AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Thursday Discussion: My Top 10 Favorite Hopeless Records Albums

Posted by - 01:25 PM on 04/12/12
At 5pm (PST) tonight we'll have the fine folks from Hopeless Records here to chat on the website. It's definitely going to be a good time, and I wanted to make sure I got my "Thursday Discussion" topic up before it gets too close to the chat. With that in mind, I thought it made sense to pick my top 10 favorite Hopeless Records' releases. While I'm not expecting this one to be quite as giant as the Drive-Thru list, there are some ridiculously awesome albums in the Hopeless catalog.

If you haven't checked these ones out yet - I definitely recommend you do. I included links to streams where appropriate. Feel free to add in your own favorites as well. Oh, and don't forget to come back tonight at 5pm PST to chat with the people behind the label. Oh, and yes - I'm including artists on the Sub City label as part of this. Those totally count.

1) Thrice - The Illusion of Safety
NoteThis album changed the kind of music I was listening to at the time. The changes between melodic and loud. The incredible guitar work. The lyrics. The vocal passion. I was just blown away by everything coming out of my speakers. The band has since gone on to be one of my all time favorites ... but I can still return to this album and get transported back.

Listen: Rdio

2) The Dangerous Summer - Reach for the Sun
NoteI remember the first time I heard this album, and knew before the end of my first listen it was going to go down as a classic. There's just something about the way AJ writes that puts you into the words. You can feel the songs. You can get lost within the melodies. It remains one of the strongest debut full-lengths I've heard.

3) Samiam - Astray
NoteSamiam were one of those bands that when I first heard them (2000), I was just way more into the pop-punk side of things to really "get" what they were doing. So, it took a few yearshttp://www.absolutepunk.net/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=165 for me to come back and revisit them. When I did, I realized how great they were. I should have paid more attention to them back in the day. This album, Astray, has always been one of my favorite from them -- it's got this raw quality to it. Almost a Jawbreaker and Get Up Kids thing going on.

4) Against All Authority - 24 Hour Roadside Resistance
NoteIn your face punk-rock. One of those albums that my parents hated. One of those albums I listened to because my parents hated it. I haven't listened to these guys in a while ... but put on the album while writing this piece, and it's still awesome. I think "Dinkas When I Close My Eyes" remains one of those staple "how the fuck is he singing like that, and how does it work?" songs.

5) Yellowcard - When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes.
NoteYellowcard's return from hiatus album holds up extremely well in the band's catalog. If I'm honest with myself, I know that they're higher in this list based on that catalog than this album, singularly. However, I do believe it's one of the best albums released from the label. Combining the (awesome) acoustic album as well, we can clearly see why Hopeless is destined to continue releasing great albums with their current roster.

6) The Wonder Years - Suburbia I've Given You All and Now I'm Nothing
NoteArguably the biggest pop-punk band out there right now - and undeniably catching the ears of an entire new generation of music lovers. It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to see that these guys are doing something right. This is the kind of album that led to such a followig that you know a bunch of major label execs are looking at each other and just flat out not understanding how it happened. Welp, the truth is the band wrote a bunch of honest songs, built an organic fan-base devoid of gimmicks, and put on one helluva good show. They've got the torch ... I'm excited to see where it takes them.

7) All Time Low - So Wrong, It's Right
NoteThey might wear their influences on their sleeves with this one - but it's emphasis on pop-punk goodness. It's an album that sounds like a bunch of Blink, NFG, and FOB fans wrote an album. And it works. "Dear Maria, Count Me In" is a classic. This album sort of started the new wave for the label ... and it's been exciting to watch the ride. I think it was "Six Feet Under the Stars" that I first heard and had that, "well that band is going to be huge" moment.

8) Mike Park - For the Love of Music
NoteMike Park's progressive stance has always been one of my favorite things about him, sure, I enjoyed Skankin Pickle, and Asian Man records has put out some fantastic releases ... but when looking over his catalog I think this is the album that most resonated with me. It just sounds so refreshingly real. Like someone sat down and wrote a bunch of songs with a guitar - let the mic record it all - and put it on an album.

9) Mustard Plug - Evildoers Beware!
NoteSka's no longer cool ... this album is still great. It has so much life -- and with that so much ridiculousness about it. There's just something about upstrumming and horns that is fun. Plus, this album has "The Beer Song" on it ... which is basically an anthem full of sing-a-long "wooaaaahs" and late 90's memories.

10) Take Action Tour Compilations
NoteThere are 10 of these in total ... and looking over the track lists you can quite literally trace the history of our scene from around 2001 onward. I think some of my favorites are Vol 3, 4, and 5 -- but the compilations just play a small role in how the Take Action! Tour itself has played a large role in our landscape over the past 10 years and how the mission statement behind it remains important to this day.

Note: If you've got ideas for future 'Thursday Discussion' topics, feel free to hit me up on twitter or facebook or just drop me a PM here -- anytime I see a good idea, I've been adding it to my ongoing list for future posts.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 77
01:29 PM on 04/12/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
glad Illusion of Safety is number 1.
01:32 PM on 04/12/12
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
Numbers 2,6 and 7 definitely make my list. I've never been a big Hopeless fan though.
01:33 PM on 04/12/12
saintnumberfive
Don't wake me, I plan on sleeping
User Info.
Perfect list. I love this label.
01:37 PM on 04/12/12
ThaRealNC
User Info.
1. The Wonder Years - Suburbia, I've Give You All and Now I'm Nothing
2. Yellowcard - When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes
3. All Time Low - So Wrong, It's Right
4. There For Tomorrow - A Little Faster
5. Enter Shikari - A Flash Flood of Color

This label is killing it right now. Excited for what's to come.
01:40 PM on 04/12/12
tyler2tall147
Awesome
User Info.
Really enjoy this label, and probably purchase more albums a year on from this label then any others. I think the acoustic versions they did with Yellowcard and Dangerous Summer were a great idea.

I'm really looking forward to see the tracklisting on the comps start to come out since Warped is right around the corner. Last year I picked up Another Hopeless Summer and latest Take Action

Also nice to see Jason start warming up to The Wonder Years.
01:43 PM on 04/12/12
Jake Denning
User Info.
Newest Shikari, TWY, and Yellowcard FOR SURE
01:51 PM on 04/12/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
I'm just gonna go with artists since it's a little easier:
All Time Low
Amber Pacific
Anarbor
Divided By Friday
We Are The In Crowd
Yellowcard
01:57 PM on 04/12/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
really guys? no one? best album

http://interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=80474&
02:03 PM on 04/12/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I knew someone was gonna mention them...
02:04 PM on 04/12/12
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
In no order:
All Time Low - Put Up or Shut Up & So Wrong It's Right
Thrice - Illusions of Safety
The Dangerous Summer: War Paint
There For Tomorrow - Self Titled EP
The Wonder Years - Suburbia
Against All Authority - 24 Hour Roadside
Yellowcard - When You're Through Thinking
Common Rider - This Is Unity Music
Break The Silence - Near Life Experience
02:06 PM on 04/12/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
1. Thrice - The Illusion of Safety
2. Thrice - Identity Crisis
3. The Wonder Years - Suburbia...
4. Dillinger Four - Midwestern Songs of the Americas
5. Atom and His Package - Attention! Blah Blah Blah
6. Samiam - Whatever's Got You Down
7. Avenged Sevenfold - Waking the Fallen
8. Ever We Fall - We Are But Human
9. Dillinger Four - Versus God
10. Avenged Sevenfold - Sounding the Seventh Trumpet

I haven't spun a couple of these albums in years, but I do remember a time when I thought Avenged Sevenfold was kinda tongue-in-cheek. I still think maybe they were...at least for a little bit.
02:07 PM on 04/12/12
GautamT
User Info.
Umm well everyone already stated the best but Hair: Debatable by Atom & His Package wasn't too bad
02:07 PM on 04/12/12
lordchamberlain
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
tough list to bear without amber pacific, dillinger and atom.
02:09 PM on 04/12/12
mshoreline49
User Info.
definitely agree that thrice is number one. the illusion of safety is a classic. also think you have to throw in avenged sevenfold waking the fallen. i wouldn't say i'm a big fan fo the band, but that cd is great.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos