AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Do you think the environment when recording will shape an album?
Yes 15 57.69%
No 1 3.85%
Depends on the artist 13 50.00%
Depends on the environment 13 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

03:30 PM on 04/22/12 
User Info.
joelabz
Totes Magotes!
Wales
Male - 22 Years Old
Basically doing a case study and would be grateful for some opinions :D. This is basically about whether the environment of an album recording will contribute to or help set the mood for an album, for example like recording in castles or haunted places. Some say for Arctic Monkeys "Humbug" the setting of Josh Hommes studio in the Mojave desert gave them a different sound. Thoughts please?
03:31 PM on 04/22/12 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
It depends on whether that physical environment affects the mood/vibe of the band. Not by itself, no.
03:55 PM on 04/22/12 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
Tricky one to answer simply. The environment can affect the sound of the record, but there are so many variables involved, that it is impossible to answer with a simple yes/no/depends.
04:00 PM on 04/22/12 
User Info.
majinsharingan
Erase All Pictures of Ron
Tallahassee, Florida
Male - 20 Years Old
It really is circumstantial. The environment could be bad, the band could prefer a different setup, or it could just be an off day.
04:52 PM on 04/22/12 
User Info.
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
It could influence writing I guess, but probably not recording. If you just laying down tracks they should sound similar enough where ever you do. If you're writing music the environment you're writing in could definitely have an affect on the mood/vibe of the record. That explains why all that grunge music came out of sad as shit rain for days Seattle.

but more importantly, if its not recorded in a basement with one mic on cassettes than its not real, i dun no how you guys listen to fake soulless bullshit you call 'music'
04:59 PM on 04/22/12 
User Info.
joelabz
Totes Magotes!
Wales
Male - 22 Years Old
It could influence writing I guess, but probably not recording. If you just laying down tracks they should sound similar enough where ever you do. If you're writing music the environment you're writing in could definitely have an affect on the mood/vibe of the record. That explains why all that grunge music came out of sad as shit rain for days Seattle.

but more importantly, if its not recorded in a basement with one mic on cassettes than its not real, i dun no how you guys listen to fake soulless bullshit you call 'music'

That's an interesting point, so you think that music is more enjoyable if it's almost "home made" not highly produced in a big recording studio? I don't know if you're familiar with Daniel Johnston but his record "Hi, How are You?" was recorded basically how you just put it.
05:14 PM on 04/22/12 
User Info.
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
That's an interesting point, so you think that music is more enjoyable if it's almost "home made" not highly produced in a big recording studio? I don't know if you're familiar with Daniel Johnston but his record "Hi, How are You?" was recorded basically how you just put it.
That second part is at a very high level of sarcasm, I thought the spelling errors would make it clear.
05:30 PM on 04/22/12 
User Info.
Sitrusice
sitrusice
Florida,NY
Male - 23 Years Old
i recorded in nada recording studio and ideas just came to me out of nowhere because i felt so comfortable it was just like dimmed lights a nice couch black boards hanging on the wall and an open space attached to a lounge, vocal booth all attached to a live room. just amazing place to record
07:27 PM on 04/22/12 
User Info.
brook183
@brooks_an
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
Checked off the last 2. So many variables at play here.
10:15 PM on 04/22/12 
User Info.
mbarney82
Male - 21 Years Old
wasting light. nuff said
08:25 AM on 04/23/12 
User Info.
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
Rockwall, TX
Male - 23 Years Old

This. Except for the last part, muzik is ruined by recordings, live or gtfo
12:09 PM on 04/23/12 
User Info.
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
Depends how good the shit they're smoking is.
07:53 AM on 04/25/12 
User Info.
saturday_snow_squall
www.dailyslicemag.com
Denville, NJ
Male - 20 Years Old
i think it really depends on who it is and where it is. it also depends on how much time they are spending outside of the studio, what they are doing, things that happen while recording, etc. seems like a really hard topic to write about, good luck!
09:16 AM on 04/26/12 
User Info.
joelabz
Totes Magotes!
Wales
Male - 22 Years Old
Submitted the work today cheers to everyone who voted and commented, had some good stuff from it, helpful stuff. Thanks :)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos