Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Consequential Apathy: In/Hardcore/Out

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (04/11/12)
Monday night I was able to witness At the Drive-In's first reunion show in eleven years at Red 7 in Austin, Tx. Walking back to my car, I had very mixed emotions about the performance. It was a moment where I looked back on a band that changed what I knew punk rock could be at a young age, and it made me reflect on what I know punk rock to be as a term now more than a decade later. You can read my thoughts on the night here. For all the complaints the site gets about not being "punk enough" - I hope this write-up reflects my sentiments on what you think you know and what time will show you when you get older.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
04:09 AM on 04/11/12
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
Loved the article.
07:12 AM on 04/11/12
ParkAvenue
Death Before Decaf
User Info.
I've never listened to ATDI, but this is a great read.
07:24 AM on 04/11/12
steve-0
i think youre an idiot
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i was downtown for a friend's show on Monday night andi saw people lining up for this and had no idea who it was for. Looked it up on my phone and was completely surprised. I didnt even know ATDI got back together.
09:16 AM on 04/11/12
JoeForPresident
Vocals/Guitar - Modern Chemistry
User Info.
great article.
09:49 AM on 04/11/12
dicktony
Plots//Latecomer//etc.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Saw the videos...REALLY underwhelming. The energy is gone, and Cedric just can't sing the songs the way he used to. Maybe the video just didn't capture it well?

On the other hand, ATDI needs to sit on the side of the stage and take notes whenever they play that festival with Refused. THAT'S how you do it.
10:10 AM on 04/11/12
MonstarGibson
...spin 'round carousel..
User Info.
10:22 AM on 04/11/12
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Saw the videos...REALLY underwhelming. The energy is gone, and Cedric just can't sing the songs the way he used to. Maybe the video just didn't capture it well?

On the other hand, ATDI needs to sit on the side of the stage and take notes whenever they play that festival with Refused. THAT'S how you do it.
I'm sure the videos capture it well. It WAS incredibly underwhelming. I understand that Omar's mother died a few weeks ago (which is terrible), but he looked like he hated being on stage. It didn't look to me as if he were sad, but more like he was bored and hated playing the show. I can only give opinions, as I was not inside his head. The rest of the band was minimally into it. Cedric and Jim were moving some and the sound wasn't bad, but the passion and energy was not present.

p.s. yes i was there...
10:35 AM on 04/11/12
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
"I've never seen them before. This was easily their greatest set ever."

Wha...? Still a good blog though.
10:37 AM on 04/11/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
"I've never seen them before. This was easily their greatest set ever."

Wha...? Still a good blog though.
true. i've seen live video. i talked to friends that were there that had seen them. they sounded amazing. they weren't punk kids, they were musicians.
10:53 AM on 04/11/12
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
true. i've seen live video. i talked to friends that were there that had seen them. they sounded amazing. they weren't punk kids, they were musicians.
i would not say they sounded amazing. it was far from flawless, especially the vocal performance. cedric was not bad, but he definitely was no where near perfect. musically, they were tight, but boring and seemed to lack the passion for the band they used to have (which is no surprising considering that in interviews they state that money is a big factor behind this reunion in the first place). i would have done the same thing i suppose.
10:59 AM on 04/11/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
i would not say they sounded amazing. it was far from flawless, especially the vocal performance. cedric was not bad, but he definitely was no where near perfect. musically, they were tight, but boring and seemed to lack the passion for the band they used to have (which is no surprising considering that in interviews they state that money is a big factor behind this reunion in the first place). i would have done the same thing i suppose.
Cedric's vocals are definitely going to be different though. he can't switch back from where he's gone with The Mars Volta. I thought it was pretty flooring considering this is the first time they played in eleven years.

as for the money issue, yes, they did it for the money. but i'm sure what they recouped for the Texas shows didn't come close to their guarantees for the festivals they're doing. I'm just giving the band the benefit of the doubt and I don't think it's fair to call it a bust because we're asking them to play like they did at the time of the music's creation. I don't expect that of any reunion. Even Taking Back Sunday's older songs with the new reformed line-up sounded off to me when I saw them, but it doesn't mean they didn't play well.
11:05 AM on 04/11/12
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
well, i agree that cedric's vocals have changed tremendously since ATDI days of old. he has improved significantly in his range and delivery while in the mars volta...however, i don't feel that these things made his vocals stronger or better at this reunion show. i understand it would be hard for him to switch back to that style, but it's just that his vocals weren't on, tone and range aside, they weren't where they needed to be even if his style is changed drastically. in my opinion he should have had an easier time with ATDI songs vocally now that his voice has much improved, but he just do it.

as for taking back sunday, i saw them back with the used when both bands were touring on their first albums (with the original line up) and they weren't very good live then, definitely did not pull of the vocal performance (either singer) at that point...so i wouldn't put it past them to suck now too. i do like taking back sunday, so this is not a stab at their music, but they have been pretty terrible live the few times i've seen them...mainly in the vocal department
11:13 AM on 04/11/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
well, i agree that cedric's vocals have changed tremendously since ATDI days of old. he has improved significantly in his range and delivery while in the mars volta...however, i don't feel that these things made his vocals stronger or better at this reunion show. i understand it would be hard for him to switch back to that style, but it's just that his vocals weren't on, tone and range aside, they weren't where they needed to be even if his style is changed drastically. in my opinion he should have had an easier time with ATDI songs vocally now that his voice has much improved, but he just do it.

as for taking back sunday, i saw them back with the used when both bands were touring on their first albums (with the original line up) and they weren't very good live then, definitely did not pull of the vocal performance (either singer) at that point...so i wouldn't put it past them to suck now too. i do like taking back sunday, so this is not a stab at their music, but they have been pretty terrible live the few times i've seen them...mainly in the vocal department
oh, i wasn't referring to TBS' vocal range specifically. A lot of the older songs sounded on "track" - so when I heard from John that Tell All Your Friends was made without a click track, seeing those older songs live now and hearing them "sound off" to me, that makes sense.

also, Omar said in an Alt Press article that he thought the unmastered version of Relationship of Command was rawer and he wished he went with that - NOW I WANT TO HEAR THAT VERSION. haha
11:25 AM on 04/11/12
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
oh, i wasn't referring to TBS' vocal range specifically. A lot of the older songs sounded on "track" - so when I heard from John that Tell All Your Friends was made without a click track, seeing those older songs live now and hearing them "sound off" to me, that makes sense.

also, Omar said in an Alt Press article that he thought the unmastered version of Relationship of Command was rawer and he wished he went with that - NOW I WANT TO HEAR THAT VERSION. haha
agreed, that would be awesome.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums