AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Jason Myles Goss - 06.05.12

Jason Myles Goss - 06.05.12

Interviewed by
Jason Myles Goss - 06.05.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Jason Myles Goss

www.jasonmylesgoss.com
www.facebook.com/jasonmylesgoss
www.twitter.com/jasonmylesgoss

1. How did you get your band name?

It was given to me on the day I was born. My Uncle Myles was a butcher in Pennsylvanian Dutch country and the origin of my last name means "dweller-near-goose-farm," which, I guess, means someone who likes to stand around in the mud a lot.

2. How did this band get started?

My friend brought over his kids-sized, imitation Stratocaster that he got for Christmas and he showed me how to play "Wipe Out" and "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" and that is where the rumblings began. I think once you sing "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" in your dining room, you are officially in a band.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

The first music video I ever saw was Debbie Gibson's "Shake Your Love" on MTV when I was seven years old. I would sit in front of the TV and wait and wait to see if it would come on again. When it did, I would dance and jump up and down on this old, brown recliner chair that we had in our den.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band. Because he wrote "Night Moves"

5. Best food to eat on tour?

A well-balanced, cost-effective, non-carcinogenic meal would be the best food....but that never happens, so you usually drive around for half and hour praying for a Panera Bread. For the "I forgot to eat dinner and am now routing around a Sheetz gas station mini-mart at 12am in West Virginia because I am hungry" food stop, I like to go with corn nuts, beef jerky and some kind of healthy, sugar, vitamin, water concoction -- something backed by someone who knows a lot about nutrition...like 50 Cent.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

I hope people listen. If people give it a try and they dig it, they should listen to it. If it's not their cup of tea, no hard feelings. Its not like one of those infomercials where I can say that the music "slices, dices, will do your taxes, pick up your kids from school and have dinner on the table waiting for when you get back." Although, I am not saying it can't do those things.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Rowdy Roddy Piper. Anytime you can enter a packed arena, covered in baby oil and playing the bagpipes, you know that life is good.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

My parents and my fiancee, I don't know where I would be without them.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I think it's rolling along and doing its best, just like the rest of us, trying hard to keep pace with this social networking, mega-media juggernaut. I have never felt like I worked in the music industry really, my stuff is on a smaller scale than what I would consider to be part of an industry. I have never been in a boardroom with a man smoking a cigar telling me to "sign here."

10. Memorable tour experience?

I once had a show at Gettysburg College in Pennsylvania. Coming from NYC, for whatever reason they had shut down the PA turnpike and this was before GPS systems were common place. Approaching the campus, hours late, my gas take was on empty and I got lost and was driving around the Gettysburg battlefields at 11pm in the pitch blank, alone, trying to find where I was supposed to be. I thought I was going to run out of gas on the battlefields and be stranded where thousands of people had lost their lives. I luckily found my way to the show, but I kept thinking how eerie and awful it would have been to break down there.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

It's a good place to catch up on all the craziness.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

"Falling Down" by Tom Waits

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I would love to go to Italy, I have never been before.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Bob Dylan. My dad would take me flea market shopping every Sunday in his black Lincoln Town Car, which, when you're ten, feels like an oil tanker. He would play Bob Dylan records the whole way and smoke Garcia Vegas. I can still hear him singing "Dear landlord, please don't put a price on my soul" from the John Wesley Harding album. We would walk through the maze of tables and vendors and then I would get some Sour Patch Kids and head on back home with Mr. Dylan singing away.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

My superpower would be that I never had to sleep, that I just didn't get tired. It'd be like getting an extra third of a lifetime.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

I pace a lot. And I do a pyramid of jumping jacks based on the Fibonacci sequence.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

My ears are uneven by almost three-quarters of an inch and my right leg is crooked.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I think in a lot of ways the radio is presenting an illusion of options when in fact those options aren't really there. Like, how you can pick up any ten processed products in the grocery store and at least half are mostly corn syrup. They each have their separate box, one's a roll-up, one's a cookie, but, really, they're pretty much the same. I think the radio is playing a lot of corn syrup. That's not to say corn syrup isn't good, it's really hard to get away from for a variety of reasons, but, too much of it will leave you sick and sapped of all energy. But, at the same time, I dream about hearing a song of mine on the radio. I think for any artist that has to be an incredible feeling. I would love for that many people to have an opportunity to hear a song of mine. However, I don't really think radio, as a format, is a place where any band can flourish, because radio is not about nurturing sustainable careers. In fact, I bet, if you were to have a hit song on the radio and that is all people heard about, any rumblings of a career that you had, could easily implode. I think the only chance an act has of flourishing is by doing the work, not taking the short cuts, and investing in yourself and finding a team of people invested over the long term.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I like to cook, take my dog to the park and hang out with my family. I am a home body.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I can make a mean pasta fagioli.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
10:48 AM on 06/06/12
CharlieCrap
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I always look at these to see if someone is actually funny and this guy is! Hooray!

The music sounds like something my mom would be proud of me for making, though. FUCK THAT MAKE PARENTS MAD

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos