AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 88
08:44 AM on 04/19/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
i don't understand why people are bashing the band for expressing a desire to end the bullshit we all have to deal with at some point or another. scalpers SUCK. if the band can find a way to get rid of it, at least to an extent, that's AWESOME. seriously, what is the issue with the band here?

Not bashing Gaslight. It's just a dead issue.
08:44 AM on 04/19/12
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
User Info.
Guess how much I care? Buy tickets the day they are released as a consumer and don't be a whiny idiot if you don't.
Its not that easy for everyone. Their demographic is largely a younger generation that lives paycheck to paycheck. Not everyone can buy tickets immediately when they have bills and other necessities to take care of.
08:48 AM on 04/19/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Its not that easy for everyone. Their demographic is largely a younger generation that lives paycheck to paycheck. Not everyone can buy tickets immediately when they have bills and other necessities to take care of.

So do scaplers. They just need to pay their bills sometimes at the expense of other people's feelings. Plan on buying tickets accordingly. Presale information is usually up weeks, sometimes months, in advance. All I'm saying is is has always happened. Not gonna change. You cant sign a petition to end scalping, that's silly.
08:49 AM on 04/19/12
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't think you have any idea what scalpors are. These aren't promoters selling them, these are regular people that buy the tickets at retail by the dozens when they go on sale and then stand outside a sold out venue selling them for more than they bought them for, sometimes hundreds more, to desperate fans who thought they could get tickets at the door.
There have been several articles published which note that promoters and bands often put aside tickets to directly re-sell on the secondary market. Bowery Presents, here in NYC, is especially dirty about this (see what happened with LCD Soundsystem @ MSG last year).

For a small show like Gaslight @ MHOW, demand far exceeds supply but in many cases, the bands/promoters are directly in on it.
08:50 AM on 04/19/12
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
Dozens? Where are you getting this number. You are overestimating Gaslight. You are naive to think scaplers are selling them for "hundreds" more too. Have you ever bought a scalped ticket? If you're a Gaslight fan I see how you would defend this but it's a war no one will win. Since the beginning of tickets this has happened. Everyone has an equal opportunity to buy tickets - everyone - including you they day they are released online, the minute they go online. Scalpers don't care about the feelings of a 16-year-old, they have to make a living. Does it suck? Yeah. But that's the way it goes.
And other bands have figured out ways to limit the abuse of it, having to be part of a club to get early access to tickets, limiting tickets per person to a lower number.
08:50 AM on 04/19/12
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
User Info.
So do scaplers. They just need to pay their bills sometimes at the expense of other people's feelings. Plan on buying tickets accordingly. Presale information is usually up weeks, sometimes months, in advance. All I'm saying is is has always happened. Not gonna change. You cant sign a petition to end scalping, that's silly.
So maybe there's not an immediate way to solve this problem: does that mean its not worth taking a look at and worrying about? No. Not at all. I don't know why you're so upset that people want to stop scalping. Are you a scalper?
08:53 AM on 04/19/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
So maybe there's not an immediate way to solve this problem: does that mean its not worth taking a look at and worrying about? No. Not at all. I don't know why you're so upset that people want to stop scalping. Are you a scalper?

No, it's totally fine, but realistically it's not going to stop. I never said scalping was noble profession. I'm not one, because I have morals, but I could make bank. That's why places like TicketKing exist.
08:54 AM on 04/19/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
And other bands have figured out ways to limit the abuse of it, having to be part of a club to get early access to tickets, limiting tickets per person to a lower number.

If they really wanted to get radical with it they could buy all the tickets themselves and then sell them directly to fans. You see what a logistical nightmare that would be though.
08:54 AM on 04/19/12
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
User Info.
No, it's totally fine, but realistically it's not going to stop. I never said scalping was noble profession. I'm not one, because I have morals, but I could make bank. That's why places like TicketKing exist.
I disagree. I think there are ways to stop it. Or at least ways to do damage control on it. But to throw your hands up and say "nope, it'll always happen, give up!" is a terrible mentality. It's worth a shot to try and stop it.
08:55 AM on 04/19/12
Ryan Dennehy
Dozens? Where are you getting this number. You are overestimating Gaslight. You are naive to think scaplers are selling them for "hundreds" more too. Have you ever bought a scalped ticket? If you're a Gaslight fan I see how you would defend this but it's a war no one will win. Since the beginning of tickets this has happened. Everyone has an equal opportunity to buy tickets - everyone - including you they day they are released online, the minute they go online. Scalpers don't care about the feelings of a 16-year-old, they have to make a living. Does it suck? Yeah. But that's the way it goes.
Stubhub is selling Gaslight tickets for Williamsburg at the low, low price of $230.
ACA
Next Show: CircaSurvive/TitleFight
User Info.
There have been several articles published which note that promoters and bands often put aside tickets to directly re-sell on the secondary market. Bowery Presents, here in NYC, is especially dirty about this (see what happened with LCD Soundsystem @ MSG last year).

For a small show like Gaslight @ MHOW, demand far exceeds supply but in many cases, the bands/promoters are directly in on it.

Absolutely. A response from an informed person, nice to see.

The best way to eliminate scalping is to go will-call only and require admittance after picking up tickets. Any time a ticket can be printed via PDF or mailed to an address, a ticket can be scalped. It's irresponsible for a band to not do will-call only for events that have huge demand and few tickets.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
If they really wanted to get radical with it they could buy all the tickets themselves and then sell them directly to fans. You see what a logistical nightmare that would be though.
Which is why they're not doing that.....yes every effort is stupid if you carry it to absurd extremes, straw man arguments are stupid and if that's what your going to resort to I don't really care to continue this conversation.
08:56 AM on 04/19/12
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
Stubhub is selling Gaslight tickets for Williamsburg at the low, low price of $230.
Boom.
08:56 AM on 04/19/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.

Haha that's insane
09:01 AM on 04/19/12
ACA
Next Show: CircaSurvive/TitleFight
User Info.
If anyone on AP.net has an extra ticket to this show and wants to take the non-douchebag approach of selling it for a reasonable amount, please drop me a message. I'd gladly buy you a drink, as well, as thanks.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos