Password

Album Review
Eyes Wide - When It's Raining EP Album Cover

Eyes Wide - When It's Raining EP

Reviewed by
Eyes Wide Ė When Itís Raining EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: December 6, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
When I say we live in a world of oversaturation, it doesnít feel groundbreaking or even particularly interesting. We all know this, on some level, and for the most part, refuse to believe it. These days everything is available in one billion different forms, and we pretend like this is somehow a good or healthy thing. It seems too easy to say that we have this proliferation because we ask for it and we never say no. More likely, we have all of these things because there are more of us than ever before, and not everyone can be some sort of creative force. So we borrow (read: steal) and hope that people are too dumb to notice or too lazy to care. Itís how a band like Eyes Wide or Citizen or Real Friends can have even the smallest fanbase. We say, because A works, so too must B. Itís some sort of running-in-circles equation.

And yes, fine, the differences between ďdarkĒ pop-punk bands who dream of mini-stardom on the No Sleep/Run For Cover main stage are absolutely miniscule. It usually comes down to how much money was spent in production and how much brainpower was spent on lyrics. The rest is kind of interchangeable. If all of this sounds very negative right now, thatís because I am sad and weird. Because honestly, I love the When Itís Raining EP. It surprised me and brought back to life this sort of thinking (sad) manís music that I became addicted to during the last half of 2011. Back then my mind was in a place where I could internalize, ďLike it mattered to the ones around you who let their dreams all rot to shit / I never claimed I got the chance to change my fucking life / But I, at least I triedĒ These sorts of sentiments, the type you only think after a crisis or, more likely, bad couple days at work, need a certain type of mind to receive them. So maybe itís a bummer I can connect again, but whatever.

Eyes Wide, however, donít deserve to be lumped in completely with all of these other bands. (And I realize Iím saying this in the third paragraph, but screw it.) Their ability to build from the three-chord format into something stronger and memorable makes for songs that sound alike but donít run together. ďDerailleurĒ basks in grungy overtones and drumming so perfectly timed you canít help but tap along. Opener ďWhen Itís RainingĒ inches its way along with snare drums until bursting into the albumís most overtly punk song. It all crunches with guitars so pleasing you almost feel bad if you donít immediately repeat it. (Or, god forbid, air guitar.)

Despite what I think having too much of one thing says about us, something like Eyes Wide is not a bad thing; Mostly because this is much better than the bands they call their peers. Itís more thoughtful, crushing and redeemable. No EP will last forever, and this one is no different. But if weíre going to cram things down our throat so readily, we can at least try to make it interesting things like When Itís Raining.

Recommended If You Like: Citizen, Real Friends, Daylight

Welcoming the ghostseyeswide.bandcamp.com

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
08:48 AM on 04/10/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
"When I say we live in a world of oversaturation, it doesn’t feel groundbreaking or even particularly interesting. We all know this, on some level, and for the most part, refuse to believe it. These days everything is available in one billion different forms, and we pretend like this is somehow a good or healthy thing. It seems too easy to say that we have this proliferation because we ask for it and we never say no."

I couldn't agree more. I've been trying to clean out my iTunes of stuff I simply "like" because I have plenty that I love and a limited amount of memory left on my hard drive.
06:52 PM on 04/11/12
WatchThemSuffer
User Info.
I loved Setbacks more man. Kodiak is a song I love to leave on repeat.
01:28 PM on 04/12/12
gurby
the kids can't lose
User Info.
heard this today for the first time. really solid release.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos