Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Guest Blog: August Burns Red

Posted by: Jake Denning (05/02/12)
Today we've got another guest blog written by Jake Luhrs, vocalist of August Burns Red, titled "A Dream, A Life"
Guest BlogGod gives us all gifts and tools to live out our dreams and our passions. He gives us drive to live out our purpose, and some may not realize it at the moment, but it is there, and itís ours and only ours.

I had a dream to be a touring musician; to be an artist, get on a stage, and share my message, stories, thoughts, and emotions. That was my dream. So how did I get there?

When I was younger, I worked two jobs, I sold my fully loaded Nissan Maxima for a Ď91 Chevy cargo van, and worked at a printing company only to use my paychecks to make my bands t-shirts so that I had something to sell at shows. I worked at a music store for a while, and with every purchase from a customer, Iíd put a flyer of my bandís upcoming show in the bag as a way to self-promote. Iíd save money so that my band could record demos and then spend our weekends burning CDís to have copies to sell at shows. Iíd go to Kinkos to make CD covers and paid a tattoo artist to draw up our artwork. The band split the rent for a storage unit to practice at 3 days a week, 5-9 pm, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Sundays. I befriended the local promoters and they would get us on the upcoming shows with signed, touring bands so we could open for their shows in our home town. We booked weekend ďmini toursĒ to play out of town and build our resume of where weíve played and who weíve played with. We saved up to buy better, more efficient equipment so that we had good sounding gear to play with. Etc.

These are all examples of taking initiative to pursue the dream we had, the dream I had; the dream I was determined to live out. I had people tell me all the time that I wasnít going to make it. Theyíd ask me, ďJake, What are your plans? What are you going to do with your life?" I told them I was going to be a touring musician, that I was going to tour, play music, get a record deal, and be in music magazines. They would laugh at me, they would put me down, they would tell me their was no way possible...

When I was in college, my music business professor gave me a staggering statistic: I had a .0001% chance of being a successful full time touring musician. I didnít let that stop me. I didnít let peoplesí words dash the dream I had, or destroy the devotion and ambition in my heart to make my dreams successful.

Now, my dream did not actually come true until I gave my heart to Christ. I truly believe that God was with me the entire time, building and molding me for the moment I finally saw how important His son Jesus is. He carried me to that point of giving my heart to Him, but I had to sweat, bleed, and work diligently. I had to sacrifice everything that I had.

I dropped out of college to pursue my music. I poured hours and hours into making and selling it. I ended up having to leave South Carolina, my family, friends, and all that I had ever known to pursue this dream. I had to tour with people I didnít know. I had to live in a place I didnít know. So I absolutely had to live in faith. And I lived in faith. Faith that this was what the Lord had for me, that He wanted me to do this, and that He wanted me to work diligently and be obedient in my faith. I needed to know that this was a dream not meant to be dreamt, but to be lived out.

To make our dreams a reality requires a lot of hard work; a lot of sweat and tears and time. It takes sacrifice, and it takes faith. Faith in God, and faith in yourself. You absolutely have to believe in yourself, and you have to believe that it is meant for you. Donít associate yourself with people who do not support or believe in you. Be willing to work hard. Be willing to give; be willing to give a lot.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 128
10:08 AM on 05/02/12
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
It's easy to overlook the lyrics of ABR due to the instrument mastery and screamed vocals, but before their headliner in August i sat down and looked at the lyrics and was just struck at how good they were. For being such a devout Christian as he demonstrates here his lyrics are very non-preachy and well written, and certainly up for interpretation. Good read, keep writing great lyrics.
10:10 AM on 05/02/12
Ghostpsalm
Really Impressive Title
User Info.
I respect this man.

A lot.
10:15 AM on 05/02/12
njiata603
http://greatbigchoruses.tumblr.c om/
User Info.
Boooooo jesus
10:21 AM on 05/02/12
CurtisFFI
User Info.
Everyone is certainly entitled to their own beliefs but the following statements seemed a bit contradictory:

"God gives us all gifts and tools to live out our dreams and our passions"

and

"To make our dreams a reality requires a lot of hard work; a lot of sweat and tears and time."

Talent and success take dedication and perseverance, not luck of the draw.
10:28 AM on 05/02/12
Theclassybass
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Everyone is certainly entitled to their own beliefs but the following statements seemed a bit contradictory:

and

"To make our dreams a reality requires a lot of hard work; a lot of sweat and tears and time."

glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.
10:30 AM on 05/02/12
Jake Denning
User Info.

and

I don't see anything contradictory here.
10:30 AM on 05/02/12
oncedarkness
Listen to Josh Garrels
User Info.
I respect him for putting his beliefs out there so transparently and not pandering
10:32 AM on 05/02/12
oncedarkness
Listen to Josh Garrels
User Info.

and

Put together, isn't he just saying "Don't sacrifice the gift"?
10:34 AM on 05/02/12
yoursceneisdead
User Info.
I don't see anything contradictory either. God gives us the gifts and tools to live out our dreams, but it is up to us to USE the tools to achieve what we want to achieve. Just because we have the talents, doesn't mean that we don't need to put in the hard work and effort to work toward our goals. In short, God gives you the talent/tools, it's up to YOU how to use it.
10:36 AM on 05/02/12
inevitable
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

and

Not seeing the contradiction.
10:43 AM on 05/02/12
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
Quote:
Now, my dream did not actually come true until I gave my heart to Christ.
That's when I stopped reading.
10:44 AM on 05/02/12
Jake Denning
User Info.
10:45 AM on 05/02/12
yoursceneisdead
User Info.
pretty sure nobody cares when you stopped reading.
10:45 AM on 05/02/12
Acad08
@explorerbri
User Info.

and

Nothing wrong or contradictory about this statement.

Jake is the MAN! The way he performs and speaks through Christ is amazing. Hope to catch another show soon!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests