AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Counting Crows News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Counting Crows Want You To Download Their New Music ... On BitTorrent

Posted by - 11:50 AM on 05/14/12
Counting Crows released Underwater Sunshine (Or What We Did On Our Summer Vacation) in June - which you can stream in the replies - and they want you to download four new songs from the album, complete with liner notes and artwork, for free on BitTorrent. In addition, BitTorrent and Counting Crows frontman Adam Duritz will host a Q&A session with fans on Twitter at 4 p.m. EST today. Participate by following the hashtag #crowchat and sending tweets to @CountingCrows and @BitTorrent.

Submitted by mr_raccoon

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
11:50 AM on 05/14/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
[scp=1788951]1788951[/scp]
12:51 PM on 05/14/12
runningohfive
I know...
User Info.
Interesting...
01:01 PM on 05/14/12
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
I'll be interested to hear what he says about BitTorrent as a distribution model versus a means of generating revenue.
02:02 PM on 05/14/12
Fourchordwonder
This is for dreaming.
User Info.
I'll be interested to hear what he says about BitTorrent as a distribution model versus a means of generating revenue.
The cynical part of me wonders if it has anything to do with the album being a covers record and therefore lacking songwriting royalties.

Would the original songwriters have a problem with this for the same reason?
02:42 PM on 05/14/12
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
The cynical part of me wonders if it has anything to do with the album being a covers record and therefore lacking songwriting royalties.

Would the original songwriters have a problem with this for the same reason?
We'll just have to wait and see what they do for their next real release.
03:41 PM on 05/14/12
ShotgunGold
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Isn't BitTorrent one of those pirate sites??

Won't this be a shock to the system for BitTorrent users: a life of stealing and thieving and now they will finally be able to get the opportunity to actually support a band, listening to their music the way the band intended them to!!!
04:07 PM on 05/14/12
schaft
iESTOY POOPIN!
User Info.
Looks like the Twitter chat is tomorrow...

https://twitter.com/#!/utorrent/stat...25323167481856
07:19 PM on 05/14/12
boomer08
User Info.
Isn't BitTorrent one of those pirate sites??

Won't this be a shock to the system for BitTorrent users: a life of stealing and thieving and now they will finally be able to get the opportunity to actually support a band, listening to their music the way the band intended them to!!!
I'm a bittorrent user, and I use it to download out-of-print albums and singles that I wouldn't be able to listen to otherwise. Am I living a life of stealing and thieving?
08:34 PM on 05/14/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I can't for their next album with original songs but I will check this out I guess.
12:11 AM on 05/15/12
undonesweater93
Where are your friends tonight?
User Info.
Putting their money where their mouth is unlike so many bands. I applaud them. BandCamp would have been a better idea though.

Their ticket prices are crazy though...
07:20 AM on 05/15/12
Marbarian
User Info.
I'm a bittorrent user, and I use it to download out-of-print albums and singles that I wouldn't be able to listen to otherwise. Am I living a life of stealing and thieving?
I'm sure that's all you use it for, and yes technically you are still getting music for free when you could go to a used records store and find those albums. What you are really doing (as many of us are) is living a life of instant gratification, and with that comes this strange digital line that is very easy to cross.
10:22 AM on 05/15/12
botDs-r
www.twitter.com/shawnhyphenray
User Info.
released in June? First it's not June yet, second it came out last month. But awesome!
10:23 PM on 05/15/12
boomer08
User Info.
I'm sure that's all you use it for, and yes technically you are still getting music for free when you could go to a used records store and find those albums. What you are really doing (as many of us are) is living a life of instant gratification, and with that comes this strange digital line that is very easy to cross.
That is all I use it for. I download albums and EPs that I can't find anywhere else. If I can get it in a record store or on iTunes, then I do, but there's a monumental amount of great music that is literally impossible to acquire legally. If I could I would, but sometimes downloading torrents is the only way.

Take The Endless Bummer EP by Reeve Oliver as an example. I've searched high and low for that CD, even a legal paid-download, but it's absolutely impossible to find. I've tried contacting the band members and the record company, I've tried contacting fans on message boards to see if I can buy a used copy from them, but no dice. So I found it in a torrent. I've bought the band's other CDs, and if I had known about them before Sean joined Yellowcard and Reeve Oliver broke up, I would have paid to go to a show. I absolutely support the band.

BTW if you can find a place where I can buy that EP I will and I'll apologize for downloading it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos