Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 10
Displaying posts 135 - 150 of 566.
02:58 PM on 05/03/12
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
User Info.
That's where the problem lies. Older crowds normally don't want to listen to music inspired by their generation, unless it gets really big. If they want to listen to Billy Joel or Tom Petty, they'll listen to them. And younger crowds just want something similar to EIIT, so they alienated their audience and pared it down to something they want to do, which is fine, but cost them in terms of fans.

Yeah, I guess I never thought of it that way. I mean, it could've been force-fed to older crowds by them performing on Letterman or whatever the fuck 40-50 year olds watch these days but that's very true. I still love that album and I was really hoping it would launch them into another stratosphere
02:58 PM on 05/03/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
CARTEL

They were on the brink of becoming huge with 'Honestly', got bumped up to Epic, everything seemed to going in their favor....Then the damn fucking bubble. I dont want to say it ruined them, but took a lot of credibility away. 'Lose It' IMO was a great single that just got overshadowed by the Bubble and the reality show.

Then they tried again with 'Cycles' and the amazing single 'Lose It' and 'Faster Ride' is the single that should've brought them right back to where they are. But it just never happened sadly.
I refuse to drink Dr. Pepper because of it!

Haha, I do remember being called an asshole on that show though.
02:59 PM on 05/03/12
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If New Surrender had been a better follow up to Cities than what it was, Anberlin would be much, much bigger I think. Also, I heard Impossible on the radio a lot when it came out, but I'm not sure if DitW spawned any more radio singles after that, though....
"You Belong Here" was used in promo for American Idol. "Art of War" with some clever editing could have been great for a single.
Do I Divide?
Preston / Time And Distance
User Info.
Brighten.

I miss that band. Such good tunes. They could have done it.
schmalz
...with the saves the day record on
User Info.

HAHA
I missed that part. I need to find that footage!
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
The Urge, Autopilot Off, Acceptance
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Hey Mercedes probably could've been bigger.
03:00 PM on 05/03/12
collideoscopic
User Info.
I'll agree. "I Refuse" is a clear winner for a breakout single, but there were a bunch on Living Outside that had potential. Love that album.

I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that everyone wanted another "Save Yourself", and that's not really what that band was all about, even though it was a great single in its own right.

I thought "Living Outside" was great too - good combo of melody and just a bit of anger that their other stuff never had, but it just tanked.
Hagysaurus Rex
We yell like hell to the heavens.
User Info.
Also, I think the band Far should have been a lot bigger. It always seemed as if their label never really knew what to do with them or that their timing was just a little bit off. Even their newest album At Night We Live felt like it was made for rock radio.
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
I'd argue that Something Corporate should have been bigger than Jack's.

However, from a shitty human being marketer perspective,his leukemia should have been played up a lot more to get Jack's more exposure. The story behind Everything in Transit is as compelling as the music.

I believe it did. They did as much as they could. I mean Andrew got interviewed and performed on "The Daily Show," which doesn't bring a whole lot of musical guests on. The problem was he just couldn't get the momentum from there.

Obvious argument against this logic is Gaslight Anthem and Bruce Springsteen.

Right, but that is way more the exception than the rule. Even in that case, Gaslight isn't huge, they're just known. And another band that tried to emulate Springsteen, The Killers on "Sam's Town," mostly fell on their face in terms of momentum. Younger fans didn't want to hear their version of "Born To Run."
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Twice, if you count the remix of "Wasted" with Wyclef. Oof.
03:02 PM on 05/03/12
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
punchline shoulda been bigger
Glad this was one of the first replies. They still should be!
03:02 PM on 05/03/12
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
Cartel and Valencia are the ones who first pop into my mind.
03:03 PM on 05/03/12
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
As far as Matchbook Romance, I never got into their second album(I think it was called Monsters), but usually its a band's sophomore album that makes or breaks a band. Acceptance and Autopilot Off never had a second chance to release a second album.

Sugarcult should have been bigger than they were. Start Static was fantastic, but Palm Trees and Power Lines had a lot more slower tempo type songs which knocked them under the radar.
03:03 PM on 05/03/12
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Lanemeyer
Copeland
Thrice - beggars and major/minor era
Fuck yeah Lanemeyer. Even more so, I'd say Day at the Fair.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests