AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
So They Say - Life In Surveillance Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7
Production 7.5
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.81
Lyrics 8.88
Production 8.88
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.31
Reviewer Tilt 8.56
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

So They Say - Life In Surveillance

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (10/09/07)
So They SayLife In Surveillance
Release Date: October 9, 2007
Record Label: Fearless

We’ve all seen this happen in high school. There was always that one girl, who was kinda cute, but not someone you’d date. Then summer vacation comes around, you don’t see her for a few months, and then the first day of school rolls up and you see her and notice that she’s the hottest girl in school.

That’s how I would describe So They Say (yes, I just compared them to the hot girl in your Spanish class).

The St. Louis quartet exploded on the scene in 2005 with their self-titled EP and gained a moderate fan base. In 2006, they released their debut album, Antidote For Irony, on Fearless, which was greeted by a lukewarm response, only furthering the cause that, yeah, this band has potential, but will they ever reach it? Well, with their third release in as many years, So They Say have finally developed into their own with Life In Surveillance.

Armed with a producer better suited to the band’s style (Matt Hyde), Life is an eleven track journey that assaults their previous work. The improvement is imminent on the first track, “Just Forget My Name,” which is a hard-hitting number with fine dual vocals from Joseph Hamilton and David Schroeder. The vocal work between the two is done well throughout the album and is executed very nicely on “These Nights Are Long.”

“Wake Me Up” literally does what the title suggests, with huge, crunching guitars and intense work behind the kit from Justin Hanson. This song is going to be the new fan favorite at So They Say shows. “I Won’t Tell” is an intense track with a huge breakdown, while “Whisper Of Sin” tones it down a bit. “You’re Welcome” shreds throughout, giving So They Say the bite they were lacking at times on the debut.

Tracks like “Close Range” and “A Defeated Accomplishment” keep the rapid tempo steady, while “The Hand Of God” slaps you across the face with soaring guitars. The album closes with “Nuclear Sunrise,” which is probably the most disappointing song on the album. Lacking the intensity the previous 10 tracks had, the song just kind of putters along and ends the album on a low note, though it doesn’t take away from how solid Life In Surveillance is.

As witnessed on this album, So They Say has matured into their music. While at times, the music can drone on and there are moments where the music blends together, Life In Surveillance is a mainly consistent record that hits hard and hits often. So just like that girl in your school, the album may be underrated by many, but soon enough, Life In Surveillance could become your obsession.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Just Forget My Name
2. These Nights Are Long
3. Wake Me Up
4. An Apology
5. I Won’t Tell
6. Whisper Of Sin
7. You’re Welcome
8. Close Range
9. A Defeated Accomplishment
10. The Hand Of God
11. Nuclear Sunrise
Produced by: Matt Hyde

So They Say are:
Joseph Hamilton – vocals/keyboard
David Schroeder – vocals/guitar
Justin Hanson – drums
Nicholas Walters – guitar
Joe Hoermann – bass

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
10:30 AM on 10/09/07
brandnew21g
User Info.
great review, very enjoyable album
10:32 AM on 10/09/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
Good analogy in the first paragraph. Nice review, although I'm not too keen on the album.
10:36 AM on 10/09/07
inCinerate.1028
myspace.com/kevinmorrow
User Info.
"Wake Me Up" is a kickass song
10:40 AM on 10/09/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I was definitely surprised by this album...a lot better than their debut.

Some small things I would rate differently:
- Vocals would get a lower score -- think they are pretty poor at times
- Production would get a much higher score -- Hyde really embraced this band's sound in a way Squire never can.

Overall, there is not enough to bring me back to this record after a few listens, it does a much better job of displaying the band's sound and live energy for an overall improvement.
10:47 AM on 10/09/07
PigDestroyer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Quote:
Overall, there is not enough to bring me back to this record after a few listens,

Steve I think you hit it perfectly. I really liked this album the first time, still liked it the second time, and am now pretty much bored by it. No staying power whatsover for me. "Your Welcome" is a great song, but somehow nothing about this album really holds up. I can't imagine wanting to go back and listen to this CD a couple weeks from now, let alone months or years.

Drew, really good review...although I'd have to disagree that they really developed or hit their potential. To me they are nothing more than a talented, but overall average rock band.
12:10 PM on 10/09/07
dpatrickguy
User Info.
i disagree about nuclear sunrise...
12:11 PM on 10/09/07
thisdecemberhop
thisdecemberhope
User Info.
joe should of stayed in westcott. (no one will get this.)
12:35 PM on 10/09/07
vandalroyale
Down and almost out
User Info.
I will have a better understanding of production after I get my copy (hopefully) today, but I really like its sound compared to their previous work...It seems to be a bit more straight up rock and the song Nuclear Sunrise is going to sound amazing in headphones
12:47 PM on 10/09/07
adozenroses
Sittin' Sidewayz
User Info.
i honestly feel antidote for irony is a lot better then this release
01:37 PM on 10/09/07
Jaster
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't understand your reference.... this band isn't very well known, or "hot" in any sense. This album is not good... and If I see one more tree as an album cover, I'm just gonna snap.And Drew, your review doesn't fit your rating.
02:50 PM on 10/09/07
Jaster
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hahaha 7 paragraphs for what could easily be two.
03:27 PM on 10/09/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
hahaha 7 paragraphs for what could easily be two.
Um, who the fuck cares.
03:31 PM on 10/09/07
Shooter McGavin
User Info.
joe should of stayed in westcott. (no one will get this.)

No one except me. Boo-yah. Westcott was legit. I'm not too big on So They Say though.
04:32 PM on 10/09/07
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
i enjoyed their last album a good ammount.
however, when i saw them live, it seemed like they didn't even want to be on stage. big letdown.
i don't know if i'll check this out or not, good review though drew.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums