Password

Album Review

Robert Francis - Strangers in the First Place Album Cover

Robert Francis - Strangers in the First Place

Reviewed by
Robert Francis - Strangers in the First Place
Record Label: Vanguard
Release Date: May 22, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Los Angeles' Robert Francis is in love with words. While that's probably not a startling statement for a singer-songwriter, take the following anecdote into account. In late December of last year, Francis relocated to Bolinas, CA to write a novella. He chose said location because one of his heroes, Richard Brautigan, wrote "Watermelon Sugar," in that very same city. So while most musicians sit on their beds and pluck an acoustic guitar in the hopes of a good melody, Francis relocates and writes novellas. Not your average run-of-the-mill songwriter, eh?

And Francis' love of words – and songwriting – is on full display on Strangers in the First Place, his Vanguard Records debut, and his firs studio offering since 2009's criminally overlooked Before Nightfall. The disc opens placidly with "Tunnels," a slow-moving affair that lifts gradually over the course of three minutes. It is a decidedly amiable opener and a nice starting off point. But the best is still yet to come.

Lead single "Some Things Never Change," is another tranquil and gradual affair. Opening with acoustic guitars and the words, "You and I, as time began, in the moves, in the howling wind, bitter line, bitter end, my enemy, my only friend," it unravels what is most assuredly a breakup ballad. Truth be told, there isn't much about it that is entirely inventive or original, but hot damn, if it doesn't knock the cover off the ball. Potent, passionate and deeply panged, it is everything a breakup ballad should be. This sentiment is revisited on the guttural hymn "Star-Crossed Memories," in which a deeply tortured Francis lays it all on the table, before diving into a searing guitar solo.

Francis is a gifted guitar player who studied under John Frusciante and that talent is evident in leaps and bounds on Strangers in the First Place. Whether it's the crackling "Perfectly Yours," or the sweetly harmonic "Heroin Lovers," there's a swerve and zest at work here that's hard to imitate and even harder to dislike. When he wants to be forlorn and tender, he does it as well as anyone, as evidenced on the languid valentine "I Sail Ships," the supple slow-burner "Wild Thing," and the meandering "Dangerous Neighborhood."

For all its peaks, Strangers in the First Place reaches its apex on the dramatic and enveloping "The Closest Exit," a taut and tense masterwork that hits at the very heart of what makes Francis so special. His pain is real, palpable and and deeply felt. In short, they just don't write songs like this anymore. So while California continues to churn out singer-songwriters by the minute, the best bet might just be Francis. One listen to Strangers in the First Place proves exactly that.

Recommended If You Like Jakob Dylan, Counting Crows, Cary Brothers, Joshua Radin

Find Him Here http://www.robertfrancisofficial.com

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
07:40 PM on 05/22/12
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
I was anticipating giving this a listen today very highly; the chaos of the day unfortunately didn't permit it. Apparently, it's worthy of my anticipation. Hell or high water-- with the rain lately up here, probably the latter-- I'll be spinning this one tomorrow.
12:51 PM on 05/23/12
jennstook
User Info.
totally checking this out
07:39 PM on 05/23/12
jopopemae
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Can't wait to get into this.
12:11 AM on 05/24/12
gjpinizz
Life With People
User Info.
i like this review
07:36 AM on 05/24/12
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
I really want this. "Junebug" is one of the best night songs there is.
09:04 AM on 05/24/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I really want this. "Junebug" is one of the best night songs there is.
"Junebug" is one of the best songs out there. Period.
12:02 PM on 05/24/12
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Can't wait to listen. Loved the two previous albums.
05:51 AM on 05/26/12
kennedyAM
Every Never Is Now
User Info.
I loved "Junebug". I think that has been his most well-written song as a whole to this point. Anything close to that on this record?
09:57 PM on 05/26/12
hf57
for me this is heaven
User Info.
Surprised to see this get a 92. I think One by One, and even Before Nightfall beat this by a mile.
09:59 PM on 05/26/12
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Surprised to see this get a 92. I think One by One, and even Before Nightfall beat this by a mile.

Agreed. Album isn't bad but by far his worst.
10:06 PM on 05/26/12
hf57
for me this is heaven
User Info.
Agreed. Album isn't bad but by far his worst.
Exactly, some good songs but just doesn't touch his previous two in my opinion.
06:14 AM on 06/20/12
kennedyAM
Every Never Is Now
User Info.
After numerous spins, I think I can say this is his best CD as a whole. Love it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos