Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Wednesday Spotlight: All The Day Holiday

Posted by: Christian Wagner (05/01/12)
I scratch my head and wonder why All The Day Holiday wasn't one of the biggest bands on the planet. A group that never even saw an inkling of its true potential, the Ohio based indie rock act bedazzled audiences with breathtaking performances utilizing every single inch of sonic space to put you in a trance of ethereal bewilderment and question if you would ever feel satisfied watching another band perform remotely close to the level they did. Every time I saw them live it was the same reaction from an unfamiliar bystander: jaw to the floor, paralyzed in silence unsure of how to process what they witnessed from kids that weren't even old enough to touch alcohol. For those "in the know," you stood with a smug grin, knowing that you were watching a band grow right before your eyes.

Before there was Foster The People or Young The Giant being force fed down our throats by mainstream outlets hoping to regain a sense a credibility, ATDH was a clear cut favorite among the AP.net staff and readers when Linc Star Records released the Matt Malpass produced The Things We've Grown To Love. The band had a magical way with its lyrics, spinning poetic lullabies that our peers only fathom to write. The airy guitar parts and intricate drums played into rhythm with the soothing vocals. Unfortunately, the band went on "indefinite hiatus" in 2010.

Now in 2012, we sit back and marvel at what talent the band had and how it would never be realized. I vividly recall working for Linc Star Records and having my bosses tell me that All The Day Holiday was "the next big thing." Cliche? Absolutely. Far from the truth? No. For at one point, I was the unfamiliar bystander, unable to comprehend what I just witnessed. Those that discovered ATDH when the band was active know exactly what I'm talking about. Let's hope that for you first time listeners, you experience that same feeling of euphoria that we all felt. Head to the replies to check out some tracks from the band.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 55
04:13 AM on 05/02/12
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

04:16 AM on 05/02/12
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
Not my type of music, but I like 'em more than FTP and YTG.
04:25 AM on 05/02/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
Did this band ever officially announce a break up? Fuck I love this album

ATDH were on another level entirely from FTP and YTG. Both of those bands are incredibly obnoxious.
04:28 AM on 05/02/12
bluecrunchy
To shreds, you say.
User Info.
"Flowers and Fireworks" is one of my favorite songs ever. Didn't know they officially broke up.
04:33 AM on 05/02/12
InfiniteArms
Foreign everywhere I've been
User Info.
I remember sitting listening this album very late at night one evening and getting lost on what I was supposed to be doing because I kept being blown away. This album is so fucking awesome.
04:57 AM on 05/02/12
SweetThye
esta noche sera mia
User Info.
I miss them so much
04:58 AM on 05/02/12
HYGz
no. nice and slow.
User Info.
Going to listen to this on repeat at work today.
05:02 AM on 05/02/12
thechrisformat
let's tune out
User Info.
Love their album so much.
05:28 AM on 05/02/12
Sal Paradise
User Info.
True, being surprised by these guys at a show was an mind blowing experience. And how young they were was amazing too. Living in Cincinnati has some perks :)
05:29 AM on 05/02/12
Allstarme23
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Saw them at the last bamboozle left they were so awesome and super nice guys one of the best live acts I've seen.
05:38 AM on 05/02/12
mattplayscheap
plays with squirrels
User Info.
The hype around this band was insane.
They cover the Beach Boys at Bamboozle it was great.
05:39 AM on 05/02/12
ACA
Next Show: Braid/GreatBigPileLeaves
User Info.
They had a post-hardcore band (Against the Nations) before becoming All the Day Holiday.

Does anyone have that album?
06:24 AM on 05/02/12
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This was such an awesome album. I still listen to it regularly.
06:29 AM on 05/02/12
xsandwichesx
Back from hiatus
User Info.
It's a shame they aren't together anymore. Still love this band.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests