AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

What Tyrants - 05.14.12

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (05/14/12)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

What Tyrants

www.WhatTyrants.bandcamp.com
www.facebook.com/WhatTyrants

1. How did you get your band name?

When I (Sean) was thinking about names, I found the phrase jotted down in one of my notebooks. I thought it sent an interesting message and fit the sound we were going for.

2. How did this band get started?

The band got started when I wrote a handful of songs on piano and recorded them all as demos, with full instrumentation, in my basement. I was fortunate enough to find other players to help take my songs and develop them into our sound as it is today.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Too many... Patti Smith, Nick Cave, Jimi Hendrix, Clapton, Stevie Wonder, Radiohead, Marvin Gaye, Spoon, Portishead. Anything with a bit of Blues in its soul.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

I think we would tour with Band of Gypsies. Partly because Hendrix. Also because they were so damn good and so short lived.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Whiskey

6. Why should people listen to your band?

We have the most original sound out there. It's something blues and soul, but still indescribable. I've been playing the music for months and still can't figure it out.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Bobby Fischer

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Friends, family, and fans. Also the folks who helped make our LP possible.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

The whole damn thing. Everything is so focused on profits and quarterly budgets. But music doesn't work like that. At its base, it is an art. What has resulted is boring, standardized music, not the creativity that music deserves.

10. Memorable tour experience?

We've only traveled across Minnesota, so nothing too wild. Just a bunch of hung-over people crammed in an SUV, driving across MN in a winter storm.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

It was one of the first websites I looked too for music insight. AP.net shows the power of bringing music lovers together on the internet.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Probably our new instrumental song "Karma Tree". Its really a funky jam and can last anywhere from three minutes, to nine or ten.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

The practice space.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Garth Brooks (he influenced me to pick up the guitar at age 4), late 80's and early 90's rock. Definitely Nirvana.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

To time-travel. That would be some trippy stuff...

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
A spliff or spot of whiskey. Maybe 4-5 gin and tonics.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I've been playing in bands all my life, since 4th grade.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

What Tyrants would do just fine on the radio. Whenever I write a song I look for ways to make it interesting and take out things that sound too "cheesy" or commercial. For example, I try to write weird chord progressions or mess with the structure of a song. That being said, there are definitely aspects of the music that are catchy.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Read, play with my dogs, go out to shows, and some brews with friends. In the winter I grow a beard and shovel.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I can dunk a basketball (or used to be able to).

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
09:38 PM on 05/22/12
Suitourinia
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
http://bpropecia.com/#9435 buy propecia generic hair loss treatment for women picture buy propecia online
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS