This Thread is Closed.

08:30 AM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
CubbyNick42
@NickDevlin
Atlanta, GA
Male - 28 Years Old
What would you consider an overpay?
Over 4 years, more than $15MM per. He's earned more, but he's already past 30.
08:31 AM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
xbrokendownx
Lets Go.
Southampton, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Platinum Member
if its between those 3, I would certainly hope they keep Cano and Granderson

I like Swisher, but as people have said, he will get way overpaid.
02:51 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
thejetstolehome
Benny the Jet
if its between those 3, I would certainly hope they keep Cano and Granderson

I like Swisher, but as people have said, he will get way overpaid.

And Granderson won't? He's going to be a year older going into FA and already has some alarming offensive tendencies. I think Swisher will be a lot cheaper than Granderson and be a safer bet to maintain his current level of production.
03:17 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
Eich696
Amaro Jr.
South Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
Yeah I'd go cano and swisher.
03:22 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
thejetstolehome
Benny the Jet
Swisher will also likely require a shorter contract than Granderson will, which can't be discounted.
04:02 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
gonz
///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\
I just read a piece on an Indians blog illustrating how not only was this year's Tribe rotation the worst in the majors, but probably the worst in franchise history and one of the worst in baseball history. Here are some impressively ugly bullet points:

"- Tomlin and Jeanmar Gomez were both among the 20 worst starters in MLB this season and among the 20 worst in team history too.

- Jimenez had the 5th worst ERA in team history. His ERA- (which adjusts for seasonal and park factors) was the 2nd worst in Indians history among qualified starters.

- If you drop the standard to 100 innings pitched, Jimenez had "only" the 10th worst ERA- in team history, but Lowe had the 7th worst and Tomlin had the 3rd worst.

- Tomlin's ERA- rates as the worst in MLB for 2012 (100+ innings). Lowe, Jimenez, and Justin Masterson were also among the bottom twenty.

- Tomlin gave up a slugging percentage of .518, the worst in team history among pitchers with 100+ innings.

- Jimenez gave up an on-base percentage of .365, worst in team history among pitchers with 150+ innings.

- Jimenez allowed the most stolen bases per inning and threw the 2nd most wild pitches per inning of any qualified starter in team history.

Collectively, the Indians' starting pitchers put up their own set of impressive figures for the 2012 season:

- ERA of 5.25, the 5th worst in team history and an ERA- of 133, the very worst in Indians history and tied for the 6th worst in American League history.

- 913.2 innings, fourth fewest in team history.

- 599 total runs, 1026 hits, and 108 stolen bases (not entirely on the pitchers, I know), all of these were the absolute worst in baseball in 2012, even though they pitched so few innings.

- Just 6.12 K/9, 2nd worst in 2012 and 3.46 BB/9, 3rd worst in 2012.

These next stats are more "advanced," but you can read more about them at Fangraphs' glossary (I've provided links):

- The Indians WPA (win probability added) was -12.92, the worst of any team in 2012, the worst in team history (this stat dates to 1974, so it's the worst at least since then), and the 2nd worst in history by any team (again, since 1974).

- The Indians RE24 (run expectancy above average) was -147.01. This stat also dates to 1974 and that figure is by far the worst of any team over that time.

None of the Indians starters finished with a positive bWAR, Justin Masterson finished at 0.0 to lead the team. There were six pitchers who made at least 15 starts for the Indians. If you remember but one fun fact from this article, perhaps it should be this:

Never in baseball history had any team had five pitchers make 15 or more starts while compiling a bWAR of 0.0 or worse, but the 2012 Indians came up with six of them."

04:34 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
Zeran
Vampire
damn.
04:57 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
gonz
///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\
Yeah, have fun with that Tito.
05:38 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
pand75
@pand75
Toronto, On
Male - 27 Years Old
Anyone got a stream for this game?
05:49 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
West Chester, PA
Male - 29 Years Old
Over 4 years, more than $15MM per. He's earned more, but he's already past 30.

I think I'd take him on this. Sox first base is a black hole with no internal options in sight. Also, with so much financial room, they can afford to over play a handful of players.

My gut tells me Swish ages fairly well.
05:58 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
West Chester, PA
Male - 29 Years Old
I just read a piece on an Indians blog illustrating how not only was this year's Tribe rotation the worst in the majors, but probably the worst in franchise history and one of the worst in baseball history. Here are some impressively ugly bullet points:

"- Tomlin and Jeanmar Gomez were both among the 20 worst starters in MLB this season and among the 20 worst in team history too.

- Jimenez had the 5th worst ERA in team history. His ERA- (which adjusts for seasonal and park factors) was the 2nd worst in Indians history among qualified starters.

- If you drop the standard to 100 innings pitched, Jimenez had "only" the 10th worst ERA- in team history, but Lowe had the 7th worst and Tomlin had the 3rd worst.

- Tomlin's ERA- rates as the worst in MLB for 2012 (100+ innings). Lowe, Jimenez, and Justin Masterson were also among the bottom twenty.

- Tomlin gave up a slugging percentage of .518, the worst in team history among pitchers with 100+ innings.

- Jimenez gave up an on-base percentage of .365, worst in team history among pitchers with 150+ innings.

- Jimenez allowed the most stolen bases per inning and threw the 2nd most wild pitches per inning of any qualified starter in team history.

Collectively, the Indians' starting pitchers put up their own set of impressive figures for the 2012 season:

- ERA of 5.25, the 5th worst in team history and an ERA- of 133, the very worst in Indians history and tied for the 6th worst in American League history.

- 913.2 innings, fourth fewest in team history.

- 599 total runs, 1026 hits, and 108 stolen bases (not entirely on the pitchers, I know), all of these were the absolute worst in baseball in 2012, even though they pitched so few innings.

- Just 6.12 K/9, 2nd worst in 2012 and 3.46 BB/9, 3rd worst in 2012.

These next stats are more "advanced," but you can read more about them at Fangraphs' glossary (I've provided links):

- The Indians WPA (win probability added) was -12.92, the worst of any team in 2012, the worst in team history (this stat dates to 1974, so it's the worst at least since then), and the 2nd worst in history by any team (again, since 1974).

- The Indians RE24 (run expectancy above average) was -147.01. This stat also dates to 1974 and that figure is by far the worst of any team over that time.

None of the Indians starters finished with a positive bWAR, Justin Masterson finished at 0.0 to lead the team. There were six pitchers who made at least 15 starts for the Indians. If you remember but one fun fact from this article, perhaps it should be this:

Never in baseball history had any team had five pitchers make 15 or more starts while compiling a bWAR of 0.0 or worse, but the 2012 Indians came up with six of them."

If it makes you feel any better, Red Sox starters contributed a combined -2.2 rWAR.
07:09 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
Chicago
Male
Baseball .gif of the year? It's up there for me:

07:08 AM on 10/09/12 
User Info.
emmx8D
Thanks Daaaaaaaaaan
Pittsburgh,...
Female
I know this may be a long shot, and it's post season where this team doesn't exist, but any pirates fans in here?!
07:08 AM on 10/09/12 
User Info.
emmx8D
Thanks Daaaaaaaaaan
Pittsburgh,...
Female
Baseball .gif of the year? It's up there for me:

gold
07:22 AM on 10/09/12 
User Info.
SamuelJLast
What's Yahoo Screen?
Ipswich, UK
Male - 28 Years Old
This is probably my favourite gif of the season.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos