|Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.|
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
Empire of One
1. How did you get your band name?
Voting. It's the American way. We made a list and then fought with knives. The drummer, unfortunately, lost a finger. But overall we're happy with the result.
2. How did this band get started?
It's all Luke's fault. He's the guitar player and was the one guy who knew everyone else. We remind him of this whenever we have a problem with one of the other band members.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Almost all of them. You absorb music through your pores as a musician from a very young age. Wil, the lead singer, was a huge U2 fan growing up in Europe in the '80s but the band guys come from very diverse backgrounds and we all listen to everything all the time.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
U2 so Wil can die happy. Bands that make a big noise and leave people feeling inspired at the end of the show - satisfied, spent. Also bands that have good catering. It's the little things, really.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Green M&Ms hand selected by criminally underpaid interns.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because they want to. There is no other valid reason.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Who's the world's fastest downhill skier? Whoever it is, that guy.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Freaking everybody. They would be forcibly ejecting us offstage by the end.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
How long do we have on this thing? We could write a novelů
10. Memorable tour experience?
Having a tire on our van explode off the rim at 4 in the morning when it was 20 degrees out. That was awesome.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's a reminder of why musicians get into music in the first place. All the best reasons.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
It's called Thousand Yard Stare. It hasn't been recorded yet but it goes over well live.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
New Zealand. Go right now if you possibly can.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Paul Simon and Willie Nelson. All the stuff parents listened to.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Super strength and invincibility. Does that count as one? Otherwise it wouldn't work. It seems like you're not really a superhero if you don't have at least a little of both...
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
You mean other than setting a car on fire?
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
We're actually from another galaxy, here on a secret mission to understand your culture and why French people like Jerry Lewis so freaking much.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Only if we have fantastic amounts of money to throw at it. Under those circumstances, yes.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Mostly a lot of needle point. And vegan farming. Long walks on the beach. Staying up late and braiding each other's hair.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
We don't hide any of them. We are shameless self promoters, first and foremost.
More From This Author