thread) -- check those out for great nerdy conversations throughout the week. I added in some other articles, commentary, and blog posts I found interesting around the internet as well. Oh, and you can follow @NicVargus on twitter and me @jason_tate.
05:26 PM on 04/06/12
Stormsubsides
User Info.
Google glasses look exactly like:
05:26 PM on 04/06/12
Stormsubsides
User Info.
Also, isn't a smaller iPad...an iPod touch?
05:35 PM on 04/06/12
Jason Tate
User Info.

Amazing reference.
05:35 PM on 04/06/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Also, isn't a smaller iPad...an iPod touch?
7.85 is closer to the Kindle size.
05:36 PM on 04/06/12
Stormsubsides
User Info.
Lol, it was seriously the first thing that popped into my head. I'd get it just to be able to scream "IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!" and it be completely socially acceptable. xD
05:37 PM on 04/06/12
Stormsubsides
User Info.
7.85 is closer to the Kindle size.
Fair enough, I honestly didn't even read that article it wouldn't load right on my computer. I'll assume you read it already and ask: What was the exact reasoning behind it?
05:47 PM on 04/06/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Fair enough, I honestly didn't even read that article it wouldn't load right on my computer. I'll assume you read it already and ask: What was the exact reasoning behind it?
Basically Gruber said that he knows they've made the prototypes to test it out - but that doesn't mean they'll ever release it. The idea would, theoretically, be to hit a new price-point in the same way as they did with the "iPod mini."
05:52 PM on 04/06/12
Stormsubsides
User Info.
Basically Gruber said that he knows they've made the prototypes to test it out - but that doesn't mean they'll ever release it. The idea would, theoretically, be to hit a new price-point in the same way as they did with the "iPod mini."
Ahhh, I see. Not a bad marketing strategy. It could be kinda nifty I suppose.
12:20 AM on 04/07/12
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
I can't imagine the horrors that cannot be unseen when you turn Safe Search off on Google Glasses.
01:13 AM on 04/07/12
fna4
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
For all the praise Apple gets, it's about damn time they take some of their massive cash hordes out of overseas tax shelters and create some jobs in this country. Spend some money on the innovation of the variety that got them to their lofty stature. Lately it appears as though the only innovation coming out of them is directed towards finding ways to avoid paying their fair share of taxes.
05:15 AM on 04/07/12
esposimi
H.E. Pennypacker
User Info.
Don't install Java and you won't have to worry about that Trojan. With Lion it's not installed by default anyway. But if you need to use an app that requires it (Minecraft, Photoshop) it will install automatically.
05:33 AM on 04/07/12
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
User Info.
First thought that popped into my head.
08:33 AM on 04/07/12
atticusfinch
Faith In More Than Steel
User Info.
Rdio>Spotify. The iOS app is heads above the Spotify iOS app. It's got a web browser based service, and it's slicker visually. I love Rdio.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests