Password

Album Review
The Rocket Summer - Life Will Write The Words Album Cover

The Rocket Summer - Life Will Write The Words

Reviewed by
The Rocket SummerLife Will Write The Words
Record Label: Aviate Records
Release Date: June 5, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Following the breakthrough success of Do You Feel, Bryce Avary followed similar format with Of Men & Angels in 2010. With a bigger budget, production, and promotions, the record allowed Avary to expand his sound, fine-tuning his vocal range and sound. However, with Life Will Write The Words, Avary completely returns to his original DIY roots, recording the entire record himself on his own label Aviate Records.

If Of Men & Angels is a record of finding faith, then Life Will Write This Words is one of valuing experiences of life and learning by doing. Thematically, this record does not delve as spiritually as its predecessor. Rather, Avary writes of his view on the current state of the world – themes of modern life, hard work, and losing youth all weave into the words.

Both vocally and musically, the DIY effort allows Avary to show off his abilities more so than any other Rocket Summer release. His jittery piano playing gives motion to “200000,” a track where Avary experiments with syncopated rhythms. Both “Prove It” and “Circa 46” also convey the growth of his prowess behind the keys. The prevalence of the piano this time around adds another layer to The Rocket Summer, easily resulting in Avary’s biggest accomplishment to date with this record. His vocal power is more apparent than ever on the uplifting “Underrated” and rocking opener “Run and Don’t Stop,” a song that is simply sounds colossal and should fill arenas.

Lyrically, Avary is as direct and sincere as ever. On “Old Love,” he addresses the current state of love in the world as passionless and insincere, singing “I want to love like my grandfather loved his wife, but I got some problems with the way I tick / We are addicted to the world and we want more of it / My generation heard of old love and commitment, but did it stick?” As socially conscious as ever, Avary isn’t holding any thoughts back this time around, wasting no time singing of his beliefs in genuine passion, commitment, and love.

Combining the huge sound of Of Men & Angels with the youthful honesty of Hello, Good Friend and Do You Feel, Avary has created his best record yet with Life Will Write These Words. Recording the entire record himself, it’s clear that the man behind The Rocket Summer has all the talent in the world – and this is the record that sets that in stone.

8/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 45
09:37 PM on 06/04/12
tacosforcharles
it all ends
User Info.
Good review sir. Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow.
09:37 PM on 06/04/12
Penguin
Twenty Centuries Of Sleep
User Info.
I am so excited to hear this. The review is really great, too! Short and to the point.
10:01 PM on 06/04/12
XLT917
We're never dead unless we give up.
User Info.
Awesome review, extremely excited to pick this up.
10:02 PM on 06/04/12
PermanentTourists
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I could hardly get through the first paragraph.

But plan on listening to this tonight.
10:02 PM on 06/04/12
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
Of Men and Angels was a mixed bag for me, but this review is at least giving me the motivation to check this out.
10:03 PM on 06/04/12
tacosforcharles
it all ends
User Info.
I'd be shocked if this surpassed Do You Feel for me. That album is a classic pop rock album in my eyes.
10:05 PM on 06/04/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
I agree with a lot of what you have to say about this album, but this is Rolling Stone reviewing, more blurb than review. You go into so little depth. You cite one lyric from the whole record.
10:12 PM on 06/04/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
Phenomenal cd--definitely his best yet.

Like I said in the stream thread as well, it's consistent from start to finish. Some of my favorites from the album are "Rescuing Type" and "Ashes Made of Spades".

And with a RIYL like that, who could refuse?
10:26 PM on 06/04/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
Also, not to be a dick, but just a fact-check: Bryce recorded almost every note of Of Men and Angels himself, not with a full band.
10:45 PM on 06/04/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I agree with a lot of what you have to say about this album, but this is Rolling Stone reviewing, more blurb than review. You go into so little depth. You cite one lyric from the whole record.
Understandable. Thanks for the criticism/input Chris - I'll keep that in mind for future reviews.

Also, not to be a dick, but just a fact-check: Bryce recorded almost every note of Of Men and Angels himself, not with a full band.
Ah crap totally knew that - I even reviewed that one ha. I just got it confused since he took the full band on Warped that year and I know that guitar player.
10:51 PM on 06/04/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
Understandable. Thanks for the criticism/input Chris - I'll keep that in mind for future reviews.

Ah crap totally knew that - I even reviewed that one ha. I just got it confused since he took the full band on Warped that year and I know that guitar player.
Haha. It's easy to forget it was just him, because the arrangements are so full-bodied and well-realized it just feels like a whole band.

And yeah, not trying to be a dick. I just think you can review with a lot more depth than this particular one. You know I like you, dude.
12:40 AM on 06/05/12
mbao
I'm on the up and up.
User Info.
I liked Do You Feel. It was a good album that came together very well, and it had a lot of good songs. But that was also its problem: it was just that, good.

Still, that RIYL made me raise an eyebrow. Color me interested.
01:05 AM on 06/05/12
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
Never once listened to this band, but that RIYL has me all sorts of interested...
01:30 AM on 06/05/12
scottwh
Rawk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice review!

Just one quick question -- what exactly did you mean with the "timing and signatures" phrase regarding "200,000"?

I couldn't tell if you meant for timing to be "rhythm" and signatures to be "time signatures". If not, I'm confused! Any thoughts?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos