Username
Password
The Gaslight Anthem News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Gaslight Anthem
Inside AP.net

Interview Tease: The Gaslight Anthem

Posted by: Jason Tate (05/14/12)
I had the pleasure of interviewing Brian Fallon from The Gaslight Anthem late last week. I'm in the midst of typing up the interview (transcribing is a pain in the ass), and I am planning on having it done and ready to publish tomorrow morning. But, since I've got a portion done now, I thought I'd toss up one of my favorite answers to tease the interview and get a little information out there for fans.
From the InterviewWell, lyrically, this one was no holds barred. Whatever I'm thinking right now, whatever I'm feeling, I'm putting on that page. And, I wasn't going to "edit" it I mean, I edited it like crazy; hmmm, I wasn't going to censor it. I wasn't going to pull the, "would so and so do this" or "would this band say this" or "is this cool?" -- cause you always think about your peers, and you don't want to say something that leads to everyone going "why did you say that, man?" - and then you've got to live with that forever. But with this one it was a little bit more well, it was less thinking about that kind of thing. It was "well, you know, if I'm not cool then I'm not cool." I just gotta write what I'm feeling. Cause what if this record blows up? And I had written a bunch of songs that I didn't really mean, but I thought sounded cool, and then I'm stuck singing them for rest of my life? And I definitely don't want to do that. And if I'm lucky enough that this blows up, I want it to be because I did something that was me, and I didn't want to sell anybody anything that I wasn't going to like.

So, check back tomorrow for the full thing. Personally, I think it's one of the best interviews I've done. We talk about just about everything. From how Lady Gaga inspired a song, to Against Me!, to over-production, to lyrical and album themes from the new record.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35.
03:49 PM on 05/14/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
Will read. Need album. Flawless band.
03:51 PM on 05/14/12
cgant5316
User Info.
can't wait
DecemberFaded
Streets ahead.
User Info.
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
Can't wait to read this, I miss you doing more content type stuff Jason.
04:01 PM on 05/14/12
plns
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Awesome. How was this interview conducted?
04:02 PM on 05/14/12
plns
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You linked to the wrong video - That wasn't TGA
04:03 PM on 05/14/12
Miketheunicycle
"Look mom, no hands!"
User Info.
haha im excited for both the interview and new material! woot!
04:08 PM on 05/14/12
sweetforever
User Info.
Looking forward to reading the interview.
04:08 PM on 05/14/12
SoundwaveUproar
Registered Member
User Info.
great answer haah
04:10 PM on 05/14/12
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
He really has high hopes for this album -- sounds like the label told him they'll be huge when they signed on. 45 is a great start from a fan's perspective, but I highly doubt the 16 year old rock kids will be blasting it instead of Foo Fighters...
Oh and if transcribing is such a pain, I'm guessing you record the interviews. If you know anyone who can write in shorthand use them as well, and they'd have the notes done for you in no time.
04:11 PM on 05/14/12
anamericangod
User Info.
Writing what you feel. Fascinating concept for a band.
04:12 PM on 05/14/12
trolland10
Listen to Limbeck
User Info.
so excited for this record
04:13 PM on 05/14/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
He really has high hopes for this album -- sounds like the label told him they'll be huge when they signed on. 45 is a great start from a fan's perspective, but I highly doubt the 16 year old rock kids will be blasting it instead of Foo Fighters...
Oh and if transcribing is such a pain, I'm guessing you record the interviews. If you know anyone who can write in shorthand use them as well, and they'd have the notes done for you in no time.
I think it'll do well on radio.
04:19 PM on 05/14/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Writing what you feel. Fascinating concept for a band.
Yet so often overlooked these days.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests