Password

Album Review

Falling Up - Captiva Album Cover

Falling Up - Captiva

Reviewed by
Falling Up - Captiva
Record Label: BEC Recordings/Tooth & Nail
Release Date: October 02, 2007
Falling Up entered the music scene three years ago as a bit of an eclectic mystery, sporting predictable pop punk layered with piano melodies, synth tones, and nu metal influences occasionally fused with a bit of rapcore. 2005's Dawn Escapes showed the band continuing to refine their sound, shining strongest through the double keyboard talents of Adam Taylor and lead vocalist Jessy Ribordy for a beautiful, ambient combination of raw piano, synthetic tones, and electronic backbeats.

After surviving the early, experimental years of the alternative/pop punk scene and building a loyal fanbase that has given the band over 200,000 records in career sales (including last year's unnecessary remix album), Captiva shows Falling Up gracefully abandoning the random rap attempts and metal influences of earlier days, maturing into a smooth keys-based alternative act.

"A Guide to Marine Life" kicks off the album with a soft ambient noise immediately mapped by piano chords and Ribordy's vocals with a percussive backbeat. By the time the guitars fully kick in on the chorus, we know what to expect from this album: catchy music that leans pop punk but doesn't feel repetitive thanks to the smartly layered vocal harmonies and variety of keyboard sounds.

That's not to say that, having found their niche, Falling Up are forsaking their creative streak. The intro to "Helicopters" is a successful experiment in 7/4 time, and the last sixty seconds of "Drago or the Dragons" trace a synthetically layered hip-hop groove that leaves one wanting more. The only predictably boring track is "Maps," a reflection of Falling Up's association with BEC, the same label that squeezed Kutless's raw rock into contemporary Christian radio-friendly singles for greater album sales. Even so, "Maps" is still catchy enough most fans won't mind.

Citing the respected songwriting of Christian heavy rock act Project 86's Andrew Schwab as an influence (although drawing similarities seems sketchy at best), Ribordy's lyrics have become as metaphoric as his curious song titles, ostensibly offering a glimmer of hope and rescue through the troubles of life. "A Guide to Marine Life" cries, "Float by open windows, what a shipwreck, what a shipwreck / ...When I'm lost, when I'm lost / There's no meaning / Call it this, call it this / Spinning sideways and never stops / Lines in the sky calling me out, calling me out..."

Occasionally the metaphors are too thick for their own good. In "Drago or the Dragons" he sings, “This mathematic sunset starts a neck to sink her teeth into again / A late aesthetic exit is impossible but not from rafter sins." Listeners are less likely to discern hidden meanings from opaque lyrics and track titles, and more likely to simply enjoy the music.

There aren't really any songs that stand out here, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. This is simply a fun album to listen to ~ twelve solid tracks of excellent production (especially if you download it for $8.99 in 256kbps glory from Amazon's new MP3 download store). If you're hungry for creative pop punk with clever ambient doses of piano, keys, and synth, Captiva is a forty-six minute snack you won't regret.

For Fans OfAnberlin, Deas Vail, Linkin Park, frosted animal crackers.

Track Listing01. A Guide to Marine Life
02. Hotel Aquarium
03. Goodnight Gravity
04. Captiva
05. Helicopters
06. Maps
07. How They Made Cameras
08. Good Morning Planetarium
09. Murexa
10. Drago or the Dragons
11. Arch to Achtilles
12. The Dark Side of Indoor Track Meets

ListenMySpace
This review is a user submitted review from thepianominstre. You can see all of thepianominstre's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
01:10 PM on 10/13/07
Adrian Villagomez
My Little Runaway
User Info.
Impressive for a first review, Schroeder.
04:24 PM on 10/13/07
proudy
User Info.
Great Review. I really recommend this album. It was a geart listen from the start. You dont have to listen a few times to get into it.
09:07 PM on 10/13/07
birthstoned
bobsacamano
User Info.
falling up has always had strong albums that always impressed me, this is another release that was just as strong, more keys, but still great.
09:38 AM on 10/15/07
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
Thanks! Again, it's nothing groundbreaking or Album of the Year material. It's just nice catchy and ambient-layered stuff, and nothing too weak or disappointing.

Only trouble is several of the guys left after the recording of this album, including Adam (all the keys stuff that Ribody the vocalist doesn't do). So who knows if they're gonna get new guys or do live shows with a lot of background tracks or what...
09:07 AM on 10/17/07
hailthewarrior
haters gonna hate hate hate
User Info.
I really like this album, good review.
03:26 PM on 10/17/07
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Agree with the review.
Their most complete album to date.
Good job.