AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Peepshow - 04.17.12

Peepshow - 04.17.12

Interviewed by
Peepshow - 04.17.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Peepshow

http://www.peepshowonline.co.uk/band

1. How did you get your band name?

(Johnny) I've always been quite interested in the whole Orwellian concept of 'Big Brother' and being a sort of 'Anti Establishment' band (for lack of a better term) the name PEEPSHOW, with it's voyeuristic connotations sat right with the style of music and lyrics we were writing. PEEPSHOW machines date back to 15th Century Europe and were little wooden boxes that when a person looked through the eye piece, they saw puppets perform with the pull of a string. I guess I just found the whole PEEPSHOW machine thing quite metaphorical in conveying the idea that some elitist force at the top of the political hierarchy is always playing puppet master. And of course, as band we're all about breaking that box and cutting the stings. That pretty much sums up our music video for the song Let Go too. Go watch it! WE ARE THE MASSES!

2. How did this band get started?

(Rusty) The good old fashioned way..... Me and Johnny were High School buddies who got together and started jamming our favourite music and we just kept going.

(Johnny) We were the only kids at school listening to old school rock so it made sense to stick together. I knew Rust was a guitarist and I'd over heard him talking about GN'R so I introduced him to some of the more underground bands like Hanoi Rocks and began the grooming process. Haha. We've been through a lot of changes... you could say we've served our apprenticeship and through a lot perseverance we've finally landed lucky with an all star lineup. Everyone in the band writes and is great at what they do which really makes a world of difference.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

(Johnny) Good music! I probably have the most eclectic taste in music compared to the rest of the guys in the band and find myself being inspired by almost anything and everything, past and present. From Electro to Metal, Classical to elevator music! I cant get enough of the stuff.

(Rusty) I'm influenced by bands like LA Guns, Pink Floyd, Hanoi Rocks, Anything Steve Stevens has done etc.

(Hex) I'm influenced by bands like Hardcore Superstar, Shotgun Messiah, PAIN, HIM and Children of Bodom.

(Dagan) My influences change as much as the weather, guitar wise they started with The Sex Pistols and Queen really old school stuff but soon developed into bands such as Children Of Bodom, Hardcore Superstar, Rammstein and Lynch Mob.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

(Johnny) I'm a big fan of new band 'The Howling'. The Rev recently caught our show at Camden Underworld and we had a chat after. He really enjoyed our set so we're in talks about sharing a stage in the near future. A tour with PEEPSHOW and the HOWLING would be downright hazardous.

(Rusty) Any of my influences from the past to be fair. I'd love to watch them in their element, plus I was still a young kid during most of their heydays so wasn't able to see them live in their prime. As for Modern bands I can't think of any but would be more than happy to tour with any band who goes the extra mile to please the fans and share a similar outlook to PEEPSHOW in performing larger than life live shows.

(Hex) I'd love to tour with any of the bands I mentioned in the last answer! Like Rust says, any band that is in it for the fans and is there to put on the best show they can!

(Dagan) Pretty much all the above.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

(Johnny) Anything that compliments Grey Poupon. Oh and the milk from Spider Goats.

(Rusty) I'm a fiend for Carrot Sticks and Hummus! In the Van, Hotel or changing room haha!...... Pasta is a must for gig days... some slow burning carbs that will keep your energy up!

(Hammy) I'm the least fussiest eater ever, I'll eat just about anything. Usually Twice.

(Hex) Whatever comes to hand to be perfectly honest, I'm a fat kid trapped in a skinny dudes body, I have a proclivity towards the worst kinds of food!

(Dagan) I don't eat much anyways! But you've gotta keep hydrated and energised with trusty ol water, some pasta and maybes a few cans of Monster Energy.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

(Johnny) I think there's a lot of manufactured mainstream mush out there, most of which lacks any real authenticity. It all seems to be very "this weeks hero, next weeks zero - lets make some quick money and move on to the next half arsed band and exploit them". Worst of all, it all sounds the same. PEEPSHOW are not that band. We're working class boys, with real things to say and a real hunger to entertain. We don't play it safe and we pride ourselves on doing everything our way and of our own back. I think we stands strong as a soundtrack for a new generation pissed off with plastic politics, unemployment, war, seedy statesmanship, lack of prospects and lets not forget, the X Factor (Pop Idol, for you Americans).

(Rusty) We have something to say..... and instead of just saying it... we've wrapped it up in a big package of sensory awesome! We feel this album has something for everyone. It's got enough classic rock for the old guard, it's got a lot of modern touches for the younger generation, it has pop sensibilities, political undertones..... Hard, Soft, Fast, Slow... It's a very dynamic album.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

(Johnny) Georgios Samaras of the football team Celtic. Apparently I bare resemblance to him when I have a bit of facial hair growth, so the switch wouldn't come as much of a shock. Although his career would be over cos I can't play football for shit. Unless it's like Quantum Leap and I some how still possess the skills of the new body I inhabit... the mind does boggle.

(Rusty) Valentino Rossi!!!!

(Hammy) Usian Bolt, obviously.

(Hex)I was an athlete once upon a time does that count? I'm pretty happy with being me!

(Dagan) It would have to be Ryan Villopoto, seeing as he's just won't the AMA Supercross season ayye!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

(Rusty) I'd thank Hexy, Hexy would Thank Dagan, Dagan would thank Hammy, Hammy would thank Johnny and Johnny would also thank himself!!!!!

(Johnny) After thanking myself and wiping the tear, I'd thank the friends and fans who stuck with us. Adrian our manager and the small team of people who have helped us and continue to help us spread the word. You know who you are, we love you!

(Dagan) I would have to thank whoever puts it on because it looks like one hell of a shindig wether you win an award or not!

(Hex) I would call silence to the room and give some over the top, heart wrenching, acceptance speech about my journey to this moment in time and the hardships I had faced along the way. It would last 30 minutes and people would cry, it would be spectacular!

(Hammy) I'd think it was worthless coz they gave about 10 to Adele.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

(Johnny) We're living in the X Factor, Pop Idol generation where TV and music marketing have interbred and created an unrelenting corporate monster that incessantly churns out shit product, often with a short shelf life and with the soul intention of making a fast penny. If I could change anything about the music industry it would be that. Let's
bring back the 60's, 70's sensibilities where real legends and heroes were born. I think it's hard to say that any modern artists will ever stand the test of time like the heroes of old.

(Rusty) Allow for taste to revolve around artistic output and creation rather than around the what the "industry" manufactures for people.......I think the word "industry" or "business" itself shows that what people get to listen to has to go through a business model and get manufactured and in turn people's tastes develop around what the business model deems is popular. By every mainstream artist going through the machine it limits wider musical diversity.

(Hex) The internet has made and ruined music in the same breath. It gave us the ability to spread music to the masses but has watered down the industry to the extent of making it almost impossible for bands to get noticed! With everything being "free" on the internet it has made it very difficult for bands to have a real paying career out of music!

(Hammy) Festivals charging kids 3-figures for tickets...

(Dagan) Get everything back to the way it was when people were discovered because of their talent and not because they're pretty good looks and TV appearances.. Oh and I'd bring back recording onto tape again.

10. What does AP.net mean to you?

(Rusty, Hex) Music Mends Broken Hearts.
(Johnny) The African Publishers Network?

11. What is your favourite song to play?

(Johnny) Live Free Or Die, as it encapsulates everything we're about
and it's a real ground shaker to play live.

(Rusty )My favourite PEEPSHOW song to play live is Waking The Dead, If I'm in the house jamming some covers my favourite song is probably Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd

(Hammy) Live Free or Die probably for me, or maybe Irreversible since it's so different to the rest of the songs.

(Hex) On bass, probably Brand New Breed, the way we open it live is beastly! On guitar I'd say Waking the Dead as far as PEEPSHOW songs go or Move your Body by Blessed By A Broken Heart if I was to pick a song by an other band!

(Dagan) Live Free Or Die Probably, or Trouble just to see the insane
reaction we get from the crowd.

12. What is your vacation spot of choice?

(Johnny) Home of the worlds greatest philosophers of old, Greece.

(Rusty) Anywhere that serves a cold Mojito!!!!!! Haha... I'm fond of the Caribbean

(Hammy) I'm using my vacation time this year to go new places. But my top vacation spot so far for a sunny break would be Marmaris.

(Hex) I've always liked Greece but then again I'd be happy anywhere I can chill out on a beach.

(Dagan) I'm a sucker for London or the USA, city stuff as opposed to lying on a beach getting burnt and eaten by spiders!

13. What music reminds you of your childhood?

(Johnny) GN'R, Hanoi Rocks, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Queen, to name
a few.

(Rusty) Madness, UB40, Guns N Roses, Pink Floyd

(Hammy) Anything 80s pop. It reminds me of the stuff I used to hear on the radio in the background. Even the bad stuff is great.

(Hex) Bands like Green Day, Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach

(Dagan) The Sex Pistols, Queen and My Chemical Romance.

14. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

(Johnny) Infinite knowledge, because knowledge is power!

(Hammy) The power of flight. That's all kinds of 'win'!

(Rusty) I'd love the ability to instantly be able to sing or play like any singer or musician out there.... Also being able to blend their styles!!!!

(Hex) Teleportation! That would be awesome, would cut down so much time wasted travelling!

(Dagan) The power of love.. No, probably invisibly.. Come on guys!

15. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

(Johnny) We like about 30 minutes of "band only" time backstage to perform occult magic, as you do... you know, just to ensure a good performance.

(Rusty) All my spare picks on my mic stand or on my amp have to be logo side down..... the same with the one I'm using!

(Hammy) Far too busy getting ready with stage logistics to be bothering with that nonsense.

(Hex) I keep my pockets empty apart from two plectrums in each of my back pockets. 2 in front left pocket one of which I take out before stepping
on stage so I have a total of 6 on me!

(Dagan) Alot of jumping getting the blood flowing.

16. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

(Johnny) I'm a vegetarian animator.

(Rusty) I didn't start playing guitar until I was about 16 years old.... Very late starter

(Hammy) Fans generally don't know anything about me anyway.

(Johnny) That's because your aloof in interviews Hammy.

(Hex) The only songs I know on bass are PEEPSHOW songs! Never play anything else on it unless I'm practising the live set or laying some down bass on a new recording! I play guitar or drums much more than I do bass! Dedicated bassist huh?

(Dagan) I used to race motocross, and still an avid fan.

17. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

(Johnny) I think our music is as radio friendly as a heavy band can be. PEEPSHOW is all about taking the message to the masses so it was important for us to produce an album that could connect with the majority of people who heard it. I think it's only a matter of time before we hear PEEPSHOW taking over the airwaves.

(Rusty) I can't ever remember a time where I sat and listened to the radio for the music I like so I think that speaks volumes

(Hammy) Radio, especially on the internet, is more important than ever. Just to have stations dedicated to a single genre is quite a big deal really.

18. What do you like to do in your spare time?

(Johnny) Write songs, read and watch movies/documentaries.

(Rusty) I like to spend time with my daughter and my GF but I can't say that I get a lot of spare time!!!!

(Hammy) I mostly do geeky stuff like read books and watch documentaries.

(Hex) What's spare time?!?! haha I tend to spend all my time writing songs or learning new instruments! I am a total shut in, if I can go a day where I don't have to leave the house and just sit writing new songs I'm content!

(Dagan) Fiddle with my guitars, make instruments and crazy guitar nerd stuff.

19. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

(Johnny) I'm an animator. Check out my films here:
Geriatrics the Musical
Lifeless

(Rusty) I read maps instead of books so that I always know where everything is and how to get there!

(Hammy) I don't have many talents so I wouldn't hide the ones I do have, so none.

(Hex) I'm exceptionally good at annoying people! These guys can vouch for that!

(Dagan) I'm damn good on a motorbike!

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums