AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Random News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Random
Inside AP.net

It's The End of the Galaxy As We Know It ... And I...

Posted by: Jason Tate (05/31/12)
If you couldn't tell from the last few news posts that I'm clearly in a weird mood as the day winds down, here's one for you (and no, I'm not posting about zombies): our galaxy is fucked ... in 6 billion years.
From the ArticleWhen Andromeda gets here, the sun will likely be pushed out much farther into the universe. By that time though, Earth will have become too hot to be inhabited by humans anyway. Our sun will not be directly hit when the initial collision happens in 4 billion years. But in 6 billion years, when the merger is complete, our sun will die.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 70
04:24 PM on 05/31/12
The Minn
User Info.
i'd rather it hit this year. too many idiots. you can include me if you want, i don't care.
04:25 PM on 05/31/12
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
04:26 PM on 05/31/12
ghelms88
Back by Popular Demand
User Info.
But...what happen to 2012?
04:26 PM on 05/31/12
RyanGarner
Registered Member
User Info.
I'd love to see this happen from afar.
04:36 PM on 05/31/12
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
Interesting.
04:39 PM on 05/31/12
i like apples
Kyle Max
User Info.
Tate, when are you gonna start posting positive news about the Galaxy? Always just the negative.
04:40 PM on 05/31/12
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
I wonder in how many years it will take for humans to develop the technology it will take to travel to other planets. visit other galaxies? reach the speed of light? etc. Maybe hundreds of years from now. Maybe we'll never be able to do that. It's always certainly interesting to think about how far technology has come the last one hundred years. Even the last fifty. And how far technology will go.
04:43 PM on 05/31/12
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
User Info.
We'll have long since overpopulated this planet and gone extinct, so I'm not particularly worried about this. That and the fact that I don't plan on living 6 billion years.
04:43 PM on 05/31/12
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Makes you wonder.. what if? What if human life doesn't develop far enough to produce technology to live elsewhere, to travel to other galaxies and inhabit other galaxies/worlds? What IF 6 billion years from now marks the end of 'human' life as we know it?
04:48 PM on 05/31/12
Tilde
Rudiger.
User Info.
Tate, when are you gonna start posting positive news about the Galaxy? Always just the negative.

Hahaha ^

I was watching NASA's live chat about this earlier. I love that people take an interest despite the fact it will never directly impact anyone on earth because we will all be fried long beforehand
04:48 PM on 05/31/12
TravisSaidSo
User Info.
6 billion years is an incredibly long time and I guess nothing lasts forever
04:49 PM on 05/31/12
texan4lif281
User Info.
But...what happen to 2012?

Well with leap years added in or whatever, 2012 should happened like last year or something.
04:50 PM on 05/31/12
_veges_
User Info.
I wonder in how many years it will take for humans to develop the technology it will take to travel to other planets. visit other galaxies? reach the speed of light? etc. Maybe hundreds of years from now. Maybe we'll never be able to do that. It's always certainly interesting to think about how far technology has come the last one hundred years. Even the last fifty. And how far technology will go.
I'd venture that if we're still around in 1 billion years we'll have figured all that out
04:54 PM on 05/31/12
Formatfun
Format, The, Format, The
User Info.
That and the fact that I don't plan on living 6 billion years.
Well I certainly was. I'm disappointed.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums