Password

Album Review
Deuce - Nine Lives Album Cover

Deuce - Nine Lives

Reviewed by
Deuce - Nine Lives
Record Label: Five Seven Music
Release Date: April 24, 2012
In late 2009, a full year after Hollywood Undead's debut album "Swan Songs" had been released, the rap-rock group decided to part ways with one of its key members. Aron Erlichman, also more widely known as Deuce, was fired due to his inability to cooperate with the rest of the band. Angry, Deuce decided to start a solo career, and now Deuce has released his first solo album. Nine Lives has ups, but at the same time, quite a few downs.

First of all, the lyrics of this album are largely awful. Multiple songs are so driven by sexual topics that the listeners feels grimy just listening to Deuce describe what goes through his extremely dirty mind. The first song on the album, "Let's Get It Crackin" features Jeffree Star. This song probably has the worst lyrics ever written, especially during Jeffree's verse, which includes such lines as: "My vagina is a petting zoo" and "I only smash midgets and fucking retards". Yeah... needless to say the lyrics are complete garbage. The chorus is actually pretty catchy, as is the case with most of Deuce's chorus'.

"Help Me" and "America" are both enjoyable songs on the album with the latter being possibly the best song on the album. The former suffers from spotty lyrics and sounds like an early Eminem song. "America" seems much more like a Hollywood Undead song, specifically the song "Young" from Swan Songs. Then there is the song, "I Came To Party", which features the very popular Travie McCoy. The song is average, but the feature from Travie does a lot to help it.

"Nobody Likes Me" is a high point on the album and features Ronnie Radke (Falling in Revers, Ex-Escape the Fate) who changes things up by rapping, rather than singing as most of his fans would expect. Ronnie's rap makes the song and is wildly passionate as the Ex-convict describes his anger and emotions. The chorus is very pessimistic as one might expect from the title, and is pretty bland. Luckilly Ronnie completely salvaged this song. The rest of the album is mediocre outside of "The One", and "Freak Now" is one of the worst songs i have ever heard, like i said earlier, a very up and down album.

Deuce is back, but can't quite recapture his glory days in Hollywood Undead. The serious songs have potential, but much of Deuce's subject matter is simply weird and awkward. Deuce can write catchy choruses, which will help him in the long run, but it's hard to tell if Deuce will ever truly be able to be taken seriously. If Deuce can grow up, maybe he will be able to garner massive success, but until then, Deuce will still be remembered more for Hollywood Undead.

Recommended If You LikeHollywood Undead - Swan SongsAlbum Title; setting/mood
This review is a user submitted review from jdog22. You can see all of jdog22's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
06:04 PM on 04/29/12
cwhit412
User Info.
Sean, how can you approve reviews that are grammatically written by a third grader?
08:42 AM on 04/30/12
JordanGee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This sounds like it was written by a bitter Hollywood Undead fan. Anyway, both artists have gone drastically downhill and could give a good argument for having some of the worst lyrics known to man.
07:02 AM on 05/04/12
JohnQ85
I've Got A Secret.
User Info.
bad review, jus sayin...
07:22 AM on 05/05/12
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
User Info.
Rizzo approved this?

-10 respect. smh.
05:53 PM on 05/06/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Lyrics aren't a 1, they're definitely a 2 when you have things like Hot Problems. Considering I loved Young, I'll probably like American.
05:38 AM on 05/07/12
SnowBoardRX
User Info.
Definitely sounds like a bitter HU fan. Personally, I love this album. I could care less about the lyrics and their "immature-ness". It's just a fun album that I can listen to on repeat over and over again. All the songs are catchy in their own way. Although I must say that I loved Young off Swan Songs but America doesn't even compare to it. I actually skip that song now. The only thing I agree with is that Freaky Now is a horrible song. (Mostly because I heard it years ago and its old for me).
09:26 AM on 05/08/12
JohnQ85
I've Got A Secret.
User Info.
Definitely sounds like a bitter HU fan. Personally, I love this album. I could care less about the lyrics and their "immature-ness". It's just a fun album that I can listen to on repeat over and over again. All the songs are catchy in their own way. Although I must say that I loved Young off Swan Songs but America doesn't even compare to it. I actually skip that song now. The only thing I agree with is that Freaky Now is a horrible song. (Mostly because I heard it years ago and its old for me).

Hello exactly! lol...I was explainning this new album to a friend who likes HU and said that it never matter that their lyrics were immature and whatnot because THATS what they were about. So Deuce's new album sounding like old HU isnt a surprise..I love the album cuz its got some great beats,funny lyrics and reminds me of HU from like 5 or 6 years ago. and those were good times for me :)
01:50 PM on 05/09/12
IPixedYouu
She's got a boyfriend anyway.
User Info.
The album is between "bad" and "alright", but the review is decent.
02:24 PM on 05/14/12
agl
User Info.
The major thing that makes Swan Songs good, and Nine Lives mostly bad is the mentality. When HU wrote lyrics it seemed like, regardless of the content, it was honest. This album is full of contrived lyrics and horrible rapping, with the exceptions of America and The One, two good tracks stylistically that I really can't even back personally just because of the stances he takes in them. He needs to let his posse handle the rapping, and stick to hooks and beats, then maybe his music will sound better.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos