AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Money News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Kickstarter Watch: gTar -- The Digital Guitar

Posted by - 05:00 PM on 05/26/12
A fascinating new kickstarter has been making the rounds the past week or so, it's called the gTar. Basically, it's a fully digital guitar - that you can hook up to an iOS device and it can teach you how to play as well as a few other tricks.
From the KickstarterYou may be asking yourself what it means for a guitar to be "digital." While most guitars have pickups to amplify the sound of vibrating strings, the gTar has none - instead, we've designed the gTar with sensors that detect exactly what you're playing in real-time and relay each note to your iPhone, which then produces the actual sound. This makes it possible for us to do all kinds of exciting things ...

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
05:09 PM on 05/26/12
MikeYabs
We are the only friends we have
User Info.
wow
05:11 PM on 05/26/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
That's pretty damn cool. Not like Rockband at all, obviously. Interested in seeing what happens with this
05:28 PM on 05/26/12
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
Pretty cool for effects and all, but I better not see a single musician play with one at a concert.
05:30 PM on 05/26/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Pretty cool for effects and all, but I better not see a single musician play with one at a concert.
Why not? Bet you could do some awesome piano/guitar improv-sounds unlike you could do with anything else.
06:07 PM on 05/26/12
JustAHomeBoy
User Info.
This seems like a watered down version of the Starr Labs Ztar, obviously more for beginners though. Pretty cool.
06:29 PM on 05/26/12
Carry The Zero
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I wonder how much its going to cost to buy each song to play on the guitar. That could get expensive quick.

Overall, Really cool idea, but I'd be hesitant to buy something that expensive that only seems to work through their app. Once people start hacking this thing, it could get extremely cool though.
06:31 PM on 05/26/12
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
Why not? Bet you could do some awesome piano/guitar improv-sounds unlike you could do with anything else.
What I really meant was that I'd be pissed if some musician went up there and used the easy mode to avoid making mistakes. I'm all for using it to create new sounds though.
07:52 PM on 05/26/12
randys950
@randys950
User Info.

with the right amps and pedals almost anything can be done too, but I'd hate to see an all digital band play in concert. we'd see alot more artists like 3oh3 and millionaires hold these devices calling them musical instruments calling themselves bands
08:04 PM on 05/26/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
What I really meant was that I'd be pissed if some musician went up there and used the easy mode to avoid making mistakes. I'm all for using it to create new sounds though.
Haha, gotcha.
08:04 PM on 05/26/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
with the right amps and pedals almost anything can be done too, but I'd hate to see an all digital band play in concert. we'd see alot more artists like 3oh3 and millionaires hold these devices calling them musical instruments calling themselves bands
We see it already ... haha.
09:28 PM on 05/26/12
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
Wow. I'd to be one of the first to have it.
09:37 PM on 05/26/12
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen over 700 bands!
User Info.
I'd love to have one of those but I'm not shelling out 500 for it.
09:38 PM on 05/26/12
mattregan
www.twitter.com/vipregan
User Info.
Reminds me of Rock Band / Guitar Hero.
10:00 PM on 05/26/12
11:11
Soft sound
User Info.
It's a cool idea for helping people learn, but I'm a bit old fashioned...I still think it's better to learn on the real thing.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos