Password

Album Review

Nothington - All In Album Cover

Nothington - All In

Reviewed by
NothingtonAll In
Record Label: Better Youth Org.
Release Date: February 13, 2007
And the award for releasing one of the most underappreciated albums this year goes to…

Nothington’s All In was released at the beginning of this year and seemed to be well-received among listeners. However, as the year begins to wind down, All In is noticeably absent from any mention as one of the better albums released this year. Granted, their take on southern punk rock never strays too far from their peers; but as Gunmoll are no longer together, and who knows when Social Distortion will release another album, All In fills the void well enough.

When I first listened to All In shortly after it was released I knew absolutely nothing about the band. So, after listening to the album and immediately liking it, I decided to learn a bit more about them. As the album showed a sort of consistency in quality not generally found in new bands, I was shocked when I discovered All In was Nothington’s first and only release, and they had been a band for less than a year. Reading on a bit further the reason for this became quite clear. Nothington are led by Jay Northington who, along with drummer Gabe Lindmen, formerly played in the pop punk band Tsunami Bomb. I don’t know enough about Tsunami Bomb to say whether or not they are influenced by their sound, but it is obvious their time in the band has influenced them in other ways.

There is not one song I would say is filler on this album. From track one to eleven there is absolutely zero drop off in quality. Unfortunately, the opposite is also true, and no song stands out from the pack. Part of the reason for this is all of the songs, aside from the well executed acoustic closer “The Death of Jimmy Green,” sound pretty similar. Though that can be seen as a detriment, it is important to note that this album is exactly what Nothington intended it to be. The songs do not sound alike accidentally. As a result the album tracks flow together extremely well. That is not to say each track does not have subtle differences that gives it some individuality to keep things interesting. A second vocalist is introduced halfway through the album in “Awake for Days” whose comparatively clear vocals balances Jay Northington’s southern growl perfectly. Further down the line Agent M, female vocalist of the aforementioned Tsunami Bomb, provides some really well done guest vocals in “The Last Time,” which is definitely something I would not mind seeing more of in future albums.

Some bands are able to write amazing songs but oftentimes fail to make an entire album worth listening to; in fact they might be better off releasing these songs individually. Though there is not really a song I would call “amazing” on All In, it is a solid album from beginning to end, and there is something to be said for that. If you are a poor college student such as myself you have to constantly justify your purchases of thirty minute albums. The most important aspects of this is thoroughly enjoying the album all the way through and being able to go back and do so months later. Nothington’s All In is still just as good now, half a year later, as it was the first time I hit play. If that’s not high praise, I don’t know what is.
This review is a user submitted review from llmp. You can see all of llmp's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
07:33 PM on 11/02/07
Adrian Villagomez
Heading Over to See 'Bout This Girl
User Info.
I'm glad you're writing on a consistent basis.
03:11 PM on 11/03/07
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
I used to intern for Scott Llamas, the producer of this record.
Interesting dude to say the least.
04:26 PM on 11/05/07
llmp
Incorrigality
User Info.
I'm glad you're writing on a consistent basis.

Haha, well...I actually just started a full-time job so I might be a little less consistent for the next few weeks til everything settles down. I'll still try to get one done a week, though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos