Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Live Albums--Your Thoughts

Posted by: Anton Djamoos (10/25/07)
"Cornerstone, are you readayyyyyyy?"

So marks the beginning of Five Iron Frenzy's Proof That The Youth Are Revolting, their first live album. Live albums give a band the ability to not only produce an album without writing new material, but showcase their talents live. Five Iron Frenzy is a band that has done two live albums, the aforementioned and their The End Is Here album which recorded their final show ever.

Many live albums have been done in the past that showcase a band's live skills. Thursday, The Get Up Kids, and The Juliana Theory are all bands that have done the live album. We at Absolutepunk.net would like to know--What live albums are your favorite? Have you ever heard a bad live album?

Some bands now with the new technology available have recorded instead of live albums, live DVDs. What are some of the strongest and weakest live DVDs you've seen?

What are your thoughts between the two? Would you rather have a live album or a live DVD?

For the second part of this question, we ask you to hypothesize on what you want. Many bands break up before their time, before people get the opportunity to see them live, and often a live album could have captured the experience as much as possible for those people but there are no albums around for that. Which band would you like to see record a live album? It doesn't have to be a band that is broken up, but include bands that have broken up into consideration. Why do you think this band would make for a good live album? Would a live DVD be better?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 202.
06:31 AM on 10/25/07
Flags of Dawn
King Shit With That Crown of Flies
User Info.
I would like to see a Thrice DVD that mostly live footage.
06:33 AM on 10/25/07
squared82
why burn poor and lonely?
User Info.
Well you named my 2 favorite in the first paragraph.
06:37 AM on 10/25/07
DangerousDarrin
User Info.
My favourite live DVD a long time ago was the Sum41 one. I really like the first Coheed and Cambria one. The last supper seems to be a rehash of that with a few of good apollo songs.
06:37 AM on 10/25/07
stevecrumb
i know everything
User Info.
MxPx and NOFX both had really good live records.
06:40 AM on 10/25/07
musicalxchaos
beauty in the breakdown
User Info.
The Juliana Theory's live CD is one of my favorites. They always put on a fantastic show. I've always enjoyed SoCo's live DVD.

I agree about Thrice doing a live DVD, and I would also love to see a live Dashboard DVD...his perfomance is just amazing.
06:41 AM on 10/25/07
Blamo
A Machine In The World Of Man
User Info.
That Juliana Theory disc is a lot of fun. Really enjoy it.
Anyways, as far as the DVD vs CD argument... Really, I'd like to have a combo, if given the option. If choosing one, though, I'd rather just have the CD. I don't really find it all that appealing to watch a show at home, when I could go out and see one. There are some performances that are exceptions, though.

As far as favorites... The Mark, Tom, and Travis Show will always hold a dear place in my heart. The upcoming Daft Punk one is going to be incredible too, though.
06:42 AM on 10/25/07
ashesofapril234
Spicher
User Info.
I enjoy the my morning jacket dvd a lot.
06:42 AM on 10/25/07
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
All I'm saying is that Pearl Jam has wayyyy too many live albums.
06:43 AM on 10/25/07
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I really don't like live albums. The only ones i like is where they take their songs and make drastic changes to them, for example Mars Volta's Scabdates. Otherwise I would always choose a studio version over a live version
06:44 AM on 10/25/07
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
I really like the first Coheed and Cambria one.

Live at Starland Ballroom is excellent. It shows that Claudio does some crazy-ass guitarwork live... and the sounds aren't just studio produced. Aside from playing behind the back, he also talks into his guitar pickups. Total domination.
06:46 AM on 10/25/07
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
User Info.
favorite: nirvana unplugged.

i don't think i've ever owned a live dvd. i'd much rather buy a live album which i can listen to at home, in my car, or put it on my ipod, then only be able to enjoy a live dvd in front of my tv.

would like: a death cab for cutie live album. i'd like to see a double disc spanning their career thus far.
06:47 AM on 10/25/07
TheDynamic
User Info.
I love Death Cab's John Byrd EP. The last track is an awesome mix of Blacking Out the Friction and Brand New Love. So good.

The Jesse Lacey / Kevin Devine show that was recorded and given free online is entertaining to listen to as well.
06:48 AM on 10/25/07
sell the sunris
..is Batman
User Info.
My one beef with many live albums is many of them tend to edit and widdle (whiddle?) the show down. For example, I believe there's about 5 or 6 songs missing from the Milton Keynes set(s) from Green Day's Bullet in a Bible. Now, I know that most people aren't going to know shit like that, but it's still vexing.

That said, I have over 50 live Green Day bootlegs and they are just as fun to listen to live.

My favorite live album is the Cabaret of Desire import by Placebo. They constantly refine their songs and this acoustic set showcases their ability to do that perfectly. The sound quality is absolutely top notch to the point where I almost felt as I was hearing a re-tooled Placebo album
06:50 AM on 10/25/07
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
User Info.
I love Death Cab's John Byrd EP. The last track is an awesome mix of Blacking Out the Friction and Brand New Love. So good.

i was completely unaware of this. i'll have to check it out.

and i feel completely stupid for saying just one post before yours that i'd like a live DCFC album.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS