Username
Password
AP.net Reviews News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Reviews
Inside AP.net

Music Videos--Your Thoughts?

Posted by: Blake Solomon (11/08/07)
If you’ve spent vast amount of time on this website (and let’s face it, you have), you’ve probably seen countless news posts about new music videos from your favorite band. Ever since MTV pounced on the scene with quick-edit, gimmicky, visual representations of songs, it seemed we were hooked. There have been plenty of memorable ones, like Daft Punk’s video for “Around The World” or Beastie Boys’ “Sabotage.” As you well know, there are some horrible ones: anything by David Hasselhoff, Escape The Fate’s “Not Good Enough For Truth In Cliché,” and Hoobastank’s “The Reason,” just to name a few.

What are some of your favorite music videos? What videos do you wish were never made? Has a music video ever changed your mind about a song? But most importantly, are music videos still relevant? MTV spends minutes a day showcasing new videos. Alternative outlets like Fuse can be expensive to add to one’s cable diet. YouTube, however, has allowed every joe schmo to create their very own video for the new, let’s say, Boys Like Girls song. For each person with talent, there seems to be countless others clogging up our hallowed Internet tubes. Do you like seeing people create their own videos, or should that be left to the artist?

Don't worry, Anton will be back next week to give the ol' discussion a much-needed grammatical/creative uplifting. Thanks for bearing with me and get to talking!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 142
11:38 AM on 11/08/07
mrzippo3
User Info.
My current favorite is The Swellers' video for "bottles" ..pretty hilarious.
11:40 AM on 11/08/07
JackBauer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
For my money, there wasn't a better video than All the Small Things. To me that seemed to cement Blink as having made it and the way they lampooned those videos is still classic. That to me was Blink at their peak without the squabbling and what not.
11:40 AM on 11/08/07
live4music
Digitally Bathing
User Info.
music videos are a lost art. i mean think about it, if you are watching tv you dont want to just hear a song, you need visual representation. the idea of a music video to begin with is quite smart. i've always been a fan of anything by michel gondry and many marilyn manson videos such as "coma white" or "the beautiful people". i really like the video for "digital bath" b/c it looks like the band made it themselves and is just chill. but for me the classics are michel gondry's works with bjork especially. im also fond of the classic "smack my bitch up" vid but thats only b/c i like plot twists. music videos becoming extinct is a lost art
11:41 AM on 11/08/07
Same
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Of Montreal - Heimdalsgate Like A Promethean Curse has me asking myself OH MY GOD WHAT DRUGS DO I NEED TO BE ON? THIS IS COOL.
11:42 AM on 11/08/07
foofiter02
Tom/Burn The Ballroom
User Info.
Everlong by The Foo Fighters. Best video ever made. Michel Gondry is the king.
11:44 AM on 11/08/07
mrzippo3
User Info.
Also, "It's All Down Hill From Here" by NFG is one of my favorite videos of all time.. that video rules
11:47 AM on 11/08/07
trindaddy
Trinconceivable
User Info.

gotta love feliz navidad by home grown.
11:48 AM on 11/08/07
Evyboy914
User Info.
Mute Math - Typical
11:50 AM on 11/08/07
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
Anything from Sigur Ros. Glosoli in particular.

11:55 AM on 11/08/07
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
And, I think music videos are still relevant, but MTV is not. Do they even play music videos anymore?

Think of those OK Go videos. They put that band back on people's radars. Or that Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip song, "Thou Shalt Always Kill".
11:56 AM on 11/08/07
raven3086
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
im a fan of this one... mostly cuz me and my boys made it... and it doesnt suck, i promise

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jqd_jRcyRMs
11:57 AM on 11/08/07
the sob
is a byrddog
User Info.
i always loved Jew's the middle

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZD8Dnd40EF8
12:00 PM on 11/08/07
eMart
hurm
User Info.
I'll be the first to say it before 100 other people do, Brand New-Sic Transit Gloria.

Oh and Michael Jackson-Thriller.
12:00 PM on 11/08/07
CursedCarolers
User Info.
I'm currently reading "Money For Nothing" by Saul Austerlitz. It's the entire history of the american music video. It's a great book, but it's a bit like reading a text book. At any rate, although the music video functions mostly as an advertisement it's probably one of the best art forms out there. It takes all that is visual art and combines it with audible art.

Great directors...Mark Romanek, Spike Jonze, Godley and Creme and of course Michel Gondry.

Picking great videos is hard though...My favorites change weekly haha.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests