AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 124.
11:08 AM on 05/02/12
CurtisFFI
User Info.
I stand by my statement that there is a big contradiction in his blog. I didn't attack his religion at all so no need to get defensive. Nearly everything that he stated he has done, can be done equally well without faith.

I have an issue with people saying "God gave you that talent" because it almost discredits everything else you do. My drummer once relayed a story to me where his mom said "You should be happy God made you a good drummer" and it immediately upset him. He's a good drummer because he went to lessons, played his ass off for years, practiced to a metronome, etc etc...not because it was just "given" to him or in "God's plan".
11:15 AM on 05/02/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
It happens both ways though. It's like as soon as a Christian opens his mouth you have someone that doesn't believe jump on them. And then when that happens, you have the Christian getting upset because of it. The bottom line is, no one ever said living a Christian lifestyle was a walk in the park. You're going to be persecuted for your beliefs. The underlying principle that is too often overlooked by the Christian is that, this is going to happen and you love the person anyway. Christians give themselves a bad name, and I completely understand why someone that doesn't believe in that, could be easily upset by it.

I'm sorry if Christianity offends you for some reason. Christians shouldn't be like Crusaders, and nonbelievers shouldn't be like Dan Savage. There's no room for bullying either way.
well...what did Dan Savage do again? call some people wimps for walking out b/c he questioned the bible's omnipotent, omnipresent authority? yeah..not quite condoning the stoning of homosexuals.
11:17 AM on 05/02/12
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
Seems like the guy made it the right way. Hard work, sticking to real, actual marketing rather than boosting up facebook likes and myspace plays. No kickstarters, just two jobs, sacrifices, etc. The part about God, I interpreted it as him saying that you really need to believe in yourself, and in your abilities to make it. Jake is one of the best spoken guys in his scene, so I respect and listen when he talks/writes.
11:24 AM on 05/02/12
Jason949
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That's when I stopped reading.
with you.
11:24 AM on 05/02/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
That was a great blog. ABR is one of the better metalcore bands out there today.

I also really appreciate his openness and honesty in sharing his faith and beliefs when it isn't the popular thing to do in the music scene and industry.

Definitely inspired me to follow my dream and work harder toward it as well!
11:25 AM on 05/02/12
TheRxBandit
nope.avi
User Info.
i fully understand that. i only read his blog once, but i don't recall him saying anywhere that "the only way to make your dreams a reality is by being devoted to god." different things work for different people. if sacrificing his life to christ and being devoted to god worked for him, who's to argue that? i applaud jake for his honesty and the way he gets right to the point.
Sorry, I just took your "it worked for him" the wrong way. Jake's last paragraph is summed up quite nicely, and obviously it can't apply for everyone, but yes, "faith in yourself" is ultimately what pushes people the extra mile. But both non-believers and believers have to have faith in themselves, but only believers also think that having faith in God pushes them forward, as well.
11:26 AM on 05/02/12
TheRxBandit
nope.avi
User Info.
well...what did Dan Savage do again? call some people wimps for walking out b/c he questioned the bible's omnipotent, omnipresent authority? yeah..not quite condoning the stoning of homosexuals.
Yes, comparing Dan Savage to the Crusaders is so ridiculously over the top. Savage PEACEFULLY speaks against ignorance. The same cannot be said for the other party.
11:28 AM on 05/02/12
Beatzero
User Info.
Amazing how people can take a positive message and spin it out of control.
11:28 AM on 05/02/12
TheRxBandit
nope.avi
User Info.
I stand by my statement that there is a big contradiction in his blog. I didn't attack his religion at all so no need to get defensive. Nearly everything that he stated he has done, can be done equally well without faith.

I have an issue with people saying "God gave you that talent" because it almost discredits everything else you do. My drummer once relayed a story to me where his mom said "You should be happy God made you a good drummer" and it immediately upset him. He's a good drummer because he went to lessons, played his ass off for years, practiced to a metronome, etc etc...not because it was just "given" to him or in "God's plan".
I agree whole-heartedly with your argument, but I don't think that's what Jake is saying. I think Jake is saying that God gave him life. God gave him the opportunity to be here and the chance to be something, and so he's taking full advantage of that and using God's faith in him as a method to personally progress.

That's my interpretation, at least.
11:31 AM on 05/02/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
I agree whole-heartedly with your argument, but I don't think that's what Jake is saying. I think Jake is saying that God gave him life. God gave him the opportunity to be here and the chance to be something, and so he's taking full advantage of that and using God's faith in him as a method to personally progress.

His mom gave him life. His parent's sex gave him the opportunity to live.
11:32 AM on 05/02/12
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
User Info.
Well he really Tebowed this. I respect the guy for not hiding his beliefs but come on, make it accessible for people who don't believe in God. I'm sure it turned a lot of people off.

And as a side note, if there was a god, why in the hell would he give you the chance to make music and disregard all others? Is that not a little narcissistic? And anyway, an all powerful sky man has more important things to do like cure cancer and AIDS.
11:38 AM on 05/02/12
kneifelspy
She never sleeps.
User Info.
I feel like most people tend to give a little more respect to someone like Jake Luhrs or Dustin Kensrue for being upfront about their faith because there is a lot of respect for their band--even if they don't necessarily agree with it. But for musicians who have not reached the same level of professional success beforehand, outward faith can be a total deal-breaker. Where is the cross-over happening?
11:41 AM on 05/02/12
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust
User Info.
And as a side note, if there was a god, why in the hell would he give you the chance to make music and disregard all others? Is that not a little narcissistic? And anyway, an all powerful sky man has more important things to do like cure cancer and AIDS.

Yeah, this always infuriates me. Some 30 or 40 thousand kids die each day from hunger, but praise God for bestowing upon Jake the ability to yell into a microphone!
11:42 AM on 05/02/12
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust
User Info.
I feel like most people tend to give a little more respect to someone like Jake Luhrs or Dustin Kensrue for being upfront about their faith because there is a lot of respect for their band--even if they don't necessarily agree with it. But for musicians who have not reached the same level of professional success beforehand, outward faith can be a total deal-breaker. Where is the cross-over happening?
I think part of it is that "Christian" bands were all the rage not too long ago. That label automatically opens a huge market and there were a lot of bands that weren't genuine about it at all. Comparatively, Jake and Dustin write meaningful music and are genuine about everything they say. I have very little patience for religion, but I still respect the hell out of both.
11:54 AM on 05/02/12
CurtisFFI
User Info.

Fair enough! If that is what he is trying to convey, he is entitled to his beliefs :)
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests