AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Forecast - Everybody Left Album Cover

The Forecast - Everybody Left

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The Forecast - Everybody Left
Release Date: April 17, 2012
Record Label: Clifton Motel

“To all my fairweather friends, I will be back again / And I won’t forget the shit you said or the fucked up things you did.”

Everybody Left doesn’t exactly start off on a light note. The acoustic nature of the opening title track, from which those lyrics are lifted, disguises the song’s bleak nature. Yet at the same time, “Everybody Left” manages to be one of the most hopeful songs on the record. If that sounds like I’m making a statement about The Forecast’s latest offering, it’s because I am – Everybody Left is a decisively sad Midwestern indie/emo record that drapes misleadingly upbeat and happy rhythms over its melancholy. A happy Florida State Seminole fan is still a Seminole fan, you know? He’s still sad because his team stinks. Just because The Forecast plays happy-sounding indie rock doesn’t mean you aren’t singing along to sad songs.

This isn’t groundbreaking news for fans of the band, as The Forecast’s fourth LP follows the same formula that brought the group critical acclaim with 2006’s In the Shadow of Two Gunmen and was then brought close to perfection on 2010’s self-titled effort. With guitars that range from being a distant part of the ambience (the opener, “Skipping Stones”) to a full-frontal assault (“Clear Eyes, Full Hearts,” “Skyline”) and three vocalists that never fail to please when they’re brought together, Everybody Left is 10 songs and 33 minutes that you wish would last a little longer.

The front end of the album is certainly the go-getter, with “Clear Eyes, Full Hearts” getting the adrenaline pumping early. As good as that track is by itself, the harmonized vocals in the chorus of “Like A Habit” provide sturdy reinforcement. “After all the bullshit and the baggage / You laid me down and let me fall asleep / I was borderline but maybe we were something / It couldn’t last forever, couldn’t last that long.” Indeed, Everybody Left is a record about relationships come and gone. It's a record that, realistically, anyone in their 20s should be able to find a home in. “Like A Habit” is the standout on an album that slowly builds upon itself as it goes along. “Skyline” is guitar-led, about as fast as we hear the band go on Everybody Left. Again with these two songs, it’s hard not to focus on the brilliance of the vocal harmonies, as the dual male vocals and the fading in and out of the female vocals provide a depth most bands should be envious of. This trio can do with its vocals alone what many bands fail to do with their entire sound – satisfy listeners in beautiful synchronization.

“Sing It Out” is another jammer, but the album takes a breather with the slow burner (and surprising highlight) that is “Skipping Stones.” There are still fast-paced songs on the album’s B-side, brought to life by the gang vocals in “Way We Were” and more notable vocal harmonies in “Figure It Out.” Closer “Last Stand” is a fantastically orchestrated piece of music that, due to its mellow nature, allows the lyrics to come to the forefront more so than the other tracks. It’s here where we listeners might realize just how relatable Everybody Left really is.

Writing this review, I’m already worried about how this record will be received. Because I’m sure that this album will be adored by those who hear it, but let’s remember that this band had to fund this record via a Kickstarter campaign, and I think Everybody Left is sort of destined to go underappreciated. And I worry about this because I’m pretty sure that I’m already underappreciating it. It is truly a work of art in the realm of Midwestern indie rock/emo, at least on par with the phenomenal self-titled LP, and The Forecast deserves nothing but good things heaped upon it. You can listen to the entire record right now...don’t let this one fall through the cracks, because there are a lot of kinda bad bands out there that maybe could break up and that would be okay, but The Forecast does not fall into that category.

8/10

Recommended If You LikeSome Limbeck, sans a bit of the alt-country, add in some power-pop.
Links and StuffAbsolutePunk.net Profile - Stream the whole album
Purchase

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 74
10:28 PM on 04/17/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
this record is too good. it's great how well these guys continue to be.
10:33 PM on 04/17/12
fna4
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love this band. Good review.
10:35 PM on 04/17/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
If the band is reading this and they need help funding their next record, send me an email before you think about breaking up. Because don't break up and me and anamericangod will fund the record for you if we have to.
10:39 PM on 04/17/12
fna4
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If the band is reading this and they need help funding their next record, send me an email before you think about breaking up. Because don't break up and me and anamericangod will fund the record for you if we have to.
We lost one great Illinois band in The Graduate, we don't need to lose another.
10:49 PM on 04/17/12
anamericangod
User Info.

We lost one great Illinois band in The Graduate, we don't need to lose another.

I sure hope this isn't their last album, and I'll do what I can to keep these guys around. Been a huge fan for a very long time.

Great record. Catchy, awesome harmonies, and just no bullshit. These guys are all about the music and they always have been. Wish the album had been longer, but maybe that was a production/financial issue so I can't really fault them. People need to check them out, show some support if they're into it, and then dig into their back catalog. If you like this chances are you'll love the rest of their collection.

I think "Take Me Down" is my favorite track on the album. Love Shannon's vocals, love the background vocals, and the song is so melancholy it hurts. There's just something about the "Yeah, I get it, you're alone" outro that sticks with me.
11:35 PM on 04/17/12
vivatoto56
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
Been a fan for a long time. In my opinion this is their best work, I love every song and it's sitting at number 2 on my AOTY list.

I laughed when I read the last paragraph because the first thing I thought when I saw your score (before I read the review) is, "Well here is Thomas, under appreciating the album."
11:46 PM on 04/17/12
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
Could we get an ap.net spotlight on this band if one hasnt been done yet?
11:49 PM on 04/17/12
get up kidd
I refuse to sink
User Info.
Love this band, only got to listen to this a few times, but I already love it.

I need to see them live asap
11:59 PM on 04/17/12
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
"Last Stand" is too good. One of my favorite songs of the year so far.
12:16 AM on 04/18/12
francescaa
User Info.
This record is so great. I hadn't heard of the band until quite recently, I don't yet own anything else of theirs, but I'm certainly looking forward to catching up and hearing more. I hope they get some of the recognition they deserve with this release because it really is great. Bummed I missed out on getting involved with the kickstarter but I'll be supporting the band from here on for sure.
01:11 AM on 04/18/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
I'm blown away by this band the more I hear from them. Love this cd--definitely gonna be spinning it a lot.
01:27 AM on 04/18/12
steve187
nah
User Info.
always liked this band. listening to this album for the first time right now and loving it
01:49 AM on 04/18/12
Goat01
No Retreat, No Regrets.
User Info.
they make better music on their own than the majority of label-backed bands out there.
05:29 AM on 04/18/12
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Great stuff

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT