AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Anti-Flag - A Benefit for Victims of Violent Crime Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.75
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.63
Musicianship 8.88
Lyrics 8.56
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.13
Lasting Value 8.31
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 87%
Inside AP.net

Anti-Flag - A Benefit for Victims of Violent Crime

Reviewed by: TheOtherAndrew (10/05/07)
Anti-Flag - A Benefit for Victims of Violent Crime
Record Label: A-F Records
Release Date: October 2, 2007

Always a band to speak publicly about social and political issues important to them, veteran punk rock group Anti-Flag have put together an EP of songs to benefit victims of violent crime. Earlier this year, bassist Chris #2's sister and her fiancée were tragically murdered, so the band took it upon themselves to put out a disc to aid those who are forced to experience the same thing. A noble cause, and fortunately, the music is well worth the price of admission.

A Benefit for Victims of Violent Crime is divided into two parts: studio songs compose the first seven tracks and live songs compose the final five. The live songs don't require that much analysis. All you need to know is they sound great and are very powerful renditions of previously released Anti-Flag tracks.

The most startling fact about the studio songs on the EP is they are all B-Sides. "Anthem for the New Millennium Generation," "Corporate Rock Still Sucks," and "Marc Defiant" were all rejected from the band's 2006 full length For Blood and Empire, but the songs are so good, you wouldn't be able to tell. Every song has the same intense level of energy you'd expect, and none of the songs are particularly poorly-written. "Anthem for the New Millennium Generation" and "Corporate Rock Still Sucks" are both on par with any of the best songs in Anti-Flag's discography, and opening track "No Paradise" could easily become a fist pumping anthem for their upcoming North American tour.

The two interludes are merely throwaway tracks, lasting a few seconds each. "John Ashcroft Was a Nazi" is simply nine seconds of an off-key rendition of the song "Let the Eagle Soar." It could have just as easily been an intro to another song, which probably means the band was just looking for an excuse to title a song "John Ashcroft Was a Nazi," so don't expect too much. They really don't even do that much to help the EP flow as a program.

All proceeds from sales go to educational bonds and The Center for Victims of Violence and Crime. Throwaway tracks aside, A Benefit for Victims of Violent Crime is an excellent release and a must-buy for all punk rock fans.

Standout tracks "Anthem for the New Millennium Generation," "Corporate Rock Still Sucks"

myspace.com/antiflag

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
08:59 PM on 10/06/07
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
Good review, Andrew!
10:28 PM on 10/06/07
I am Mick
http://www.worncolors.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
thats pretty beat about the interludes
I haven't listened to these guys since I was in like, 8th grade
I might check this out
10:43 PM on 10/06/07
absolutecrunk
wears leggings as pants
User Info.
"All proceeds from sales go to educational bonds and The Center for Victims of Violence and Crime."

I wondered if they were actually doing this for the benefit of violent crime. Nice move, dudes.
06:52 AM on 10/09/07
xjustinx
TEAM JESUS IS LOSING
User Info.
I haven't liked anything these dudes have done since The Terror State.

Their message is great, but it gets sort of repetitive sometimes, in my opinion. Same old "____ is a nazi" lyrics.
01:47 AM on 11/25/07
Joshua_Justice
User Info.
i got a week after it came out and its great.
911 for peace (live), no paradise, and no future are my faves.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums