AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

12:21 PM on 04/20/12 
User Info.
gfxtwin
Male - 29 Years Old
I'm posting this here because the editors seem to have ties to punk culture. I don't know if anyone here has even heard of them, though, so...

Here is the website: http://internetpork.com/

And here are some photos from one of their spreads:

Uh, yeah. So what do you guys think, lol?

I wish I knew what the fuck they were about. Or maybe I don't. Here's their response to the people who were offended by the photoshoot:

“PORK is fueled by Camp & Kitsch. Both of these aesthetics require a certain degree of sophistication & a certain degree of “Not taking things so seriously.” PORK does not believe in cultural ownership or the concept of “genuine”. Things are either done well or not done well. When we are pestered by special interest groups advocating their world view & that our magazine some how conforms to their world view, I immediately wonder, “What have you done for me lately?”

Dismissive much?

I'm really fascinated by these guys because what they are, I gather, is a group of delusional privledged honkeys who think they are paying homage to the underground zines of the 60's/70's. On the other hand, sometimes I wonder if they are just taking the kind of politically incorrect shock of artists and zine creators like R. Crumb to the next level. Maybe they really aren't racists, and they just truly don't give a fuck about anything. I don't know how that's a good thing, but I guess it's sorta punk. But then I see the photos of the editors and notice that everyone associated with the publication seems to fit the description of privledged white folk. They also say that nothing about them is ironic whatsoever (is this honesty, or just veiled irony?).

I'm confused about whether or not to be angry. Being a fat white guy who likes the underground comics of the 60's/70's, I have to be honest and admit that I can't really hate too much what Pork doing. I'm confused and I find it to be stupid, but I'm too indifferent to these people to care that much. They aren't anywhere as good at doing what those zines did, but I'm not sure I myself am clever enough to do a great homage to those magazines either. I'm disturbed by artists like Crumb about as much as these people.

This brings me to the main topic: Are the Porkers just gleefully racist, or are they doing a legitimate (albeit dumber) version of the kind of politically incorrect shock that artists like R. Crumb are known for? I keep mentioning Crumb because it just takes one look at Pork's magazine covers to see that he was a huge influence on them. And one more question: What makes an artist like Crumb any less racist in his portrayals of minorities than the editors of Pork and their depictions of Native Americans?

Hope this turns into a positive and lengthy discussion.
12:28 PM on 04/20/12 
User Info.
thesafeword
-
Portland, OR
Male
i don't give a shit about your magazine dude
12:30 PM on 04/20/12 
User Info.
gfxtwin
Male - 29 Years Old
Not my magazine, dude. If you actually read the topic you'd know that I don't endorse this shit and asked some legit questions.
12:39 PM on 04/20/12 
User Info.
sjb2k1
8-6, double check my wang
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
words

so they are mad because this is derogatory toward native americans? first thing i saw was fat girls trying to be the village people
12:46 PM on 04/20/12 
User Info.
gfxtwin
Male - 29 Years Old
lol.

There's a fairly good criticism of the pics: http://fatpeopleofcolor.tumblr.com/p...-in-fat-spaces
12:55 PM on 04/20/12 
User Info.
brandon_260
Jasper, Alberta
Male - 21 Years Old
The fuck even is this?
01:08 PM on 04/20/12 
User Info.
gfxtwin
Male - 29 Years Old
Welcome to 2011
03:58 PM on 04/20/12 
User Info.
bluecrunchy
To shreds, you say.
Tacoma, WA
Male - 27 Years Old
Lock?
04:23 PM on 04/20/12 
User Info.
MADSTA
~
Halifax
Female - 24 Years Old
words

so they are mad because this is derogatory toward native americans? first thing i saw was fat girls trying to be the village people
Lolled.
06:14 PM on 04/20/12 
User Info.
Tadpolemcnasty
No Avatar Selected
Male - 25 Years Old
whats racist about the undisputable fact that native americans love to drink?
06:16 PM on 04/20/12 
User Info.
Montauk1222
APWP Champion: 4th times a charm
Miami, FL
Male - 25 Years Old
Definitely some pork involved in those pictures.
07:05 PM on 04/20/12 
User Info.
gfxtwin
Male - 29 Years Old
whats racist about the undisputable fact that native americans love to drink?

That they're being portrayed by whites who speak english? Duh. I don't have anything against Native Americans, but I really wish they would go back to their own country if they're not going to speak the national language .

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos