Password

Album Review
The Commuters - Release Album Cover

The Commuters - Release

Reviewed by
The Commuters - Release
Record Label: Communal Records
Release Date: April 17, 2012
In a music industry largely dominated by pop, it is often difficult for a rock band to gain any sort of attention. Last summer, the New York-based indie rock band The Commuters bucked that trend by making waves with their first EP, "As I Make My Way." With their debut album "Rescue," the band is well on the way to positioning itself on the forefront of today's rock scene. "Rescue" is a collection of 11 anthemic rock songs that are sure to place the band among others like The Fray and Coldplay.

The album opens with the band's first single, "As I Make My Way." One of the band's more up-tempo songs, it features echoing guitars that provide a warm and welcoming feel. It is big and bold, a fitting sound for a song whose narrator is going on a journey and trying to "figure it out/ As I make my way."

Despite its slow start, "Kneeling" transforms into another of the album's faster tracks. It picks up the pace as the bass drum and vocals make their entrance and continues to gain momentum from there. The chorus's lyrics ("I can't explain what I'm going through/ But it's gonna bring me back to/ Distant days/ Another time") provide comfort and reassurance that, despite what the listener may be dealing with, everything will work out.

One of the most poignant songs on the album is "Fallen From Grace." Slow and steady, "Grace" opens with a catchy acoustic melody that carries on throughout the track. The lyrics ("Is this a choice that I have made?/ Or is it just my fate/ To end up in this place?") are a beautiful reflection on the past, questioning the circumstances that have made life the way it is.

"Take A Step Back" is perhaps the most striking song on the album. It begins with a cautious piano tune that mirrors the tentative yet hopeful nature of the chorus, pleading with the listener to "See the view from above/ Take a step back/ It's not that bad/ It's not that tough."

"Rescue" is a solid debut from start to finish. The mellow feel that pervades the album provides perfect easy listening. With their catchy melodies and thoughtful lyrics about real human emotions, The Commuters are the latest worthy act to hit the rock scene.

Recommended If You LikeThe Fray, Cold Play, Radiohead
This review is a user submitted review from beckystrz. You can see all of beckystrz's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version