03:04 PM on 05/03/12
Qadriyyah
Yeah, that girl...
User Info.
Also The Starting Line for sure.
Jason Tate
User Info.
Oh no doubt, that's how I found out about them. I don't know if it's where I live, but a lot of the adored bands on here that I've seen live have not been quite as popular of a draw offline as they are online. For example, I saw The Dangerous Summer & Moving Mountains at Warped Tour and there were maybe 20 people watching, 10 who knew the words - maybe their popularity doesn't quite the reach the West Coast?
Yeah, I think we have an inflated view, at times, of bands like that ... we see a bazillion comments and posts and praise for a band ... and think they're big. But outside of ... well ... here ... they're just not.

For sure, it was a miracle when they got signed again and then a shame to see it really go nowhere. I loved their DVD though, and seeing a packed room sing along to every room just made me sad that didn't happen all over the country.
I got drunk and had a long talk with Corey over The Graduate and all of that ... man, it was just not in the stars it seems.
cwhit412
User Info.
Virgin did little to no backing on that record and single.
"Island" should have been a massive summer hit but with little help and promotion from their label hurt.
Island dominated Alternative radio for a while...that's how I first heard it. I remember hearing it on the way to tennis camp every day.
Jason Tate
User Info.
Punchline... Rewind EP and Action era Punchline.

They were on FBR who were pumpin out hit makers
Action is such a solid album with hooks and ballads.

Sucks they never took off.
They shoulda pimped out their bassist way earlier.
03:05 PM on 05/03/12
cwhit412
User Info.
Surprised that "Bounce" by The Cab didn't take off. I think we all know that's a monster single that never did anything. They could have been massive.
They're getting a decent amount of steam on sirius hits. Bad went top ten, maybe even top five.
03:06 PM on 05/03/12
x0kristennn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love the My Favorite Highway mention. I've always thought that their songs (and similarly Holiday Parade's) are some of the best pop rock songs I've ever heard -- well above what is on the radio today. It's a shame that both of those bands never got the publicity they deserved.
03:07 PM on 05/03/12
cwhit412
User Info.
i might be in the minority here, but i would say Saosin (Cove version).

Obviously they arent the kind of band to fit multiple radio formats, but S/T was tailor made for modern/alternative rock stations. I remember reading an article in Alt. Press about how You're Not Alone should have been a massive single and it just wasn't.

I think they were definitely victims of time and place. Capitol Records was just a disaster then and they never got a full push.
I remember Voices and You're Not Alone being pretty big on modern rock/alt radio for a while.
03:08 PM on 05/03/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Twice, if you count the remix of "Wasted" with Wyclef. Oof.
03:09 PM on 05/03/12
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
User Info.
One band that got really close to breaking out was Saves The Day. Some of you might know that they're my favorite band but this is a completely unbiased stance. They were on Dreamworks label for crying out loud. They had one of the most hyped albums of the year when In Reverie came out. Not to say that album isn't bad, I love it, but people didn't bite on it like they should have. Especially around that time that Fall Out Boy was getting huge, I would've have thought a band like Saves The Day could really ride the waves of Fall Out Boy's success and be just as successful. If any of you have ever seen the Daybreak documentary they released recently, where Chris talks about the experience of being on Dreamworks and how the album didn't quite pan out they way everyone hoped, that breaks my heart.
Jason Tate
User Info.
As far as Matchbook Romance, I never got into their second album(I think it was called Monsters), but usually its a band's sophomore album that makes or breaks a band. Acceptance and Autopilot Off never had a second chance to release a second album.

Sugarcult should have been bigger than they were. Start Static was fantastic, but Palm Trees and Power Lines had a lot more slower tempo type songs which knocked them under the radar.
Sugarcult released, what doesn't make me sound cool, mostly good albums IMO.
Hagysaurus Rex
We yell like hell to the heavens.
User Info.
The only reason i said New Surrender is because it had a massive hit in The Feel Good Drag. Had a great amount of radio time and was on top on the rock charts.
Okay, I understand what you meant now. Yes, that song was megahuge for them (even though I still prefer the NTFP version.) :kanyeshrug:
03:10 PM on 05/03/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
One band that got really close to breaking out was Saves The Day. Some of you might know that they're my favorite band but this is a completely unbiased stance. They were on Dreamworks label for crying out loud. They had one of the most hyped albums of the year when In Reverie came out. Not to say that album isn't bad, I love it, but people didn't bite on it like they should have. Especially around that time that Fall Out Boy was getting huge, I would've have thought a band like Saves The Day could really ride the waves of Fall Out Boy's success and be just as successful. If any of you have ever seen the Daybreak documentary they released recently, where Chris talks about the experience of being on Dreamworks and how the album didn't quite pan out they way everyone hoped, that breaks my heart.
The change in style and vocals from SWYA to IR was just too much. If they would have released SWYA instead --- just a few months later. They could have fit right in with Dashboard's rise.
03:11 PM on 05/03/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
This. this site worships the ground TDS and many other bands walk on, but literally a minuscule portion of the population actually knows about them. I have alot of friends that listen to this "scene" that have never even heard of a lot of these bands like Transit, The Wonder Years, TDS, Valencia, or even some bigger bands like TSL and Cartel. We definitely have a much different idea of "big" on this site then just about anyone else.
I'll just say it's cause we're awesome.
x0kristennn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"Can't Be Saved" by Senses Fail should have been a #1 top 40 rock chart track. Few bands have written a chorus as instantly hooky as that one.
Thank you for reminding me about that song. Playing now. So insanely catchy.
blimpcityhero11
Registered Fraud
User Info.
Interesting point ... and definitely well argued. I think that's the band everyone pegged as it happening with ... like the running joke has now become with each album release/cycle: is it now?
Honestly, "Weightless" was a terrible first single for the mainstream push. In my opinion, "Damned If I Do Ya" or "Break Your Little Heart" seemed much more mainstream friendly. Regardless, these guys are one-trick ponies to me. They've shown very little growth in their music and lyrics, and it'll be interesting to see if they can offer up something fresh and worthwhile after the terrible Dirty Work.

I'd argue that Something Corporate should have been bigger than Jack's.

However, from a shitty human being marketer perspective,his leukemia should have been played up a lot more to get Jack's more exposure. The story behind Everything in Transit is as compelling as the music.
As sad as it is, it's completely true. I would say it would've been much better to play up this aspect for The Glass Passenger, which focused more on his battle with leukemia. Aside from the music itself, there was so much more to fuel the publicity with the Dear Jack documentary, Dear Jack Foundation, and Andrew's story itself. Pair it with an emotionally-charged single like "Swim" or "The Resolution," and you have the soundtrack to a remarkable story that hits home with a lot of people. It may seem like a shitty marketing ploy, but it really could've been a truly moving and inspirational story for many.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS