Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 217.
07:21 PM on 10/15/07
DFelon204409
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by this review
The production on both Fire and Water is spot on and an excellent screen to filter Thrice’s creative vision. Like Refused’s The Shape Of Punk To Come, the production is used to enhance certain segments instead of making it sound like the same recycled songs over and over. When the mix suddenly drops into low-fi mode during “The Arsonist”, Kensrue screaming in what sounds like a large echoic room acts as a unique addition adding a quality of originality into an already interesting piece.

Originally Posted by my review at sputnikmusic.com
"The Messenger" greatly benefits from its electronic flourishes and "The Arsonist"'s bridge uses really cool distortion and chorus effects a la the guitar riff in "The Shape of Punk to Come" by Refused to bring back life into the song before the crushing outro.

I'm sorry but it's a little suspect that my review of this album posted last Friday has some uncanny similarities. Not just this but there are a few other little observations in the absolutepunk review that are ridiculously similar to those in the sputnik one. Don't believe it? Read for yourself: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=13824

With that said, pretty good review.
07:43 PM on 10/15/07
joshy hizzle
Rocky Top
User Info.
Shit when did this review come up?
07:45 PM on 10/15/07
joshy hizzle
Rocky Top
User Info.
lyrics deserve higher than 9 too..

come on, its Kensrue
07:50 PM on 10/15/07
elvis2x
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thrice is dead.I don't understand why people still care.
07:58 PM on 10/15/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I love Dustin's lyrics. great great review, one of the best ever on this site.
08:10 PM on 10/15/07
AtlanticRadio
Toaster Oven, You're the Oneeeee
User Info.
Amazing review. What a great job.

And I'm loving the album (my pre order came early!). The lyrics to "Lost Continent" are absolutely breathtaking.
08:11 PM on 10/15/07
Daniel Thompson
Act 1, Scene 3
User Info.
god, I cannot wait for tomorrow.
08:12 PM on 10/15/07
Daniel Thompson
Act 1, Scene 3
User Info.
Thrice is dead.I don't understand why people still care.

Just out of curiosity
When did Thrice die?
08:13 PM on 10/15/07
huntingbears
stadium status!
User Info.
I'm sorry but it's a little suspect that my review of this album posted last Friday has some uncanny similarities. Not just this but there are a few other little observations in the absolutepunk review that are ridiculously similar to those in the sputnik one. Don't believe it? Read for yourself: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=13824

I can't tell if that was a joke or not, but if it was, lol he beat me to it.
and if it's not, then that's just funny that that would happen to two reviews in the same day
08:19 PM on 10/15/07
KidLightning
Esquire
User Info.

Oh no! Two people heard the same piece of music and had similar thoughts on it. UN-FUCKING-CANNY!!!

You might've had a point had your review actually been readable and, you know, good.

Try again some other time.
08:26 PM on 10/15/07
cereal4life
User Info.
Oh no! Two people heard the same piece of music and had similar thoughts on it. UN-FUCKING-CANNY!!!

You might've had a point had your review actually been readable and, you know, good.

Try again some other time.

Well said and precisely my thoughts as well!
08:29 PM on 10/15/07
KidLightning
Esquire
User Info.
Well said and precisely my thoughts as well!
I got about halfway through the ramblings on the fire disc and that was with a few breaks and I couldn't take it anymore. It was boring, rather poorly written, and self-indulgent.
08:29 PM on 10/15/07
gonfreaks
User Info.
Great review. I'd give it a bit lower, mid-80s perhaps. I really like it, though, Fire's not bad but Water's the real gem of the two.
08:32 PM on 10/15/07
DFelon204409
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can't tell if that was a joke or not, but if it was, lol he beat me to it.
and if it's not, then that's just funny that that would happen to two reviews in the same day

Not in the same day, but more than a few days apart. Not to be a hater or anything. I obviously agree with a lot of the points made in both reviews. I was surprised that people would respond with the old "oh people have same opinions oh weird stfu" kinda thing. Everybody engages in groupthink. If the reviewer didn't catch even the slightest whiff of my review, I'd believe it. The things I pointed out are pretty apparent on the surface of the music, mostly in the production. However, I'd be more quick to assume some degree of bleeding from my review into this one.
08:39 PM on 10/15/07
DFelon204409
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I got about halfway through the ramblings on the fire disc and that was with a few breaks and I couldn't take it anymore. It was boring, rather poorly written, and self-indulgent.

Rather indeed. Read my other reviews. It's not about being journalistically immaculate. It's more about describing and analyzing how the band engages me with the album and how successful that is. I only write tomes for Thrice albums. Think of it as the redux version of a normal review. It's not about readability or excitement. It's about being meticulous in recording my reactions to the album. Yes, self-indulgent, but who cares. I sure have a good time documenting it.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums