AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
So Long Forgotten - Beneath Our Noble Heads Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.85
Musicianship 9.2
Lyrics 8.55
Production 8.1
Creativity 8.85
Lasting Value 8.55
Reviewer Tilt 9.1
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

So Long Forgotten - Beneath Our Noble Heads

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (11/08/07)
So Long ForgottenBeneath Our Noble Heads
Record Label: Unsigned?!
Release Date: May 2007

Nostalgia is supposed to be a good thing. The word’s connotation, at least in everyday life, is overwhelmingly positive. Yet, in musical contexts, if an album sounds like something from the past, it’s cast aside, degraded. I’m guilty of this mentality, too. It’s just that we have such vast opportunities to hear new music at pretty much all times. Why would we regress to sounds we heard last week, last month or last year? I sound negative, but this isn’t that kind of review. So Long Forgotten made me realize I should celebrate albums with the ability to revert me to those hallowed albums of yesteryear (or more realistically for our generation, yestersecond). I agonized over whether I should just come out and say what classic album Beneath Our Noble Heads reminds me of. However, I don’t want to give anyone false hopes or expectations, but I do want people to listen to So Long Forgotten. Against my better judgment I decided to insert a few helpful clues into this write-up. Keep your eyes peeled.

Beneath Our Noble Heads doles out heavy doses of ambient indie rock. Micah Boyce has a scratchy, unpolished delivery, which makes harmonies on songs like “The Color On His Hands” and “Pleasantries Behind” all the more worthwhile. So Long Forgotten would be right at home on the moon, blasting bouncing basslines and ambient, shoegazing grandiosities. The scene hasn’t produced music like this since, let’s say, 2003. “Harlot” takes its dear sweet time with Joe Brown’s bass grooves and Dustin Hoke’s lethargic riffs filling up the stereo. Boyce finally enters, sounding very far off: “It’s all the same / And it’s where I belong.” All too often these days, songs speed towards climaxes offering short-term fixes to overdone sounds. So Long Forgotten make us wait and they make it worth our time. The lyrics of Beneath Our Noble Heads are undeniably Christian, speaking of wars, unanswerable questions and the like. If anything, though, they speak of morality and a dying world. Religious or not, it’s hard to disagree. During a particularly melodic moment in “Centuries Of Knowledge Mistaken For Omniscience” we hear the words: “O no, these arms aren’t reaching / Maybe they’re too stiff / Maybe they’re too thin / Beneath our noble heads we contain the hearts of children / If only we could lose our heads, and let the youth become our necks.” A wonderful, thought-provoking sentiment; ponder it for a while.

“O, How Fair, How Elegant An Evil” takes languid guitar manifestations to the next level. Just as the strums hit overdrive, Cameron Yergler and Hoke put the pedal to the metal (so to speak!). Barriers and conventional song structures are shattered. The true highlight comes when roughly layered vocals and a violin clash in discordant bliss. As you can clearly see, this stuff really brings the pretentiousness out in me. I should be peeved, but right now I’m content: At this moment I’m listening to better music than you. Harsh, but true.

Recommended If You Like: mewithoutYou, Overview, sounds turning to silence, 100,000 memories, (new) As Cities Burn

This is not dystrophy but desirewww.myspace.com/solongforgotten

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17.
10:30 PM on 11/08/07
Jtrain039
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice review! I saw these guys about a month ago, as well as bought this album from them. I had never heard of them beforehand, but never the less enjoyed every minute of their show. They did remind me very much of mewithoutyou! Anyways I was very surprised/excited to see a review for this album on here! I haven't listened to it more than twice, but that will surely be happening soon
03:49 AM on 11/09/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
Nice review, I love mewithoutYou and really like the new ACB record, so I'll have to give this a shot.
07:33 AM on 11/09/07
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
I'm so freakin stoaked that these guys are finally getting some recognition. I saw them play three years ago on New Years and I have seen them three or four times since then too. They deserve every bit of fame they get.
10:03 AM on 11/09/07
Travis Parno
my sensible heart
User Info.
"At this moment I’m listening to better music than you. Harsh, but true."

Hilarious, and true.
10:27 AM on 11/09/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
anyone guess the album yet?????
11:08 AM on 11/09/07
char
uproar east strike west
User Info.
How To Start a Fire?

I don't think I'd call that album a classic though...
11:27 AM on 11/09/07
pickett47
Yup. I reckon.
User Info.
I'm so happy you reviewed this, Blake. I love these guys. They are amazing people who really pour it all out into their music. Thanks for helping spread the word!
12:49 PM on 11/09/07
krashtype
So Registered Right Now
User Info.
Oh man, SLF on absolutepunk? They used to make my hamburgers. Hopefully good things are ahead for them, they deserve it for sticking with it so long.
01:24 PM on 11/09/07
lovelesscrux
(wanted with the southside)
User Info.
one o fthe best cd's this year. so great. everyone should get it
02:47 PM on 11/09/07
thatsporter14
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
these guys here are absolutly amazing... i from the area theyre from... ive seen them play many times and they never let me down... they put their hearts and souls into their music
06:45 PM on 11/09/07
Neal_OConnor
User Info.
whoa, i have this cd in my car right now. and yeah, it is actually really good!

word to the "Recommended If You Like: Overview". while it isn't an obvious comparison, i think both bands share an appeal to listeners who enjoy "cerebral" or progressive music that also has pop sensibility.

good review!
07:16 PM on 11/09/07
headclub
so here i am, are you ready?
User Info.
this cd is amazing.

i saw them with straylight run and as cities burn and paulson this past tuesday. i talked to the singer, Micah, and he gave me this cd for free

i love it
10:42 AM on 11/10/07
CombatRaven
User Info.
This cd is fantastic. I'm excited to see the review on here. I saw them a couple months ago with Spoken and was blown away. Sadly all but 3 of us in the crowd didn't get it and talked through the whole set. The lead singer got kinda pissed and said "Sorry if we're boring you guys." But anyway, this album is one of the best of the year, go buy it.
10:07 AM on 11/11/07
Jtrain039
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This cd is fantastic. I'm excited to see the review on here. I saw them a couple months ago with Spoken and was blown away. Sadly all but 3 of us in the crowd didn't get it and talked through the whole set. The lead singer got kinda pissed and said "Sorry if we're boring you guys." But anyway, this album is one of the best of the year, go buy it.

was this the show in Rock Falls??? if it was... then that was where i saw them too!! and i do agree with you that the crowd was terrible. i was one of the few people paying attention and into the band.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests