Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Essentials: Slam Dunk Festival

Posted by: Andy Biddulph (05/24/12)
Over here in the UK the days are getting warmer, the nights are getting longer and Britain is gearing up for a glorious summer of music. So there’s no better way to begin than with an indoor festival, right? Hit the replies to see the 10 bands that you'd be mad to miss at this weekend's Slam Dunk Festival.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20.
03:15 AM on 05/24/12
Andy Biddulph
Staff Writer @asbiddulph
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
InfoSlam Dunk Festival takes place this weekend at:
26th Leeds University
27th University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield

Full lists of stage times and venue maps are now up at the Slam Dunk website.

10 Essential BandsFuneral For A Friend
A hugely important set for one of the most important bands the UK's produced in the last 15 years. Slam Dunk marks their first shows with new drummer Pat Lundy, who replaces old sticksman and dual vocalist Ryan Richard’s departure this week. With only two out of the five members who recorded the genre-defining Casually Dressed and Deep In Conversation remaining, Slam Dunk is FFAF's chance to prove they can still cut it.

Architects
With career-best album Daybreaker just days around the corner and a recent sold-out UK tour, Architects seem to have been enjoying a crushingly heavy revival of late. Expect sore heads, sore necks and a glut of new material over at a packed Honour Over Glory Stage.

Gallows
This year’s Slam Dunk weekend brings some of their first UK shows with new frontman Wade Macneil. With a huge following pre-Wade and a huge audience expected for the Vans Off The Wall stage headliners, all eyes and ears and hopes will be firmly on unfamiliar Canadian shoulders. Expect something big.

Charlie Simpson
Following years on the cusp of acceptance after that boy band split, Fightstar’s Charlie Simpson looks to have finally won over all of his doubters with outstanding, expansive solo album Young Pilgrim. Expect more of the same from his headline set over on the acoustic stage.

Cancer Bats
Picture the scene: it’s just gone 7pm and the Slam Dunk-loving public are weary after five solid hours of phenomenal music. Who better to come in and wake everyone up in a 'you’ll-evacuate-your-bowels' kind of way than Cancer Bats? They’ve got form, having done it all before through last month’s Pentagram Tour in London where they played a staggering six (yeah, SIX) shows in one day. Always unmissable.

While She Sleeps
There's been an almost ungodly amount of hype surrounding this band's live show for quite some time over here in the UK. The Sheffield quintet seem happy to fill the wait for their new album by smashing every venue that they find themselves in to pieces with their infectious energy and gargantuan metal anthems.

Save Your Breath
Probably the best British pop-punk band out there right now. Boasting a razor sharp, live show and an abundance of huge tracks from 2011 album Vices; they're good, they're very good; and they look set to take the early evening Macbeth stage by storm.

Misser
Pop-punks newest supergroup recently released Every Day I Tell Myself I’m Going To Be A Better Person. We love it, you probably love it; so there’s no reason whatsoever not to be at the Macbeth stage at around 3ish on either day. With Brad and Tim likely to be busy with their ‘other bands’ for a while, you’d be mad to missem (I’m so sorry).

Rob Lynch
Currently on tour with Valencia's Shane Henderson, acoustic act Rob Lynch is going from strength to strength with his brand of uplifting, singalong-inducing pop. Get down to the acoustic stage, pretend you're sat around a campfire and enjoy the most heartwarming performance you'll see all weekend. You won't regret it.

Dead Harts
Perhaps the best of a great Red Bull Bedroom Jam year, Mansfield’s Dead Harts look set to tear Leeds and Hatfield a new one with their brand of no-bullshit metal. Fans of While She Sleeps, watch this space.

Slam Dunk TourIn addition to the festival, the Slam Dunk tour kicked off last night and is currently winding its way around the UK. Be sure to check out Hit The Lights, Transit, The Story So Far and Decade at a date near you.
03:38 AM on 05/24/12
DanTGD
Dynamite Hero
User Info.
Most of the bands I wanna see are on the outdoor stage. Gonna burn like a bitch.

Also, Decade should be on this list. Awesome band.
03:59 AM on 05/24/12
sambulance
I Invented Times New Roman
User Info.
At best you'll be able to see 3/4 of these bands as they all clash with each other! And where's Marmozets?!
04:07 AM on 05/24/12
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
Most of the bands I wanna see are on the outdoor stage. Gonna burn like a bitch.

This. Gonna need sun lotion man, or we'll look like crisps.
I'm gonna see:
Lower Than Atlantis (main stage), Say Anything (main), Motion City Soundtrack (main), Funeral For A Friend (main), Every Time I Die (honour over glory) and Taking Back Sunday (main) to finish. Mighr check out Zebrahead purely for the laughs too.
04:27 AM on 05/24/12
Andy Biddulph
Staff Writer @asbiddulph
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
At best you'll be able to see 3/4 of these bands as they all clash with each other! And where's Marmozets?!
Marmozets were genuinely #11!
04:56 AM on 05/24/12
jackSHIT
User Info.
am i the only one who see's Hadouken's DJ set as quite obscure?
05:11 AM on 05/24/12
deanster321
BLEGH
User Info.
Sorry to be that guy, but a minor correction - Ryan wasn't actually an original member of FFAF. He joined after Between Order & Model was recorded.
06:07 AM on 05/24/12
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.
Where's Don Broco?

07:11 AM on 05/24/12
ilovesofie
was I good to you, wife of my youth
User Info.
Great line-up! Would love to see No Trigger, Sharks, Transit, Motion City Soundtrack, Charlie Simpson, Say Anything, Make do And Mend, Cartel and The Story So Far!
09:44 AM on 05/24/12
ched zeppelin
I Can Get Back Up Now.
User Info.
10 Essential bands are Motion City, Say Anything, Transit, Cartel, The Audition, Misser, Taking Back Sunday, Rob Lynch and Shane Henderson
10:36 AM on 05/24/12
DanTGD
Dynamite Hero
User Info.
This. Gonna need sun lotion man, or we'll look like crisps.
I'm gonna see:
Lower Than Atlantis (main stage), Say Anything (main), Motion City Soundtrack (main), Funeral For A Friend (main), Every Time I Die (honour over glory) and Taking Back Sunday (main) to finish. Mighr check out Zebrahead purely for the laughs too.

I Think I'm planning for Zebrahead, Say Anything, Motion City Soundtrack and Taking Back Sunday on the mainstage, so see you there! aha.
Also gonna try and grab some of Audition, Cartel, Cancer Bats and Every Time I Die. Might watch a little of FTSK if I've run out of money for food.
12:37 PM on 05/24/12
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
I Think I'm planning for Zebrahead, Say Anything, Motion City Soundtrack and Taking Back Sunday on the mainstage, so see you there! aha.
Also gonna try and grab some of Audition, Cartel, Cancer Bats and Every Time I Die. Might watch a little of FTSK if I've run out of money for food.
Might just have to crowd surf shouting "DAN! DAN! DAN!" just because, finally, it's appropriate.
01:42 PM on 05/24/12
DanTGD
Dynamite Hero
User Info.
Might just have to crowd surf shouting "DAN! DAN! DAN!" just because, finally, it's appropriate.
Haha, I'm gonna be listening out for that all fucking day now.
02:23 PM on 05/24/12
Fatalix
User Info.
I won't be seeing a single one of those bands, but hey it's gonna be a great day for everyone! :)
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS