AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Tyler Carter - 05.02.12

Interviewed by
Tyler Carter - 05.02.12Rather than wait around for his first release as a solo artist, Tyler Carter hit the road with Go Radio, playing new songs for fans curious to hear what the singer will do next. Naturally, there are a growing number of questions about his future, including the possibility of joining Isles & Glaciers, working with his former Woe, Is Me bandmates, and his future solo release. Tyler addressed all the rumors and gave us insight on what's in store.

You've been out on the Lucky Street Tour - how's it been going?

It's going great, man. There's been a great response - a lot of my fans came out and I've made a lot of new fans, which is the important thing. I'm just having a good time. It's been a long tour, but we're just selling it and doing it.

You've got a couple weeks left on the road. What's the plan after that?

I think I'm gonna just go home and really think for a week, take that break, then go back out to LA and keep writing - I'm gonna do a lot of stuff with my friend Matt Musto (songwriter/producer, co-writer Justin Bieber's "Boyfriend"). he's definitely who I've been developing "Tyler Carter, the identity as a solo artist" with, and there's talk of us doing a tour. But yeah, I'm gonna go back to writing and developing.

Is there any time frame to put out something new?

I'm definitely working with my label (Rise/Velocity) to put out a four or five song EP, with maybe a visual - a couple of videos or something. Sooner than later is all I can really say, but there will be an EP out before you know it.

People are saying there will be a lot of collaborations on your solo stuff. Kellin Quinn (Sleeping with Sirens) is a name that's mentioned a lot - are you working with him or anyone else?

Me and Kellin were going to work on the Sleeping With Sirens EP, and things didn't happen as planned, but we're definitely gonna do something in the future though. He's one of my best friends. It's not happening yet, but there's no doubt we'll work together in the future. I did work with Musto on some stuff, and also Roy English - that's Brandon Wronski from Eye Alaska; we did a song together that's actually going to be released in a couple weeks as a free download. The song's called "Staying Alive," so look out for that.

There's more drama in the Woe, Is Me camp - you left, and a few other guys have now followed suit. There's a few tweets you put out that have people wondering if you're going to be working with those guys again.

We're all best friends, and I still have a heavy heart, but I will say that we are writing stuff. We're hanging out and building some chemistry. I'm not saying for sure that there will be a new band or that there will be a release, but we are writing, and that is a possibility. I definitely want our fans to stay connected to all four of us, and we'll see where it goes.

There's been lots of speculation about Isles & Glaciers recently, and a lot of people have said you're in their future. Have you ever been asked to be a part of the band?

Well, me and Craig Owens are pretty good friends. We've lost connection since I've been doing my thing and he's been doing his, but we definitely struck a conversation about Isles & Glaciers a couple times, and I wanted to go forward with writing that, but like I said - I've been doing my thing and he's been doing his. So it's not in the works, but again, the sky's the limit in this industry. It's definitely a possibility, but it's not planned, so I don't want people to get their hopes up.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
08:32 AM on 05/02/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
Cool interview. I'm interested in hearing his EP.
08:39 AM on 05/02/12
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
i like tyler's voice a lot, but watching his live videos makes me think he wouldn't be a suitable replacement for jonny in isles & glaciers (or anywhere else jonny has been, for that matter) when jonny sings, it's captivating. when tyler sings, it always comes across as him trying too hard. they're both talented, but i think jonny's is just a little more natural.
08:48 AM on 05/02/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i like tyler's voice a lot, but watching his live videos makes me think he wouldn't be a suitable replacement for jonny in isles & glaciers (or anywhere else jonny has been, for that matter) when jonny sings, it's captivating. when tyler sings, it always comes across as him trying too hard. they're both talented, but i think jonny's is just a little more natural.

Tyler's got the range and power, but not the thickness and rasp. Jonny worked so well in I&G because he offset the squeaky clean Vic and Craig vocals - I like Tyler a lot, but he wouldn't provide that texture.
09:22 AM on 05/02/12
immessedup17
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Tyler's got the range and power, but not the thickness and rasp. Jonny worked so well in I&G because he offset the squeaky clean Vic and Craig vocals - I like Tyler a lot, but he wouldn't provide that texture.
I agree with this assessment.
11:01 AM on 05/02/12
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
User Info.
He's too mousy, small, and young to develop into a good voice... Give him a couple years, if he don't improve, then he never will.
11:57 AM on 05/02/12
svd9988
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
dudes mad talented, but I dont want to see him replace jonny
12:19 PM on 05/02/12
shallow america
User Info.

This is true. Im just stoked he's working with mat musto! Always loved everything he did in Polaroid.
01:34 PM on 05/02/12
Ricketts
@allenricketts
User Info.
They should really just bring Johnny in to record again. It's not like they tour anyway. He has a voice that a lot of people love and that's all that really matters.
11:10 AM on 05/03/12
Jim Morgan
You Are The Moon.
User Info.
They should really just bring Johnny in to record again. It's not like they tour anyway. He has a voice that a lot of people love and that's all that really matters.

It takes too much smack to lure him to the studio

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version