AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Night Verses - Out Of The Sky Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9.25
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 91%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.92
Musicianship 9.83
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9.17
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.42
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 92%
Inside AP.net

Night Verses - Out Of The Sky

Reviewed by: Jack Appleby (05/14/12)
Night Verses - Out Of The Sky
Record Label: Self-Released
Release Date: May 15, 2012

Best New Music

Supply and demand isn’t a concept outlined in Band 101. Oversaturating your market with a catalog of filler is just as dangerous as the Saosin-esque starvation caused from infrequently releasing music – neither sin is acceptable, and both can derail a band before the train leaves the station. By melding the best traits from EPs and full-lengths into one release, Night Verses has given the world a satisfying taste while creating a craving for more.

Modern EPs generally range from five-to-seven tracks, yet Out Of The Sky’s 18 minutes span only four songs. This smattering appears small on the surface, though the depth of each intertwined track adds a value most LPs only dream of. These aren’t four cuts thrown together – each song serves a purpose, creating dynamics in a small package without sacrificing feel or resolve.

A mathy guitar climb in opener “From The Shadows Where I’m Low” builds into the first heavy-hitting chorus while also creating a tangible rise for is successor, “To The Ends Of The Earth.” The former’s methodical aggression contrasts the full throttle approach to that second track, showing the aforementioned dynamics only minutes into the release. A smooth descent into the mid-tempo “Be Happy With Yourself, I’m Staying Here In Hell” quickly upswings into the best sing-along chorus on Out Of The Sky, providing a springboard for the big finale. Even here it’s clear that Night Verses is a special band – the complexity and cohesiveness in their brand of heavy prog/post-rock is unrivaled, and meant to be played very, very loud.

Everything culminates with a boom via closer “I’ve Lost My Way Back Down,” the explosive and obvious single. You might as well crank the volume from the initial riff, because when this track climaxes, you won’t be able to help yourself from screaming along. It’s a surefire crowd-pleaser that completes the mini-epic in a substantial way while begging for repeat listens. Again, the united sound must be called to attention; each member is individually monstrous in their own area of expertise, but the impressiveness comes from their ability to mesh into something bigger. No instrument or melody stands alone, and every note works in unison, in favor of their immense signature sound.

Whether you consider Out Of The Sky a simple introduction, a bold statement, or a landmark release in its own right, Night Verses have fiendishly released a thoroughly addictive EP that will make many believers. Enjoy what we have been given, and stay anxious for more from a band poised to make major waves.

Additional InformationDownload the EP for free on May 15, 2012, via their official website.

Tracklisting
1. From The Shadows Where I'm Low
2. To The Ends Of The Earth
3. Be Happy With Yourself, I'm Staying Here In Hell
4. I've Lost My Way Back Down

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32
08:40 AM on 05/14/12
MrGlanthor
The next Paul Heyman Guy
User Info.
I cant wait to see them live
08:43 AM on 05/14/12
RiCCioLi
Midtown Saves.
User Info.
Can not wait for this album!!!!
11:03 AM on 05/14/12
canvasofwinter
User Info.
I'm super pumped for this.

So if there are four tracks, that means that at least one of the instrumental SoundCloud demos they released as Archives didn't make the cut, right? That's a bummer- I really love each and every one of those. Which one was it?
05:39 PM on 05/14/12
Bradalee21
Hmm...
User Info.
Can't wait to download this, what i have heard so far has been brilliant.
12:26 AM on 05/15/12
canvasofwinter
User Info.
I just finished listening to this. It's fucking awesome. This band is so completely in it to win it. I'll be amazed if they don't blow up soon.
03:06 AM on 05/15/12
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
I just finished listening to this. It's fucking awesome. This band is so completely in it to win it. I'll be amazed if they don't blow up soon.

Sums up my thoughts pretty well.
03:08 AM on 05/15/12
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
Doug is one of my favorite vocalists so I knew this would be good. Im bummed about The Sleeping but this has so much potential.
06:08 AM on 05/15/12
RiCCioLi
Midtown Saves.
User Info.
This sadly will not blow up. Only crap sells these days. THe Sleeping were so under rated and they were BY FAR BETTER THAN 99% OF Victory's generic bands. No offense to Night Verses because Im loving this EP, just my opinion.
06:46 AM on 05/15/12
henry chinaski
User Info.
rules!
07:53 AM on 05/15/12
Micah511
Let's Talk About Your Hair
User Info.
I'm super pumped for this.

So if there are four tracks, that means that at least one of the instrumental SoundCloud demos they released as Archives didn't make the cut, right? That's a bummer- I really love each and every one of those. Which one was it?
i think it was demo number2, which is a bummer because that was my favorite.
08:04 AM on 05/15/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i think it was demo number2, which is a bummer because that was my favorite.
I'm pretty sure demo #2 is the one that did make the cut, if I remember correctly.
I was searching online for the demos yesterday and couldn't find them anywhere. You know where they might be?

Also, the song from the teaser video they posted is not on the EP.
08:59 AM on 05/15/12
Micah511
Let's Talk About Your Hair
User Info.
I'm pretty sure demo #2 is the one that did make the cut, if I remember correctly.
I was searching online for the demos yesterday and couldn't find them anywhere. You know where they might be?

Also, the song from the teaser video they posted is not on the EP.

It was on pure volume was where I heard it.
09:18 AM on 05/15/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It was on pure volume was where I heard it.
THANK YOU! Found 'em.
Also, you were right - song 2 was excluded.
10:37 AM on 05/15/12
Jason Gardner
facedesk.jpg
User Info.
Nice review Jack. Definitely excited to not only hear more, but see this in action live.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums