Username
Password
Album Info. News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Album Info.
Inside AP.net

Groundbreaking Ceremony to Release EP

Posted by: Ryan Gardner (05/22/12)
Groundbreaking Ceremony just got out of the studio with Paul Leavitt and will release their upcoming EP, Don't Tell Me What I Can't Do, on June 12th. Hit the replies to peep the artwork and track listing.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26.
07:53 PM on 05/22/12
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Track Listing1. Eleventh and Bleecker
2. Don't Be a Dream
3. 19:35
4. Psalm 51
5. The Burden of Goodbye
6. Sometimes It's Not Enough

08:12 PM on 05/22/12
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
Artwork is not as great as their first EP, which i bought based on the case alone at Warped.
08:39 PM on 05/22/12
birtcho
is...
User Info.
Interested to finally check these guys out. Not really digging the art though
08:50 PM on 05/22/12
kismet
Occasionally a fan girl
User Info.
I'm excited to hear what this will sound like. I'm a fan of anything Paul Leavitt produces and I enjoy this band.
08:57 PM on 05/22/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
I need to go listen to these guys. Looks cool.
09:27 PM on 05/22/12
JonnieGBC
User Info.
Thanks for the kind, and genuine words! We always like hearing what people think about the choices we make as a band -- and that comes down to everything from Album Artwork choices, to Song Names, to what cereal we eat in the morning.. Well.. maybe not that far.
09:29 PM on 05/22/12
JonnieGBC
User Info.
Artwork is not as great as their first EP, which i bought based on the case alone at Warped.

I'm glad you liked the "Better" artwork so much. We spent a lot of time making that album artwork a gimmick to show that we are pretty serious about what we want to do as a band, but we don't hesitate to take the time to make fun of ourselves too. This EP has a little bit more of a theme to it, and really expresses more of who we are as a band that's been growing together for the last 3-4 years.

I hope you're able to get past the artwork and still get into the music that we wrote for this record, because lyrically and thematically, this record is the strongest record we've ever put out. And believe me -- there is a ton of stuff that we hope never surfaces, from past renditions of this band, haha.
10:20 PM on 05/22/12
samXcor3
music is music
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm glad you liked the "Better" artwork so much. We spent a lot of time making that album artwork a gimmick to show that we are pretty serious about what we want to do as a band, but we don't hesitate to take the time to make fun of ourselves too. This EP has a little bit more of a theme to it, and really expresses more of who we are as a band that's been growing together for the last 3-4 years.

I hope you're able to get past the artwork and still get into the music that we wrote for this record, because lyrically and thematically, this record is the strongest record we've ever put out. And believe me -- there is a ton of stuff that we hope never surfaces, from past renditions of this band, haha.

if it makes you feel any better jonnie i hated the "better" artwork, mostly just because i could barely read the title :p. i'll still be checking this out, will be interesting to see if the departure of chas affects the tunes at all. good luck!
11:58 PM on 05/22/12
JonnieGBC
User Info.
if it makes you feel any better jonnie i hated the "better" artwork, mostly just because i could barely read the title :p. i'll still be checking this out, will be interesting to see if the departure of chas affects the tunes at all. good luck!

Thanks, Sam. The "Better" artwork served its purpose, like I said. It was fun and was just kind of an in the moment inspiration.

Regarding Chas, I think he had and always will have a very unique way of songwriting and adding in his own bells and whistles to things. The music is obviously different without his influence (less solo-work, but just for a few of the songs), but we were never incapable of writing without him (though he did help with some of the new songs). He just preferred to do the writing -- until it had become something loveless to him. He has a new project coming out this summer, I presume with Kyle Krejc (KeezyKabeezy), as they're both raving about summer projects that they have coming up, and it will undoubtedly be amazing to listen to, and we'll be very proud of them both. Kyle was almost our new rhythm/lead guitarist, and Scott was willing to move to bass to accommodate his entry into the band. Alas, things weren't able to work out that way on Kyle's end, and I think it kind of disheartened Chas to not be able to have another great musician in the band, that functions on the same level as Chas. Inevitably, Chas had to do what was best for him, and so did we. Either way, the grind still must go on for us with or without him. The dream doesn't just disappear, does it?

The album (aside from Dream/Burden) has a lot going on in it, and there are songs where you can definitely hear things that are hints of something that Chas might have done something similar to. But we now have Justyn, and he's not only more of a team player, but undeniably equally as great of a guitar player for lead, and whom shares the same vision for our music -- and that may result in being something good for us, or bad for us, but a lot happened to us in the last year, and these songs speak volumes about that, either way.

Regardless, it was the record that we NEEDED to write to get it all off of our chests and move on. A lot of bands say that they write the record that they needed to, and it usually doesn't get received very well. I think I understand the need to do that now on a more personal level than ever. It was nice to get back to writing a record for the right reasons -- for the music, the catharsis, and the innate drive we all share. "Don't Tell Me What I Can't Do" tackles a lot of issues that I/we faced personally and as a band, including but not limited to:

-Chas meeting his now ex-girlfriend (Don't Be A Dream)
-Chas's departure/The sacrifice that comes with chasing your dreams/Chasing your dream (Eleventh and Bleecker)
-My best friend Chris taking his own life on February 29th of this year (Psalm 51)
-My meeting the love of my life (19:35)
-Falling out or growing distant with your friends/The falling apart and breaking up of some of our favorite bands (Sometimes It's Not Enough)
-The end of a six year relationship I had with one of the most toxic woman I've ever dated (The Burden of Goodbye)

It's up to the listeners to decide if these songs are better or worse, but lyrically alone I think that we've grown leaps and bounds as a band. Paul Leavitt really did a great job of helping us really make this record come into its own. I really can't stress how much this record means to me personally, and to my bandmates. We're proud of what we've done. We hope everyone that knows us is too.
12:04 AM on 05/23/12
JonnieGBC
User Info.
I need to go listen to these guys. Looks cool.
You absolutely do! Facebook.com/GBCrock
12:05 AM on 05/23/12
JonnieGBC
User Info.
I'm excited to hear what this will sound like. I'm a fan of anything Paul Leavitt produces and I enjoy this band.
Paul was absolutely AWESOME to work with, and we could be more excited to work with him again in the future.
02:21 AM on 05/23/12
Baines on Toast
So where's my Lois Lane?
User Info.
LOST reference? Will check out.
02:48 AM on 05/23/12
JonnieGBC
User Info.
LOST reference? Will check out.
Absolutely thrilled that there are people that get that reference. : )
02:52 AM on 05/23/12
Baines on Toast
So where's my Lois Lane?
User Info.
Absolutely thrilled that there are people that get that reference. : )

LOST is a cult!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests