AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Skyline Drive - Trains, Planes, And... Album Cover

The Skyline Drive - Trains, Planes, And...

Reviewed by
The Skyline DriveTrains, Planes, And Automobiles
Record Label: Rectifer Music Group
Release Date: late September 2007
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Warning: This review contains criticism.

The Skyline Drive aren’t bad, but answering questions about why I (dis)like them becomes an arduous task. In Julia Conny’s risqué (and sure to be far superior) review of their EP, there is plenty of talk about the band's mainstream appeal. She's money on that point. Yuppies and WWJD-clad frat boys rejoice, here’s your band. And no, I don’t hate everything on the radio. I do, however, find fault with such generic pop-rock fare. The songs take two forms: ballad (“Pray”) or cheeseball rocker (“Don’t Go”). True, these things could be said about other bands I like. But that’s just it; everything I say about The Skyline Drive could be said about a million (literally) pop bands.

The most respectable thing about Trains, Planes, And Automobiles is its sincerity. The piano tinkling and faith-beyond-limits lyrics of “I Will Stand” oozes emotion (the good kind). A feeling of repetition is constant, though (“100 Days”). “Carry On,” which garnered the band some actual time on actual radio airwaves, succeeds without doing anything particularly different. A little crooning here, some string arrangements there, and plenty o’ power chords accompany touching lyrics concerning a deceased friend. People should hear this song. Apparently taste walks the finest of lines. What makes this song awesome and “Pray” skippable lies in miniscule, picky details. Guitar-driven formats work for The Skyline Drive (“How To Blow A Year”), and any sort of dynamics break up the pop monotony. (Popotony!)

Oh no, am I being too hard on TSD? Nobody ever moved forward by second-guessing themselves. “Out There Tonight” becomes overwhelmed by simplistic (but very loud) guitars and cymbal smashes. Cliff Sims’ singing on the chorus sounds great, but it gets to be a chore to actually hear him. Despite the inconsistencies, I found myself air-guitaring just a bit, just to see how it felt. The Skyline Drive could attract scores of fans with Trains, Planes, And Automobiles. But once (read: if) they dissect the disc, problems are sure to arise. It’s always a sad thing when an album doesn’t attract my attention like I hoped it would. Don’t shed a tear for me, though; The Skyline Drive have the ability to wow (listen to the end of “How To Blow A Year”), and better albums are sure to be on their way.

Recommended If You Like: Colors In The Air, Switchfoot, making puns at inappropriate times, Mae, leavened bread

I need more friendswww.myspace.com/skylinedrivemusic

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
11:52 PM on 10/18/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
let's play spot the Wedding Crashers reference!
08:24 AM on 10/19/07
Justin Link
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ap is on their top friends on myspace... they might not appreciate a failing review lol
08:39 AM on 10/19/07
TheGreenSeas
...are nice
User Info.
It's Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (not like the movie)

Generally this type of music doesn't excite me but something about this band's sound really attracts me. Sure this band has many "similar artists" and there is nothing too new here but their "mature epic pop rock" sound is captivating! I will admit that a couple of tracks are a bit bland but this is a very good release from a fairly young band.
08:45 AM on 10/19/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
It's Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (not like the movie)

Generally this type of music doesn't excite me but something about this band's sound really attracts me. Sure this band has many "similar artists" and there is nothing too new here but their "mature epic pop rock" sound is captivating! I will admit that a couple of tracks are a bit bland but this is a very good release from a fairly young band.

haha, i had the cd right in front of me and still typed it wrong. Kinda confusing if you ask me, but fixed, and thanks for the kind heads up.
08:49 AM on 10/19/07
Absolute Mest
i am hollywood
User Info.
I'd rather listen to A Skylit Drive.
09:03 AM on 10/19/07
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Stellar negative review. Thank you.
09:21 AM on 10/19/07
Rodeo Jones
I'm your huckleberry
User Info.
I enjoyed their EP so I'm going to give this a shot. Also I just read the story behind "Carry On" on their myspace blog. Pretty interesting story. Definitely more than just a song about a deceased friend.
10:33 AM on 10/19/07
theripped0ne
User Info.
they didnt show up to a show the other day. sick life.
11:21 AM on 10/19/07
singyoutocoma
Find a thread to pull...
User Info.
This was a good review. More seemingly honest and complete than a lot of them...I don't think it was calling it bad; it was just more open than most reviews. Good stuff.
11:27 AM on 10/19/07
evan324
just put some vinegar on it dummy
User Info.
this actually just showed up in my mailbox today giving it a listen now.. sounds great so far, they're 3 song EP was amazing.
12:15 PM on 10/19/07
jkretz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
boring under-thought over-produced auto-tuned predictable crap

73% is way too high. 5 years ago i was almost ok with the first round of clarity rip-off bands. but you know what they say about a copy of a copy of a copy....

mall food-court music.
12:23 PM on 10/19/07
ItsCountEjacula
User Info.
let's play spot the Wedding Crashers reference!
Is it the comment about Yuppies and WWJD- clad frat boys?
03:48 PM on 10/19/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
boring under-thought over-produced auto-tuned predictable crap

73% is way too high. 5 years ago i was almost ok with the first round of clarity rip-off bands. but you know what they say about a copy of a copy of a copy....

mall food-court music.

hahahaha
02:25 PM on 10/23/07
tsddrummer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great job on the review! Thanks a lot for taking the time :)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos