Password

Album Review

Above the Underground - Autumns EP Album Cover

Above the Underground - Autumns EP

Reviewed by
Above the UndergroundAutumns EP
Record Label: Lazy Bear Records
Release Date: May 18, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Only being a band for three years, Above the Underground will definitely be on your radar this year. Being one of the most prominent bands on the new UK pop-punk label Lazy Bear Records, the boys have already toured with Set Your Goals, All Or Nothing, and A Loss For Words following release of their second EP, The Fight We Won. Sure enough, they continue to fight on with Autumns, proving the reason why they are already on the UK pop-punk map.

Produced by Matty O’Grady, who has worked with You Me At Six previously, Autumns is fresh, catchy, and inviting. “Under The Weather” will be the most underrated pop-punk jam of the year, having the energy of early You Me At Six and likeability of late A Loss For Words. Having three vocalists makes the track huge and demanding, with each singer adding a different layer to the single.

Addictive opener “Anchors” shows off the chemistry of the three vocalists, with Four Year Strong style gang vocals dominating the hooks. The more mid-tempo closer “MMIX” may remind listeners of The Swellers as Kirkman rides guitar riffs, repeating “Stay young” as the irresistibly impressive EP comes to an end.

For those of us that just can’t get enough of pop-punk, Above the Underground have all we need to continue to quench our thirst. Albeit not terribly original, Autumns mixes exceptionally well with the breezy summer air. Crisp production and infectious vocal harmonies make the six tracks shine, while the chemistry of the young musicians creates hook after hook.

7.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
01:59 AM on 05/15/12
Gautz
Music makes life bearable!
User Info.
I enjoyed The Fight We Won so will give this a listen when they release it for sure.

Super surprised this band got a review on this site though!
11:49 AM on 05/15/12
Chrisj182
User Info.
Can't believe these have a staff review on this site, i've seen these a few times back home, about time they got some recognition.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos