Password

Album Review

Tourniquet - Where Moth and Rust Destroy Album Cover

Tourniquet - Where Moth and Rust Destroy

Reviewed by
Tourniquet - Where Moth and Rust Destroy
Record Label: Metal Blade Records
Release Date: March 25, 2003
After browsing through absolutepunk.net I was surprised not to find a single review of Tourniquet's music given especially that they are one of the longest running bands in the Christian metal scene with a grand total of ten releases dating as far back as the early 90's.

Since their humble beginnings 23 years ago, the California band has undergone more facelifts than a Hollywood celebrity and today drummer Ted Kirkpatrick is the sole surviving original member, a monster on the drums he has been featured on Modern Drummer among his other accolades. Past members of the band have included Victor Macias Erik Mendez Vince Dennis Steve Andino, Guy Ritter (founder) and Gary Lenaire (founder).

Do not let the Christian label turn you off, this band has without apology cranked out destructive and technical metal over the years and their latest offering Where Moth and Rust Destroy is no exemption. Released in 2003 under Metal Blade this album is a blend of intricate yet accessible Progressive Thrash Metal that makes for a truly pleasant listen.

Some of the standout moments on the album are the guitar solos, they are abundant and delivered with a god-sized punch, and it may interest you to know that Marty Friedman handled all of the album's guitar solos except on tracks 4 and 7 where he was replaced by Bruce Franklin, guitarist of Trouble. If this is not reason enough for you to check this album out I don't know what is. The opening track "Where Moth and Rust Destroy" sets the bar high with its emotionally charged intro riff and the rest of the album doesn’t fail to deliver on the same high note.

The nine tracks on this album can be seen as the band's best work to date but the crème de la crème track has to be the 9:31 minute long "Healing Waters of the Tigris" wrapped up in a Middle Eastern flair this track stands out from the crowd, it offers a three minute long guitar solo that is among the best I've heard, Friedman did a banging job throughout the album but truly came into his own on this track. If truth be told I could not find any real weaknesses on this album, it is a solid auditory experience from start to end, the lyrics are mature, the vocals are unique and the actual music is good. Do yourself a favor and give this album a listen, hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I did.

Recommended If You LikeProgressive Thrash; Neo-classical metal; Dream Theater; Slayer

www.myspace.com/tourniquetrocks
This review is a user submitted review from roundsquare. You can see all of roundsquare's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
10:29 PM on 07/01/12
jesse_hitz
Juice
User Info.
oh man this is old school.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles