AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 217.
08:42 PM on 10/15/07
AnvilFace
User Info.
Thrice is dead.I don't understand why people still care.

you wanna listen to the punk of identity crisis?...then go listen to identity crisis. you wanna hear the metal of illusion?( thier best work..i know).... then go listen to illusion.you want a mix of identity and illusion?....go listen to the artist in the ambulance. if you want something with a little more substance and musicianship?then go listen to vheissu. you want some thing with ALOT more substance and WAY BETTER musicainship?.....huh do ya?....well i know you dont since you think thrice is dead, and you my friend need to learn to grow with bands and stop wanting the same recycled shit. over and over and over and over and over and over and go BUY the alchemy index....fucker
08:49 PM on 10/15/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I'm sorry but it's a little suspect that my review of this album posted last Friday has some uncanny similarities. Not just this but there are a few other little observations in the absolutepunk review that are ridiculously similar to those in the sputnik one. Don't believe it? Read for yourself: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=13824

With that said, pretty good review.
I didn't even read your review. I personally think Refused's masterpiece is one of the best produced albums ever and therefore the benchmark that I base unique production on. When I make a claim that the production adds to a piece, that album is immediately what comes to mind. I respect your thoughts and appreciate your comment, but I assure you I didn't even read your review until you just posted this.
09:01 PM on 10/15/07
emkvetwin
What's left of where we're from?
User Info.
very nicely done. listened once, and it sounded amazing, but want to save my long-term judgments for when i actually own this album. having said that, great review.
09:06 PM on 10/15/07
DFelon204409
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I didn't even read your review. I personally think Refused's masterpiece is one of the best produced albums ever and therefore the benchmark that I base unique production on. When I make a claim that the production adds to a piece, that album is immediately what comes to mind. I respect your thoughts and appreciate your comment, but I assure you I didn't even read your review until you just posted this.

I believe you then. We can chalk up the similarity to coincidence or "great minds..."

Do you have the remastered dolby dvd audio The Shape of Punk to Come? I only have my audio cd copy. I'm curious if the surround really does expand the album that much.
09:09 PM on 10/15/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I believe you then. We can chalk up the similarity to coincidence or "great minds..."

Do you have the remastered dolby dvd audio The Shape of Punk to Come? I only have my audio cd copy. I'm curious if the surround really does expand the album that much.
haha, yeah I do actually. It's really good. I normally don't get stuff like that, but I had to. "The Deadly Rhythm" sounds nuts. That album single handedly changed how I look at production.
09:25 PM on 10/15/07
TranscendTrends
music saves lives
User Info.
first off, nice effort on the review, tom. although, i must say that your avatar is quite annoying (sorry, it just is).

why the hell is the member album rating only at 75%?! that's bullshit. the concept, arrangement, and follow-through of this album is waaaaay above the average band on here. who is bringing that rating curve down?

and the lyrics should be a 10, no doubt in my mind. again, the depth, vocabulary, and themes of the songs' lyrics are on a different level than the average punk-pop band on here. c'mon.
09:30 PM on 10/15/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
first off, nice effort on the review, tom. although, i must say that your avatar is quite annoying (sorry, it just is).

why the hell is the member album rating only at 75%?! that's bullshit. the concept, arrangement, and follow-through of this album is waaaaay above the average band on here. who is bringing that rating curve down?

and the lyrics should be a 10, no doubt in my mind. again, the depth, vocabulary, and themes of the songs' lyrics are on a different level than the average punk-pop band on here. c'mon.
haha thanks man. I was gonna change the avatar soon anyway, then maybe you'll like me. I think the lyrics are awesome too, but a 9 is a ridiculously good score out of 10.
09:36 PM on 10/15/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
*clears throat*

more like TOMMMM REMARKABLEEEEEEEE
09:43 PM on 10/15/07
TranscendTrends
music saves lives
User Info.
haha thanks man. I was gonna change the avatar soon anyway, then maybe you'll like me. I think the lyrics are awesome too, but a 9 is a ridiculously good score out of 10.

haha, no worries man. you seem like a cool dude, it's just that sometimes i make the mistake of prematurely judging other people partially b/c of their choice of avatar.

and yeah, i wasn't complaining about your ratings---yours were spot-on. i really like how you compared their style to cave in, botch, sigur ros, and especially refused. i was complaining about the member ratings for lyrics. i just rated it myself, so i helped to raise that average up 4 percent, to 79%. hopefully that will continue to rise.

the water EP is fucking brilliant. and the sonnets were such a great afterthought to the album... i love how they all end on the same chord progression.
09:48 PM on 10/15/07
TranscendTrends
music saves lives
User Info.
*clears throat*

more like TOMMMM REMARKABLEEEEEEEE

i kinda thought that line would come along. well done.

hey, as a sidenote, do you happen to go to the university of missouri? my sister goes there (i'm from kansas city, but i wanted to get the hell out of missouri for college).
10:22 PM on 10/15/07
DFelon204409
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
haha, yeah I do actually. It's really good. I normally don't get stuff like that, but I had to. "The Deadly Rhythm" sounds nuts. That album single handedly changed how I look at production.

One album that did it for me was Worship and Tribute. The production on that album isn't immaculate in terms of mixing or anything like that, but more in the choice and execution of tones. Every layer on those Pro Tools files sounds like a lot of love went into figuring out which tone would be perfect at any given time. There's also sort of a reverse causality too because Glassjaw are probably the most talented band I can think of at manipulating tone in their composition. "Stuck Pig" uses feedback and mute notes to create pitch content, not just as ambient noise, which is pretty insane for a major label post-hardcore band.
10:49 PM on 10/15/07
MasonR5
Water and Mason
User Info.
I got about halfway through the ramblings on the fire disc and that was with a few breaks and I couldn't take it anymore. It was boring, rather poorly written, and self-indulgent.
yeah, i hate to sound so negative, but these two cds really kinda disappointed me. still good stuff, but i had set my hopes a little too high for this release.

i really can't wait to hear Earth...gotta wait a couple months.

EDIT: after listening to these two EPs for the last two hours straight, i think they are both starting to grow on me.
11:31 PM on 10/15/07
FUCKDIRTYWIPES
Kicking it middle school
User Info.
good review and album.
11:31 PM on 10/15/07
twentyfour07
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Awesome review. You really did the release great justice. There are just so many layers to all of the songs.. It's almost hard to digest at first. The more I listened though the more I was able to appreciate every little detail embedded in the EPs. To me, the water disc has some of the most beautifully written music in recent memory.. I can't help but but get chills every time I listen to Digital Sea, Open Water, and Lost Continent. Absolutely incredible.

Overall, the composition and execution of this release is stunning. Each track is gripping in its own way. Different absolutely, but their are so many bands out there that seem afraid to evolve their sound past what their label wants that I can truly say that for me, Thrice has shown me that in at least some cases, that's not true. Just my two cents.

P.S. I love the poe references in "The Arsonist".
11:36 PM on 10/15/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i kinda thought that line would come along. well done.

hey, as a sidenote, do you happen to go to the university of missouri? my sister goes there (i'm from kansas city, but i wanted to get the hell out of missouri for college).

I sure do, and I did the same thing as you as I'm originally from Texas. i got the heck out of there.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums