Username
Password
Streaming News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Streaming
Inside AP.net

TesseracT Cover Jeff Buckley

Posted by: Alex DiVincenzo (05/13/12)
Listen to TesseracT's cover of Jeff Buckley's "Dream Brother" in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10.
07:31 AM on 05/13/12
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
[sc=s-NWthh]45823759[/sc]
11:12 AM on 05/13/12
Manervous
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is pretty rad. I think for the band this must have been super fun to record but as a listener it's kind of less exciting (as a recording, I can imagine that this would be killer live). I guess it's a tough spot covering Jeff Buckley: He's like Jimi Hendrix in that most people were attracted to his instrument (in this case his voice) than the songs themselves so in covering them you either lose that beautiful vocal performance and ruin the song, or do basically an impersonation of Buckley. This leans towards the latter but at the end of the day I'd take a heavily-indebted performance executed this well over a Tupac hologram any day.
12:24 PM on 05/13/12
burncitiesas
User Info.
i was expecting something heavy..
12:49 PM on 05/13/12
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
i was expecting something heavy..
It's off their "Perspective - ep" which is all acoustic renditions.
06:20 PM on 05/13/12
guitarnick20
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is pretty rad. I think for the band this must have been super fun to record but as a listener it's kind of less exciting (as a recording, I can imagine that this would be killer live). I guess it's a tough spot covering Jeff Buckley: He's like Jimi Hendrix in that most people were attracted to his instrument (in this case his voice) than the songs themselves so in covering them you either lose that beautiful vocal performance and ruin the song, or do basically an impersonation of Buckley. This leans towards the latter but at the end of the day I'd take a heavily-indebted performance executed this well over a Tupac hologram any day.

I'll listen to the cover soon, but I will say that Buckley was a vastly underrated songwriter (still is), and even more underrated as a guitarist. His voice is undeniably great, but his real talent is in songwriting and I'd hope people realize that after the initial draw of his voice like you said.
06:49 PM on 05/13/12
burncitiesas
User Info.
It's off their "Perspective - ep" which is all acoustic renditions.

Ahh ic
08:37 AM on 05/14/12
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
Stormageddon Dark Lord of All
10:52 AM on 05/14/12
Manervous
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'll listen to the cover soon, but I will say that Buckley was a vastly underrated songwriter (still is), and even more underrated as a guitarist. His voice is undeniably great, but his real talent is in songwriting and I'd hope people realize that after the initial draw of his voice like you said.
Oh I definitely agree. "Dream Brother" is probably my favorite off "Grace." "Lover You Should've Come Over," and "Everybody Here Wants You," are brilliantly well written. I just think people notice the songs a lot less than they notice his voice.

It's (I think) a general conflict with great singers: Sometimes they sing so well you don't really hear the words. It's why I think word-heavy/complex storytelling lyricism really succeeds (not necessarily in my opinion, just in terms of records sales and critical acclaim) with simpler melodic vocal approaches (Paul Simon, Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, all hip-hop) and really acrobatic vocal performance seems to warrant really simple lyrics (Luther Vandross, Donny Hathaway, Anita Baker, most soul music).

Good call on the guitar. You into that Sin-e EP? His playing on that is awesome.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS