AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Cobra Starship - Viva La Cobra! Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 6
Production 8.5
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 69%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.82
Musicianship 7.26
Lyrics 6.89
Production 7.63
Creativity 7.53
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.46
Average: 74%
Inside AP.net

Cobra Starship - Viva La Cobra!

Reviewed by: Tony Pascarella (10/27/07)
Cobra StarshipViva La Cobra!
Release Date: October 23, 2007
Record Label: Fueled By Ramen

It seems that Gabe Saporta has experienced an epiphany of sorts. To the chagrin of some (and the delight of others), he has emphatically declared that Cobra Starship wasn't a one-album breather from Midtown by following up with a new album approximately fifty-four weeks after the debut. Viva La Cobra! proves that Saporta has refined his dance-rock chops with a little Latin flair, straying quite far at times from the handclap-styled rock of the band's debut, While the City Sleeps, We Rule the Streets. (My review for that album can be found here).

An electronic loop backs the album's opener, “The City is At War,” a song sure to start a dance pandemic among those who have been throwing their fangs up for the past year or so. Coupled with the next track, “Guilty Pleasure,” Saporta seems to be expressing his displeasure with the state of music today, with so much emphasis being placed on looks and attitudes. The latter can see him perhaps playfully explaining his fascination with the new band to all of the old-school Midtown fans who refuse to let their demise go. It seems that his interests have changed, and in the process, Cobra Starship has crafted some pretty catchy dance tracks.

“One Day, Robots Will Cry” is a bit of a step down both in intensity and style, relying on some fuzzy harmonizing and choruses similar to what listeners heard on their last album. However, the next two songs provide the heart and soul of Viva La Cobra!'s dance vibe. “I'm bringin' sassy back,” Saporta declares on “Kiss My Sass.” The song starts out extremely catchy but trails off until Gym Class Heroes' Travis McCoy raps a verse just before Saporta implores listeners to “throw your fangs up, Cobra style.” All in all, the song comes off a little corny, despite a very entertaining beginning to the track. “Damn You Look Good and I'm Drunk (Scandalous)” offers listeners their first “did he actually say that?” moment of the album. The song starts off slick but unremarkable, however, you won't easily forget the chorus for as many times as you'll hear it. About two-thirds of the way through the song, you'll hear a rather annoying voice start talking over the music, and that's where the song comes crashing down. I won't spoil the line for you, but you'll certainly be left scratching your head; it's certainly not something you'd expect from a Cobra Starship song.

“Smile for the Paparazzi” has a distinct Latin flair with the drums and gang vocals, although the chorus comes off very dull. If they came up with a better hook than that, we might be citing this as one of the best Cobra songs to date. “Angie” actually provides a breath of fresh air with a foot-tapping track that's not too over the top. Unfortunately, it doesn't do much else to allow the song to stand on its own. “Pleasure Ryland,” the album closer, is the most experimental song on the album, which strays into a very synth-happy atmosphere with a little R&B feel to it. To be honest, it sounds a lot better than my description might suggest, but it comes just a little too late to right the ship.

It feels like Cobra Starship is having a bit of an identity crisis. The over-the-top songs don't go far enough, and the more streamlined tracks simply don't go far enough to allow them to stand out from the rest of the pack. The instruments are often muted in favor of loops, and rarely does it sound like the songs could have been created by a full band as opposed to a single guy with a laptop and the right programs. If the first album could be described as Midtown meets Hot Hot Heat, the new one feels like Gabe collaborated with MC Lars. It's a solid danceable follow-up to While the City Sleeps, We Rule the Streets, but a lot of fans will be left wondering, “What if?” Viva La Cobra! won't put the haters to bed, but it might just win over a few of them.

Buy Cobra Starship's Viva La Cobra! on iTunes

Track List01. The City Is At War
02. Guilty Pleasure
03. One Day, Robots Will Cry
04. Kiss My Sass
05. Damn You Look Good and I'm Drunk (Scandalous)
06. The Would Has Its Shine (But I Would Drop it on a Dime)
07. Smile for the Paparazzi
08. Angie
09. Prostitution is the World's Oldest Profession (And I, Dear Madame, Am a Professional
10. My Moves Are White (White Hot, That Is)
11. Pleasure Ryland
Listen to Cobra StarshipAP.net Profile | Myspace | Official Site

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 76
12:55 PM on 10/27/07
pinkluv13
waking up to the green of your eyes
User Info.
it's a pretty good album..they didnt stick to just one style..but your're right..there were plenty of those head scratching moments
01:16 PM on 10/27/07
dubey
trillest
User Info.
I was never a fan of Midtown and I'm definitely not even giving this a chance after the last album.
02:07 PM on 10/27/07
demondays524
welcometonormal.tumblr.co m
User Info.
I was disappointed by this album. I listened to it again before and I'm finally sort of getting into it. While The City Sleeps is much better.
02:16 PM on 10/27/07
JohnnyTruant
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love Midtown but I didn't care for like 75 percent of While the City Sleeps.
This one is way more fun than the last one and I can get into fun dance rock than kind of serious dance rock.
02:16 PM on 10/27/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Very well-done Tony.
02:52 PM on 10/27/07
Johnnybot2000
Kidchino08 + Oregon =
User Info.
I think this is a bit more fun than their last album.
06:06 PM on 10/27/07
TSLROCKS
Knicks 2016 World Champions!
User Info.
First two songs are awesome then the entire album is a downfall. Songs keep getting worse and worse. Well except for Smile For The Paparazzi which i actually like. Everything else on there is terrible
06:32 PM on 10/27/07
smirkin_revenge
just came to dance
User Info.
i love this album. i wasn't into cobra starship until i listened to the first track and was like "wait, what, i want to hear more." i saw them last night and the show was just awesome. definitely a favorite band of mine now.
07:34 PM on 10/27/07
timgionet
User Info.
this album is pretty bad compared to while the city sleeps. it has a few good tracks... i love "the city is at war" up until it gets to its extremely cheesy lines "bang bang, shoot em up yea" >??!?! come on gabe you can be a little more creative than that. and i really hate when the songs on this album sing noises like "ay eh ay eh ay" like on "smile for the paparazzi" and "oh ohhh oh oh ohhh" on "kiss my sass". "kiss my sass" starts out extremely catchy and up to cobra's potential but it loses me about halfway through when those noises come in. overall, this cd is way too cheesy and not even a fun cheesy.
11:05 PM on 10/27/07
ZeoVGM
PINK WIG, THICK ASS.
User Info.
The best part of "Smile for the Paparazzi" is the chorus.
02:16 AM on 10/28/07
Vismund_Cygnus
User Info.
I'm a little skeptical about Cobra Starship and this new record. I got tired of their last album barely into the second listen...
06:07 AM on 10/28/07
IAPAI
User Info.
really good review. you verbalized a lot of the things i felt about the album too.
06:42 AM on 10/28/07
UntilItKillsYou
Does it feel like a Trial?
User Info.
Its not great but it is fun. I enjoyed driving to this record too. It's not perfect and hopefully they improve by the next record, but this one could have been worse.
07:00 AM on 10/28/07
HBK42581
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This band is a joke and this album is garbage. I miss Midtown. 'Living Well Is The Best Revenge' was such a great CD. I long for the "scene" of the past when TBS were still unknowns and Thursday was the "IT" band of all time.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums