AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Safe Inside - Location, Location EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7
Production 8.75
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 6.5
Production 7.75
Creativity 6.25
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Average: 72%
Inside AP.net

Safe Inside - Location, Location EP

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (11/01/07)
Safe InsideLocation, Location EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: October 2007

Just because I decided to go to college far away from home where I didn’t know anyone doesn’t mean I like trying new things. Basically, I’m a wimp (and poor self-editor – Blake). So each time I try out a new genre of music, I usually have to lock myself in my room and hold on tight to my blankey. And truth be told, it gets a bit tiring. But every now and then I take off my big boy pants and bask in the familiarity of some pop music variation. Shocker, I know. Safe Inside might not take much effort to enjoy or get into, but heck, Location, Location is some catchy stuff. Unfasten your seatbelt, turn off your metaphor detector and enjoy a tune or five.

Whirring, heart-racing electronics push Location, Location through quite the array of ups and downs. “Fame And Miss Fortune” introduces us to the nasally (but tolerable) voice of Mike Korsmo. Nothing awe-inspiring happens, but that’s alright because the song's in-your-face beats and synths keep things fresh. While “1.618:1” would technically be considered an intermission, it is easily the most memorable track. Chris Camilleri’s laptop skills are top notch and the song perfectly mixes lofty “ahhh’s” with effects and electronic beatboxing. The song speeds by all too quickly, though. Safe Inside would do well to put even more focus on Camilleri’s producing skills. He keeps things interesting. He makes Location, Location much more than just another electronica/pop-rock album.

“The Painter Of Modern Life” falters with an attempt at piano/snooze rock. Its slower tempo and longer runtime make it an exhausting journey. The focus rests on Korsmo, and his prose (if you can call it that) falls short. “Pull Me Down,” however, ends the album on a dancy, eclectic note. Korsmo never steps out of his range (a good thing), and the song’s drum solo is oh so (staph) infectious. A Capella sections can be risky in this type of music, but the three members of Safe Inside will have you clapping right along with them. Interestingly enough, this song makes little use of any electronics. I guess using the word “diverse” wouldn’t be completely out of order when referring to Location, Location. Safe Inside are on to something. I’m not quite sure what that “something” is yet, but heads may be turning soon. And if said heads whip back around in, oh, I don’t know, 15 minutes to the next Cartel/Boys Like Girls/Timbaland-approved pop band, so be it. But look at it this way, there’s always Europe.

Recommended If You Like: Cartel, Boys Like Girls, picking up extra shifts at GAP, Hello Control, "Can we listen to the Arctic Monkeys as soon as this Akon song finishes?"

I put the 'bone' in Zamboniwww.myspace.com/safeinside

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8.
09:45 AM on 11/02/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
ok, i just took out a whole paragraph. I had, essentially, two intros, and despite my still being a bit appalled by my own excuse-making habits, the review didn't need that. So enjoy a review rather than a blog

-Blake
09:45 AM on 11/02/07
TKTKrob
!
User Info.
This review is spot on!
09:56 AM on 11/02/07
Shaved Goat
Come on feet, cruise for me
User Info.
I decided to check them out just a second ago, and dear GOD this band is awful

good review though
09:59 AM on 11/02/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I decided to check them out just a second ago, and dear GOD this band is awful

good review though

no such thing as bad publicity... i hope. hahah, thanks for reading d00der
10:08 AM on 11/02/07
Shaved Goat
Come on feet, cruise for me
User Info.
no such thing as bad publicity... i hope. hahah, thanks for reading d00der

They have no room to complain with that 76%. If i were to rate their music based on the two songs from their myspace I'd feel generous giving them a 15%
10:37 AM on 11/02/07
permanentdan
User Info.
i like your style.
04:57 PM on 11/02/07
joshy hizzle
Rocky Top
User Info.
hilarious review, keep them up
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music