AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Julia Holter - Ekstasis Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Julia Holter - Ekstasis

Reviewed by: mymusicismylife (04/17/12)
Julia Holter - Ekstasis
Record Label: RVNG Intl.
Release Date: March 8, 2012

Julia Holter has stated in many of her interviews that she thinks of her music as pop music - not as some second coming of Laurie Anderson or an avant-classical fusion, as may be spun. That has never been more evident than on Ekstasis. Written simultaneously with the more esotericTragedy, Ekstasis is very clearly an album full of pop songs, though a much different kind of pop than many are used to.

Though she has only recently begun to garner more widespread acclaim outside the more informed circles she frequented - largely following the release of Tragedy - Holter has been crafting her unique brand of pop for years now in the LA scene; she blends simple pop traits and melodies with more experimental and unique sounds and interpretations. There aren’t many restrictions to her music; she can create a grim narrative album full of more inaccessible, haunting pieces, but can also craft songs with whimsical melodies that dance and play without anyone batting a lash at the vast difference ("Für Felix," a highlight of Ekstasis, is an exceptional example of the latter).

Focusing on Ekstasis, Holter's ability to create such disparate pieces is evident in spades. Back-to-back are “In the Same Room” and “Boy In the Moon," an excellent microcosm of this flexibility. The first shows off her ability to create one of those afore-mentioned melodies and evolve it into a true composition by interweaving it with other sounds and harmonies. It is (until the final minute) upbeat, and even fun, while it bops merrily along. Contrast this with its final minute and the entirety of “Boy In the Moon,” a slowly-building ambiance that rolls out as an enveloping fog - the difference could be somewhat remarkable on other albums, but simply comes with the territory here.

It would be remiss not to touch again upon a word I just used: composition. Every track is so carefully constructed, so wonderfully and precisely arranged. Each note has a purpose, even the tiniest of twinkles beneath the fuzz of a synthesizer; every new, subtle sound inspires a pang of bliss (see, once again, the absolutely gorgeous “Boy In the Moon," where each subtle change feels like a refreshing wave). The evolutions that opener “Marienbad” undergoes, for example, are marvelous: it shifts from simple, measured a capella harmony into rippling tapestry of sounds and textures, then reaches a point of pulsating tension, all before melting into a lovely choral finale - all on a track of relatively median length. The exceptionally long tracks are an even better indication of her arranging talents - the slow burn of “Boy in the Moon” is nothing less than riveting throughout, and finale “This is Ekstasis” is an entirely different construction from much of Ekstasis: creepy and off-kilter, full of snazzy saxophone and shifting beats, ending the album in ekstasis - a transcendent state.

Holter’s arranging ability is on even more overt display late in the album. Tragedy and Ekstasis share a track, “Goddess Eyes:” here, cleaned up, retitled “Goddess Eyes I,” and with a vastly different placement, it becomes a much different song. In addition, though, Holter makes it a vastly different song in actuality, reimagining it as “Goddess Eyes II,” a track of tremendous grace and beauty, with much less vocoder and grimness. She completely reimagined an already loved, successul, and effective song and made it, if anything, more beautiful - rather than the cryptic avante-pop shades of before, it now carries the air of powerful ambient pop a few decades old.

As the final notes of “This Is Ekstasis” roll away, a good number of listeners will feel some form of that transcendent state. The more esoteric or more drawn-out parts of the music will understandably turn some off to Ekstasis, but the album is so well-composed and emotionally mesmerizing that those who do enjoy any sort of avant-pop will be utterly taken by Holter's arrangements. This effect is showing, as Holter's star is rising far beyond where it has ever been before. After listening to Ekstasis and reading about Holter herself, it's evident that the sudden spate of attention is much deserved.

Recommended If You Likeavant-pop, Grouper, Kate Bush, Mirroring

Official site
Facebook
Twitter
Spotify

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
09:31 AM on 04/21/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
This album is gorgeous. But of course, because this is Absolutepunk, and this is not The Wonder Years' new album, nobody here will care.
09:38 AM on 04/21/12
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
This album is gorgeous. But of course, because this is Absolutepunk, and this is not The Wonder Years' new album, nobody here will care.

One of my favorites, it's so good. It's been getting more love than I expected, which makes me happy.
04:58 PM on 04/21/12
Broden Terry
I'm glad I built myself an igloo
User Info.
You did Ekstasis the justice that it thoroughly deserves. The album is lovely and certainly one of my favorites of the year, to this point.
05:36 AM on 04/22/12
mymusicismylife
User Info.
You did Ekstasis the justice that it thoroughly deserves. The album is lovely and certainly one of my favorites of the year, to this point.

Thank you man, really. That's one of the reasons it took so long, so glad you liked it. I'm even more glad you like Ekstasis, it's so good.
07:01 AM on 04/22/12
luckykaruba
Jazz Baby
User Info.
Great review, great album <3
07:38 AM on 04/22/12
mymusicismylife
User Info.
Great review, great album <3

<3

I'm somewhat shocked I was able to restrain myself from accidentally gibing it 98%+.
07:42 AM on 04/22/12
luckykaruba
Jazz Baby
User Info.
<3

I'm somewhat shocked I was able to restrain myself from accidentally gibing it 98%+.
Because you are a real reviewer with the ability to see nuance.
07:59 AM on 04/22/12
mymusicismylife
User Info.
Because you are a real reviewer with the ability to see nuance.

... This compliment was equally unexpected and touching.

This is me accepting a compliment. Cherish this rare, rare moment. I must be coming down with the flu.
11:28 AM on 04/28/12
DJWildefire
On the verge of breathtaking
User Info.
Great review, my favorite album of the year so far.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests