Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Wednesday Spotlight: Marriages

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (04/11/12)
So far this year a lot of my most anticipated records have lived up to my expectations or have even exceeded them completely. When I heard about Marriages late last year, my interest was peaked since the band contained three members of Red Sparowes. Being that it was a new venture for the musicians, no one really knew what to expect - instrumental? post-rock? twang? As Kitsune plays through, it's a well blended mix of shoegaze and brute force. As heavy as the record flows, it's Emma Ruth Rundle's melodic voice that truly carries everything together. "Ten Tiny Fingers" is heavy enough for Russian Circles and Silversun Pickups, but carries like the best Warpaint song in its overall wash. When the song moves into "Pelt" and "White Shape," it's some of the best cohesive flow on an album I've heard so far this year. Seeing the whole record played out this year at SXSW only enhanced my strong feelings on where this band can head in the future.

You can check out three tracks from the album here. It's due out May 1st on Sargent House.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
01:26 PM on 04/11/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
This album's a little all over the place, but it's pretty cool. And "Ten Tiny Fingers" is one of the best songs of the year.
01:41 PM on 04/11/12
sargenthouse
User Info.
I can always count on you Adam to get what our bands do.. Marriages is a band we are all super excited about, it's nice to hear our tastes continue to be shared.
02:32 PM on 04/11/12
kbi the crowing
dr( )ning the days away
User Info.
Just spaced out to "Ten Tiny Fingers", solid track. Yet another SH band to keep on my radar.
03:30 PM on 04/11/12
JoshSalas
User Info.
Glad Marriages is getting some attention on AP. Kitsune is an incredible album from what I've heard, would buy it in a flash if I currently had money.
05:42 PM on 04/11/12
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
This band's style is not an easy sell for me, but Ten Tiny Fingers is indeed a gorgeous tune.
06:07 AM on 04/12/12
Baines on Toast
This is reinvention
User Info.
Backed. The keys in 'Ten Tiny Fingers' trip me out.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests