AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Concept Albums--Your Thoughts

Posted by - 11:39 AM on 10/18/07
“Oh holy grace, they made love to your face with a box cutter.”

The above line describes the lead character of Vendetta Red’s Sisters of the Red Death. The album is a concept album about a woman named Gloria who, after a nuclear war engulfs the earth, is born as a half-medusa half-harpy. She decides that mankind is to blame for her body, and she takes control of the world. The album is about what happens when she falls in love.

Weird, right? That’s how the concept album works, a technique used by bands to unify an album as a story rather than a simple collection of songs, no matter how out there the idea behind it is.

Whether it’s Armor For Sleep’s look at life from beyond the grave in What To Do When You Are Dead, The Dear Hunter’s life of a boy lost in a world of prostitution in Act II: The Meaning Of, And All Things Involving Ms. Leading, or Coheed and Cambria’s entire discography, the idea of an album describing an entire story is nothing new, as many of the most critically-acclaimed albums throughout history have been concept albums. The BeatlesSgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club and Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side of the Moon were concept albums, for example

They can be incredibly interesting, or they can be unbelievably dull and thoughtless. We at AP.net would like to know—what are the best concept albums? Which ones have the best story and which ones have the best music that accompany?

Which albums do you think fail as a concept? Has there been a band that has just tried to overextend their creative abilities and created a disasterpiece of an album based on a ridiculous concept?

For the second part of this question, it is obvious that some stories are just more interesting than others. Whether or not they succeed musically is a different topic altogether, but the general ideas behind some of these albums are great. Which albums do you think would translate well to the silver screen? Which concept album would make for a great movie?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 227
11:40 AM on 10/18/07
Smash Adams
make my wish come true
User Info.
I think they're either pretentious or fascinating
11:42 AM on 10/18/07
parkerjamison
Where Am I?
User Info.
i think concept albums are pretty cool
i really like trainwreck
11:44 AM on 10/18/07
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
The Early November album was a trainwreck.
airik625
-
User Info.
i love concept albums. some try to hard though and really ruin it for me. but i absolutely love them when they flow well and are cohesive

i think Drop Dead, Gorgeous' concept album would work well for a movie but didn't do so hot musically.
redsand62
Clown Baby
User Info.
This reminded me to start listening to VR again.
11:45 AM on 10/18/07
TorrentPhades
User Info.
when done right, and they actually do have a solid and interesting concept behind them, they can be amazing. When they're MCR's Black Parade, they aren't.
RadDness
4 8 15 16 23 42
User Info.
i had no idea sisters of the red death was a concept album. i obviously didn't get the concept. it wasn't that great an album either...
Kif
this is me irl
User Info.
If the story is interesting, then I'll go with it. I know Coheed has this whole concept idea to it, but I just don't care about it, so I just listen to the songs as individual songs and not as a concept. God I hate the Coheed concept.

Year Zero was the last good concept album I listened to.
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
when done right, and they actually do have a solid and interesting concept behind them, they can be amazing. When they're MCR's Black Parade, they aren't.
I thought The Black Parade was a poorly-executed concept but a good album.
11:48 AM on 10/18/07
outro
something dies when you grow older
User Info.
i miss vendetta red. thanks for the reminder?

one concept album that stands out currently is trainwreck. great album and good ideas.

as a say anything fan, i'm waiting to hear responses of what in defense of the genre is [going to be] like as a concept album...
TorrentPhades
User Info.

yes, I would concede that, to a point anyways.

nin's year zero was an amazing concept! I was so impressed with it, the ARG that went along with it was so cool. I just wish the album hadn't been so beat focused, I was let down but the songs themselves.
krishasaheadake
Don't start no shit wont be no shit
User Info.
Murder By Death's "Who Will Survive and what will be left of them?"
11:49 AM on 10/18/07
captainamazing4
@team_newton
User Info.
good call. this album was good, but failed miserably with the whole "concept" idea. i must think of others
11:50 AM on 10/18/07
HowSoonIsNow
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think every album is a concept album in a sense. Maybe not a narrative like a Coheed or Rush or Floyd. But every album has a theme that ties it all together. I don't like referring to albums as "concept albums" for this very reason. I think it limits it too much.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos